Urban myth or unfortunate fact ?

This begs the question: is this reality? Are people genuinely prepared to resort to extreme measures over trivial disputes? Why can't conflicts be resolved amicably, without the threat of violence hanging over us?

thailand is no different from other countries in this repect, and much safer than many, in the usa for example, a small slight can result in someone getting a gun and killing people, usually at their place of education or work.

in the uk, thankfully with robust firearms laws, looking at someone wrongly, criticising someone can result in a stabbing.

for sure certain individuals around the world need to calm down, and as you say resolve conflicts amicably. i don't have much hope.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Hummin said:

Christ sake, stay home

After many years in Thailand, or elsewhere, I have an understanding why some poeple always meet trouble wherever they go, and it is not about Thailand or thai culture! 

Never experienced one incident in Thailand for 20 years, and very few any other places

Not had any myself, but I saw a few with other people. In one a moron farang got the beating he richly deserved for behaving badly in a gogo, and I was able to get a couple of Thai cops to help a farang getting beaten up by bargirls.

I always felt safer in Bkk than in Auckland or London.

On 5/4/2024 at 2:18 AM, OneMoreFarang said:

Maybe that is what you call a fulfilled life. But personally, I am happy when I live a quiet life without any incidents where I fight and end up in a hospital.

Your fulfilled life is drooling while looking at girls at least halve your age in a GoGo?

22 hours ago, cdemundo said:

You have had 100 fights?

Is that more than Mike Tyson?

You must go looking for trouble.

You would be amazed, how many drunk foreigners make problems with the girls in the Red light area of Amsterdam.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FritsSikkink said:

Your fulfilled life is drooling while looking at girls at least halve your age in a GoGo?

Not really. Most of my life is productive and I live happily with my longtime girlfriend.

Sometimes I visit a couple of bars and I look at sexy girls, and maybe I buy them a drink or two. I don't remember any of them telling me they don't want the drinks and they don't want to be touched. Most want more action and more money. And they pretend to like me. That's their job.

Many men, including me, like to see pretty young girls, and they don't care about old women. And many men accept that 99% of girls are not really interested in "old men" - and anybody over 40 is old in the eyes of a 20-year-old. Old men who are strong and win fights and all that are still old men. So, from their point of view there won't be much difference between you and me - even if you think they admire your old strong body. 

3B8D01A600000578-4053912-image-m-29_1482

• Like 1

On 5/3/2024 at 4:30 AM, BritManToo said:

My first live in Thai girlfriend admitted she had paid a tuk tuk driver to kill her Swedish husband in a hit and run.

is she single?...lucky for you being such a hopeless romantic she let you live another day

On 5/3/2024 at 1:30 PM, BritManToo said:

My first live in Thai girlfriend admitted she had paid a tuk tuk driver to kill her Swedish husband in a hit and run.

I imagine that info would have added a certain frisson to your relationship...

On 5/3/2024 at 3:31 AM, The Fugitive said:

Depends where it is I suppose. We had a local live music venue open recently. A group consisting of bass and rhythm electric guitars, keyboard player, drummer and vocalist play Thai pop between 9pm and midnight each night. Outside, the owner plays his acoustic guitar with an occasional vocalist. I prefer the outside but my Mrs and Thai friends like the group inside!    

It sounds like your local live music venue offers a diverse range of musical experiences to suit different preferences! Inside, the energetic performances of the band playing Thai pop create a lively atmosphere, perfect for those who enjoy dancing and socializing to upbeat tunes.

• Agree 1

On 5/4/2024 at 1:07 AM, still kicking said:

Well, you must be lucky I am in OZ for about 40 years never had an issue with anybody, lived in LOS for a number of years got broken into twice had one of my apartments burned down and got threatened by my FIL with a shotgun.

I have a feeling your not a likeable person 

Do you get that hint about yourself?