Israel-Hamas Conflict Affects Thai Exports, Claims TPSO

webfact

image.jpeg

The current friction between Israel and Hamas continues to influence Thai exports negatively, states the Trade Policy and Strategy Office (TPSO). In the first quarter of 2024, Thai exports to Israel decreased noticeably while markets in the United Arab Emirates and Qatar performed better. 

Increased shipping costs and delayed delivery times arising from the conflict involving the Red Sea have added to the uncertainty in trade, even as tensions appeared to subside by April end. 

There has been a reduction in Thai imports and exports of particular products like rice, rubber products, and automobiles & equipment in Q1 2024, with continuous growth in canned seafood and computers. The import of crude oil and natural gas from the Middle East continues to be in high demand. 

In response to the rising costs, the Ministry of Commerce discussed adjusting freight charges and incremental increases with shipping companies to help exporters manage costs. They also negotiated about 'Free Time' at ports to ensure efficient container management.

While the conflicts involving Israel, Hamas, and Iran may drag on, the global economy's long-term impact should not be severe. The International Monetary Fund (IMF) forecasts a steady recovery with a 3.2% global economic growth for 2024.

Picture courtesy of National News Bureau of Thailand

news-logo-btm.jpg

-- 2024-05-04

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, webfact said:

The current friction between Israel and Hamas

'Friction'...What a novel way to describe a war between Israel and murderers terrorists...

• Like 1

Blame anything to absolve the government for poor performance. Gimmick a day Srettha meeting scousers and getting his ugly mug in the news instead of solving the economic problem. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Israel and Russia are the leading sabateurs of the world economy at this present time. There's nothing like a war to create just enough uncertainty to damage consumer confidence, and dramatically reduce spending. You can see that in multiple areas of the economy and throughout the retail sectors. 

Stop the insane wars and allow people to lead decent lives. 

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 1

12 hours ago, Ben Zioner said:

Not Israel. Hamas. This is what you wanted to write, I guess.

Nope. Hamas started this present conflict. But, the disproportion and sustained response from Israel is costing the world economy tens of billions of dollars. Consumer confidence is destroyed by sustained conflicts. Israel needs to realize this has to be resolved. 

• Sad 1

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Nick Carter icp said:

It was actually the Palestinians and the Russians who attacked Israel and the Ukraine .

Israel are faring better than the Ukraine in defeating their attackers 

I understand that. But a sustained and highly disproportionate response and war are causing a great deal of anxiety throughout the world, and that is having a horrific effect on many economies. Israel and Russia are the sabateurs here. 

Edited by spidermike007
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Israel and Russia are the leading sabateurs of the world economy at this present time. There's nothing like a war to create just enough uncertainty to damage consumer confidence, and dramatically reduce spending. You can see that in multiple areas of the economy and throughout the retail sectors. 

Stop the insane wars and allow people to lead decent lives. 

Now imagine the USA wouldn't start and/or support all those wars...

They are the biggest warmonger on this planet. Someone has to keep the industrial military complex running. Because someone has to pay for all those politicians.

The USA could stop the wars in Ukraine and Israel almost immediately. They obviously don't want that. 

8 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Now imagine the USA wouldn't start and/or support all those wars...

They are the biggest warmonger on this planet. Someone has to keep the industrial military complex running. Because someone has to pay for all those politicians.

The USA could stop the wars in Ukraine and Israel almost immediately. They obviously don't want that. 

You are correct. And that is a very sad truth. US support for Israel under the present circumstances is bad news, and will likely cost Biden the election, which is worse news. 

13 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

I understand that. But a sustained and highly disproportionate response and war are causing a great deal of anxiety throughout the world, and that is having a horrific effect on many economies. Israel and Russia are the sabateurs here. 

Didn't your Country wage a 20 year war in Afghanistan in response to the 9/11 terror attacks ?

Didn't your country invade Iraq twice ?

Now lets talk about Vietnam and Laos .

Carpeting bombing and agent orange . 

Bit rich of you to accuse other countries of disproportionate responses .

Palestinians and Russians are the invaders .

4 minutes ago, Nick Carter icp said:

Your right both the USA & Israel suck in that regard 😉 

1 hour ago, spidermike007 said:

You are correct. And that is a very sad truth. US support for Israel under the present circumstances is bad news, and will likely cost Biden the election, which is worse news. 

Yes.

And I am pretty sure that Trump will support Israel even more - but those little issues are obviously nothing the "Biden so bad" crowd will think about. 

• Agree 2

10 hours ago, Nick Carter icp said:

Didn't your Country wage a 20 year war in Afghanistan in response to the 9/11 terror attacks ?

Didn't your country invade Iraq twice ?

Now lets talk about Vietnam and Laos .

Carpeting bombing and agent orange . 

Palestinians and Russians are the invaders .

So are you saying that I should take personal responsibility for the decisions that my country has made over the last 60 years? Is that correct, is that what you're saying? Please explain that one to me, please explain why as an American I can't have an opinion about ongoing wars around the world. 

And by the way I very much opposed the Vietnam War, to this day I thought it was a horrendous mistake and genocidal. I feel the same way about Afghanistan and Iraq. Are you happy now? Am I exonerated?