Whats the legal age of consent in Thailand. Its confusing.

16 hours ago, susanlea said:

The topic has nothing to do with marriage and your advice to a 40yo guy is 15yo is ok which will send him to jail in 1 or 2 countries.

But he's not in those countries is he? Which is rather the point. Countries have different laws on many things ,so simply observe them when there

2 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

As if a guy who is with a older gal does not pay. Alot of delusion on this topic. We all pay, one way or another. 

Not all women are this predatory, even with a big age difference. They get access to money and the things it provides, they don't all need to be paid directly.

Just living rent free in an apartment, having the food and bills taken care of, getting a decent education for their half-Western kids, and being lifted into a higher social class, is a pretty big draw for a lot of women.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Young Thai women are not averse to trading sex for money to buy mobile phones and suchlike. I doubt the farang in question knows her well enough to know why she is interested in him. Has he met her parents?

Who cares about the parents?

From how many girlfriends which you ever had in your life did you want to meet her parents?

I met some parents, because the girl wanted that I meet them, it was never my initiative.

And about the why: Who really knows? When I got together with my girlfriend, I asked her if she wants to stay with me. She said yes. She didn't tell me why. And even if she would have told me that I am handsome and yai-dee and whatever, that doesn't mean that was the reason. She doesn't even have to know herself why.

18 hours ago, advancebooking said:

A mate of mine is aged in 40s. He told me an 18 year old is interested in him. In western countries I think this is not a problem. But here I wasn't sure. I told him I thought it was 20 years old. 

If he got involved with this girl and it went pear shaped is he in a spot of bother? He has checked her id card. She is 100% 18 yrs old. 

Not interested in moral opinions, only legal. 

Age of consent is 15 year. Legal (registered) marriage age is 18 years; unregistered village marriage is a different subject. 18 years is also the limit for girls working in a bar (i.e., prostitution), while it's 20 years to visit the nightlife as a guest.

1 hour ago, FritsSikkink said:

Got something to do with morals but sadly not everyone gets that.

What's the moral issue? If both parties are adults and are happy with the relationship?

A moral judgement suggests there is someone being harmed.

I've never heard an argument against it that doesn't basically come down to "I don't like it, that's why it's bad".

• Love It 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Liverpool Lou said:

I have read the PREVENTION AND SUPPRESSION OF PROSTITUTION ACT B.E. 2539 (1996) many times and some daft article's inaccurate assessment  that states that "Yes, it is illegal", then goes on to say "Thailand’s Penal Code does not explicitly state that prostitution is illegal" has no credibility and certainly doesn't override the Act.    Certain aspects are such as soliciting, working in/operating a brothel, pimping, living off the earnings of a prostitute, amongst others are illegal.  The act of paying someone for sex is not illegal on its own.

I heard that some girls got stopped by Thai police officers outside of short time hotels. Then the officers asked them to open their bag and when they found a condom or two that was then evidence enough for the officers to conclude that they were prostitutes and that they better pay a bribe to the officers.

Is that story true? I don't know. Maybe cops just make up whatever "law" they want to make some extra money. 

Edited by OneMoreFarang

1 hour ago, Sandboxer said:

So far we have 4 pages of the typical AN retard archetype dropping brainfarts.

Simple answer: 18

That reminds me of: There is a simple answer for every complex question. And most of the time it's wrong. 

4 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Who cares about the parents?

It's kind of funny. If this was a 20 year old guy and an 18 year old girl, no one would be asking this, and they probably wouldn't meet the parents for months, but because there is an age gap, suddenly he has to seek the parents' permission before even considering dating the girl.

I bet if she wanted to go out and sleep around at the weekend, no one would ask about her parents' input then.

There's just this weird resistance when it comes to older guys being able to sleep with younger women. Western women have these guys really well trained. They'd probably be more angry at and older guy marrying a girl than they would a young guy dating her and treating her badly.

• Like 1

Consent for sex is one thing

there's also the 'taking away a minor away from their parent' or abducton which in this case minor is 15-18, doesn't matter if she consents to having sex or not

Section 317 Whoever, without reasonable cause, takes away a child not yet over fifteen years of age from the parent, guardian or person looking after such child, shall be punished with imprisonment of three to fifteen years and fined of six thousand to thirty thousand Baht.

Whoever dishonestly buys, disposes of or accepts such child to taken away according to the first paragraph, shall be liable to the same punishment as the person who takes the child away. If the offence of this Section has committed for lucre or indecent purpose, the offender shall be punished with imprisonment of five to twenty years and fined of ten thousand to forty thousand Baht.

Section 318 Whoever, takes away a minor over fifteen years but not yet over eighteen years of age from the parent, guardian or person looking after such minor against a will of such minor, shall be punished with imprisonment of two to ten years and fined of four thousand to twenty thousand Baht.

Whoever dishonestly buys, disposes of or accepts a minor to taken away according to the first paragraph, shall be liable to the same punishment as the person who takes such minor away. If the offence according to this Section has committed for lucre or indecent purpose, the offender shall be punished with imprisonment of three to fifteen years and fined of six thousand to thirty thousand Baht.

Section 319 Whoever, takes away a minor over fifteen years of age but not yet over eighteen years of age from the parent, guardian or person looking after such minor for lucre or indecent purpose with the consent of such minor, shall be punished with imprisonment of two to ten years and fined of four thousand to twenty thousand Baht.

Whoever dishonestly buys, disposes, or accepts a minor to taken away according to the first paragraph, shall be liable to the same punishment as the person who takes such minor away.

• Thumbs Up 1

21 minutes ago, BangkokReady said:

There's just this weird resistance when it comes to older guys being able to sleep with younger women. Western women have these guys really well trained. They'd probably be more angry at and older guy marrying a girl than they would a young guy dating her and treating her badly.

I remember when I was maybe 30, back "home", I wasn't interested in 30 year old women. I was attracted to "girls", maybe 20 to 25, or something like that. And I had a little bit of a bad conscience that I was not interested in women of my own age.

I read many psychology books at that time and one day I saw a book with a title like "the history of desire". I read it. It described in detail why almost all men want young and pretty girls and that is just nature. I think it also described why the not so young and not so pretty women didn't like that fact.

After reading this I didn't have a bad conscience anymore. 

• Thumbs Up 1

18 minutes ago, digbeth said:

Consent for sex is one thing

there's also the 'taking away a minor away from their parent' or abducton which in this case minor is 15-18, doesn't matter if she consents to having sex or not

So if she decide to not live with her parents and she decides to live with a guy. And she can walk out any time she wants, how is that abduction? 

4 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

So if she decide to not live with her parents and she decides to live with a guy. And she can walk out any time she wants, how is that abduction? 

That one always seemed a bit iffy to me especially when, say, the girl came from Buriram, was working in a shop in Bangkok, the farang banged her in Bangkok and yet the police still used that method to get money from, sorry, to bring the farang to justice.

It is one of the most common ways a farang gets caught and into big problems in this situation though and can be expensive what with donations to the family, and to the police for their trouble (or no one in uniform would have bothered looking for him in the first place)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Not up to her, up to the parents to press charge or not

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, OneMoreFarang said:

to be fair, happens to thais to, teenage boys hook up with the daughter, next day the parents come after the boy's family, pay up or we go to the police 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

What a sad and obnoxious topic!

I assume you are all mature adults and yet you are arguing over sex with people under the age of 20!

You should all be disgusted with yourselves!

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, scottiejohn said:

I assume you are all mature adults and yet you are arguing over sex with people under the age of 20!

Well, we are all adults anyway :)

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

14 minutes ago, scottiejohn said:

Now, tell us, which one would you prefer?

brigitte-bardot-1950s-now-v0-g5t4nwut43w

• Sad 1
  • Haha 2

42 minutes ago, Thingamabob said:

That's a bit strong. In my own case I was married to a Brit for 23 years, divorced in 1986, and married a Thai woman iin 1990 with whom I am still happily living. She is 68 and I am 83. Does that make me a loser and a pervert ?

No, it doesn't but a bit weird. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Patanawet said:

Careful of your maths. Aren't Thais one year old on the day of birth?

Yes, always say the age on the next birthday.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, khunPer said:

Age of consent is 15 year. Legal (registered) marriage age is 18 years; unregistered village marriage is a different subject. 18 years is also the limit for girls working in a bar (i.e., prostitution), while it's 20 years to visit the nightlife as a guest.

so if my mate bangs an 18 yr old he cant be locked up?

• Sad 2

8 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

No, I did not leave out anything relevant to the specific question, the legal age of consent in Thailand is 15.  The term 'age of consent' specifically refers to the minimum age at which a person is considered legally competent to provide consent for engaging in sexual acts and that's what he asked about.

Thats not what Im asking at all. Im asking if my friend bangs an 18 year old is he in legal jeopardy. 

• Confused 1