Branston pickle at Tops no longer available?

Posted (edited)

So for years I have bought branston pickle online and recently been buying it at a local Tops supermarket 

Now I see it is no longer available?

It was 160baht a jar

I used to order online for about 240 Inc postage from lazada

Has it now finished in all tops as I went to another one in Hua hin and no luck.

It's not much more but had one broken in the post before and easier to pick a couple of jars locally.

Edited by kwak250

Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, kwak250 said:

So for years I have bought branston pickle online and recently been buying it at a local Tops supermarket 

Now I see it is no longer available?

It was 160baht a jar

I used to order online for about 240 Inc postage from lazada

Has it now finished in all tops as I went to another one in Hua hin and no luck.

It's not much more but had one broken in the post before and easier to pick a couple of jars locally.

Over the years, there have been many times when western products were out of stock.  Sometimes, it was for a few months.  Other times, they didn't come back.  Pickles were hit and miss.  I always stocked up on sweet pickle relish when it was in stock.  (Which probably made me part of the problem)

Never tried Branston Pickle.  What do you use it on?  Sure looks good in the photos on the Bing search.

Edited by impulse

I have all the pickle that was left in Thailand, I brought this subject up months ago, The last Branston available was only small chunk, I got 2, then the last one, Heinz Ploughman's Pickle (just as good if not better), I also brought the last one at whopping 304b delivered. I love my Cheese sandwich with pickle for lunch nearly everyday.  It first started disappearing first from Big C.

3 minutes ago, impulse said:

Never tried Branston Pickle.  What do you use it on?  Sure looks good in the photos on the Bing search.

Goes with loads of things, especially with cheese, pies, pasties, cooked meats.... :licklips:

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

8 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

Heinz Ploughman's Pickle (just as good if not better)

More educational video ...

• Thumbs Up 2

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

Goes with loads of things, especially with cheese, pies, pasties, cooked meats.... :licklips:

Just did a search for "branston pickle recipe".  That does look good.  And all the ingredients available in Chinatown...  Except maybe molasses.

285 g Brown Sugar
40 mL Molasses
5 mL Salt
1 Lemon (cut into pieces)
375 mL Malt Vinegar
3 Tomatoes (roughly chopped)
10 mL Mustard Seeds
10 mL Ground Allspice
5 mL Cayenne Pepper
1 Medium Swede (Diced)
4 cloves Garlic (Finely Chopped)
1 Granny Smith Apple (Diced)
85 g Dates (cut into small pieces)
1 Onion (Diced)
¼ Cauliflower (cut into small pieces)
1 Courguette (Diced)

Small Carrots (large or 2, Diced)

https://steves-kitchen.com/branston-pickle/

Edited by impulse

Posted (edited)

1 minute ago, brianthainess said:

OUT OF STOCK as we said. But thanks to your post I see their piccalilli is back. just ordered 2 . 

Lots in stock from various sellers

Not worried as have a few jars just wondered why tops have none.

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, kwak250 said:

Lots in stock from various sellers

Not worried as have a few jars just wondered why tops have none.

What sellers ? I have to rely on delivery some sellers have minimum order of 6k others 500b min delivery.

Edited by brianthainess

43 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

What sellers ? I have to rely on delivery some sellers have minimum order of 6k others 500b min delivery.

Just bought 2 @209 each

Are you sure you tried as haven't seen any seller saying out of stock

27 minutes ago, kwak250 said:

Just bought 2 @209 each

Are you sure you tried as haven't seen any seller saying out of stock

I was referring to Branston's piccalilli. pickle is out of stock. 

I am holding a jar of Branston pickle hostage and demand a 5,000b ransom to be paid in unmarked notes. I will leave further instructions.

:burp::stoner:   🍕🍕 📺🎞  💤💤

• Thumbs Up 1

How do you open the jar ? I have 2 methods, I find them impossible to open with normal hands, my method 1; turn upside down in a small bowl of hot water, covering just above the lid, then twist off, failing that, 2; do like a karate chop, with the back of a meat cleaver to the lid.     🥋 🔪

2 hours ago, brianthainess said:

How do you open the jar ? I have 2 methods, I find them impossible to open with normal hands, my method 1; turn upside down in a small bowl of hot water, covering just above the lid, then twist off, failing that, 2; do like a karate chop, with the back of a meat cleaver to the lid.     🥋 🔪

If you can't open them give them to your wife to open.

Failing that knife under the lid 

21 minutes ago, kwak250 said:

If you can't open them give them to your wife to open.

Failing that knife under the lid 

Even my wife can't open them, knife under lid I worry the glass may break, However my Daughter who was over on a visit, with huge Muscles, just twisted the lid off with no effort.  💪🏻:giggle:

On 5/4/2024 at 11:58 AM, LennyW said:

AP InterFoods in Hua Hin should have, most expat shops countrywide have in stock again now.

For the last 2 months its been like old mother Hubbards without a bone 🤔

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, brianthainess said:

Very simple, end of a spoon or fork and give a little twist under the rim of the lid, it is just air pressure that needs to be released.