How is Ao Nang now for retirement?

simon43

So this is my situation:

I have been living in Thailand, Myanmar and Laos (my current home) for about 22 years.  Next June I will start to receive my UK state pension of about $1,000 (equivalent), and although I am still teaching science online (getting about $1,500-$2,000) income each month, I want to consider if I can have a modest and healthy life living in Thailand using only my state pension.

This is because who knows what might happen health-wise etc which might mean that I can no longer teach online... I need to think long-term.... Would young kids really want to learn from an 80-year old teacher?

Now why am I thinking of Ao Nang?  Surely I can live more cheaply in north Laos?  Well, yes and no. Although I currently rent a lovely old house on the outskirts of Luang Nang, the rent is $400/month, the air pollution is not good in the burning season (I have a long-term chronic lung 'condition'), and I have no relatives here to call upon in times of dire need.  I could rent a house for perhaps $300, but the savings are not huge.

My Thai ex #3 owns a modern, 2 bedroom house about 2km back from the Ao Nang beachfront. I persuaded her to buy this newly-built house (on a mortgage) many years ago as an investment, or in case her small hotel business in Phuket fails.  Well, what with Covid and the general economic situation in Phuket, he hotel just ticks over and she is often unable to rent her house in Ao Nang, even for the monthly rent of 5,000 baht. She has had many problems paying the low monthly mortgage fee, but the house is not under any sort of repossession order (yet).

(I'm thinking aloud here!).  I can rent her house for 5,000/month, (because she wants someone to live in the house to look after it, and to keep the bank happy with regular mortgage payments - she's not looking to make any profit).  The burning season doesn't affect Krabi as bad as North Laos (We used to run a guesthouse together in Ao Nang about 16 years ago). The sea-air will be good for my lungs.  Medical amenities are nearby (I don't need any regular medical facilities, but who knows as a get older).

For my retirement visa, I would need to use.. er .. available means! But I've done that before a few years ago and never had any problems.

So what would be the disadvantage of living in Ao Nang in my ex #3's house?  I should emphasize that I've known this ex for more than 20 years, and although we were not suitable in a marriage (she doesn't do sex!!), we get on very well as very good friends. She is intelligent and honest, with zero interest in any kind of relationship, with either a Thai or foreigner.

Comments appreciated!

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Really going to depend on how tolerant you are to high tourist numbers, especially during high season.  Love Krabi, but don't think I'd live in the Ao Nang area.

That's cheap enough to motivate one to definitely give it a try, at least for 1 year 👍

Edited by KhunLA
  • Thanks 1

Ao Nang did not impress me at all. Just a Thai beach town full of travellers and cheap restaurants that are basically all alike. Hard to find a simple Thai restaurant.  If it was Krabi town a solid yes, but Ao nang is run down and simply dirty.

• Confused 2

2 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Your past posts lead me to believe you won't be happy wherever you are.

I'm very happy where I am right now 🙂. But I have to be realistic and consider the "what ifs" as I get older. You live with your family.  I live alone.  I'm happy living alone.  If I move to Ao Nang, then I will continue to live alone - my ex doesn't like living in Ao Nang because the air is too humid for her delicate skin. But she still considers me to be her husband and refers to me as that when talking with others.  If my health went south, she would be there in an instant to look after me.

@KhunLA - there are high tourist numbers here in Luang Prabang.  Her house is near the primary school, some 2km back from the town.  It's definitely not a tourist location.  I typically walk 5km every day (to keep my lungs clear), so no issues about being away from the tourist centre.

@Celsius, if I have a cancer scare then I will call upon my private medical insurance again.  I have reinsured with a new company since my cancer scare last year.  That new insurer specifically stated that prostate cancer (or any cancer) is covered in my policy because my UK trip and tests revealed no sign of any prostate cancer.

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, marin said:

Ao Nang did not impress me at all. Just a Thai beach town full of travellers and cheap restaurants that are basically all alike. Hard to find a simple Thai restaurant.  If it was Krabi town a solid yes, but Ao nang is run down and simply dirty.

I would not move to Ao Nang for the tourist sights, with the exception of the beach and sea (I recall vicious dogs on the beach when I lived there before, but there are ways to calm these dogs). This would be my quiet retirement location.  I have to be realistic about my life expectancy with this annoying lung condition (I have had bronchitus etc for the past 2 months here in Laos because of the burning season). I enjoy my ham radio hobby (which I can do from Ao Nang because I hold a Thai ham licence for 22 years).  I enjoy walking for exercise, I enjoy nature and simple things 🙂

• Confused 1

3 minutes ago, bob smith said:

no, it's not.

bob.

Bob we live in different worlds. You have posted here moaning about drunks peeing on your gate, and being loud. Where  live I have never experienced that once. So we see things differently to say the least. 

• Confused 1

17 minutes ago, marin said:

Bob we live in different worlds. You have posted here moaning about drunks peeing on your gate, and being loud. Where  live I have never experienced that once. So we see things differently to say the least. 

where is this magical place where nothing ever goes wrong ?

is it your imagination?

bob.

32 minutes ago, simon43 said:

I would not move to Ao Nang for the tourist sights, with the exception of the beach and sea (I recall vicious dogs on the beach when I lived there before, but there are ways to calm these dogs). This would be my quiet retirement location.  I have to be realistic about my life expectancy with this annoying lung condition (I have had bronchitus etc for the past 2 months here in Laos because of the burning season). I enjoy my ham radio hobby (which I can do from Ao Nang because I hold a Thai ham licence for 22 years).  I enjoy walking for exercise, I enjoy nature and simple things 🙂

You definitely need to move to cleaner air, that seems to fit the bill nicely.  

The air in Ao Nang is very humid (the clouds coming in from the sea can't get over the mountain behind Krabi Town, so drop their rain!).  Hot and humid and salty air is good for my health.

Anyway, it's something for me to consider before the next burning season.

1 hour ago, simon43 said:

So this is my situation:

I have been living in Thailand, Myanmar and Laos (my current home) for about 22 years.  Next June I will start to receive my UK state pension of about $1,000 (equivalent), and although I am still teaching science online (getting about $1,500-$2,000) income each month, I want to consider if I can have a modest and healthy life living in Thailand using only my state pension.

This is because who knows what might happen health-wise etc which might mean that I can no longer teach online... I need to think long-term.... Would young kids really want to learn from an 80-year old teacher?

Now why am I thinking of Ao Nang?  Surely I can live more cheaply in north Laos?  Well, yes and no. Although I currently rent a lovely old house on the outskirts of Luang Nang, the rent is $400/month, the air pollution is not good in the burning season (I have a long-term chronic lung 'condition'), and I have no relatives here to call upon in times of dire need.  I could rent a house for perhaps $300, but the savings are not huge.

My Thai ex #3 owns a modern, 2 bedroom house about 2km back from the Ao Nang beachfront. I persuaded her to buy this newly-built house (on a mortgage) many years ago as an investment, or in case her small hotel business in Phuket fails.  Well, what with Covid and the general economic situation in Phuket, he hotel just ticks over and she is often unable to rent her house in Ao Nang, even for the monthly rent of 5,000 baht. She has had many problems paying the low monthly mortgage fee, but the house is not under any sort of repossession order (yet).

(I'm thinking aloud here!).  I can rent her house for 5,000/month, (because she wants someone to live in the house to look after it, and to keep the bank happy with regular mortgage payments - she's not looking to make any profit).  The burning season doesn't affect Krabi as bad as North Laos (We used to run a guesthouse together in Ao Nang about 16 years ago). The sea-air will be good for my lungs.  Medical amenities are nearby (I don't need any regular medical facilities, but who knows as a get older).

For my retirement visa, I would need to use.. er .. available means! But I've done that before a few years ago and never had any problems.

So what would be the disadvantage of living in Ao Nang in my ex #3's house?  I should emphasize that I've known this ex for more than 20 years, and although we were not suitable in a marriage (she doesn't do sex!!), we get on very well as very good friends. She is intelligent and honest, with zero interest in any kind of relationship, with either a Thai or foreigner.

Comments appreciated!

$1000? I assume you’re quoting per month which maybe a reasonable approximation although I don’t know why you didn’t quote the King’s pound! Should you have a private pension pot, all the better. Current UK full state pension is about £200 per week depending on marital status and having at least 30 years of paying in full NI contributions upon reaching the retirement age of 67 for men to qualify for full state pension. Sure, move anywhere you want to but do keep your passport up to date for any escape that may or not be required (you mention health issues) and to pick up some free spare choppers/specs whilst in the UK!  The expense of international travel could be a problem but I guess you’ve covered this issue in the future pension budget.

As to be teaching the unteachable at 80 years young, that would seem an admirable goal to help negate the terminal boredom of living there full time in retirement, especially for an active mind.

Ao Nang, dunno, as I’ve only stayed there a couple of times, mainly just passing through. Myself, I would go back for a month to see if it still was for me as we sometimes remember times/places being better than they actually were. Up to you, Farang.

4 hours ago, marin said:

Amp & Ing,s....Mama,s Kitchen....Banana House all just outside the tourist strip on the way into Ao Nang traditional Thai food.........been visiting these for the past 10 years :thumbsup:

Posted (edited)

It sounds like you have your mind made up so I would go and live there, if I were you, just for the relatively clean air, if nothing else. Your monthly rent would be very reasonable and you are already familiar with the surrounding area, not to mention that if your health starts to head south, you would have your ex to take care of you. It sounds like a win win to me. Good luck.          P.S. I was living in Chiang Mai with my now wife and after a 2nd bout of bronchitis I said that was it for me We moved from Chiang Mai. It was the best thing I ever did and your health should be most important in your decision making.

Edited by watgate

2 hours ago, watgate said:

It sounds like you have your mind made up so I would go and live there, if I were you, just for the relatively clean air, if nothing else. Your monthly rent would be very reasonable and you are already familiar with the surrounding area, not to mention that if your health starts to head south, you would have your ex to take care of you. It sounds like a win win to me. Good luck.          P.S. I was living in Chiang Mai with my now wife and after a 2nd bout of bronchitis I said that was it for me We moved from Chiang Mai. It was the best thing I ever did and your health should be most important in your decision making.

Yes, it would mostly be for health reasons.  The burning season is almost over here (according to the historical air quality data for the past few years)_.  My plan is to try to 'air-proof' my old Lao house so that the air pollutants cannot get in (a very difficult feat when considering the loose windows and doors etc).  Then I'll see if it has had a good effect next burning season.  If I still get sick, then I'll move down to Ao Nang. (There is a long-term renter in my ex's house who needs 6 months of notice).

Posted (edited)

I see that hotel room prices are reasonable right now in Ao Nang.  I will see if I can fly down via Bangkok and stay for a week in Ao Nang to 'test' any effect on my lungs and to check how things have changed.

Hey, I could stay at this nice-looking little guesthouse on the high street which is currently advertised on trip.com!

https://us.trip.com/hotels/krabi-hotel-detail-709741/ao-nang-vip-hotel/

The only problem is that was MY little hotel that I managed with my Thai wife around 2010.  It has been closed for at least 14 years.....

Edited by simon43

On 5/7/2024 at 12:04 AM, marin said:

So, let me get this right? There's cheap restaurants but no simple Thai restaurants in Ao Nang?

And, it's not rundown and dirty. We stayed at Holiday Ao Nang, super nice hotel.

Just now, EVENKEEL said:

And, it's not rundown and dirty. We stayed at Holiday Ao Nang, super nice hotel.

We stayed in the Avani, with probably the best infinity pool I have seen. But the overall vibe of the place did not impress me at all. As I said I very much enjoyed Krabi town, the hot springs and the crystal lagoon. Ao Nang simply did not impress at all. Was also disappointed in Raillay which was so overbuilt since the last time there 17 years ago. 

First off, do you believe in synchronicity?

Your ex needing someone to look after her place might be such a synchronicity.

Carl Jung didnt take synchronicity lightly. And perhaps neither should you.

Carl Jung quote: The problem of synchronicity has puzzled me ...

I only stayed in AO Nang a few nights about 7 years ago.  Very flash hotel and we enjoyed our time there. 

Was mainly there as a base for diving around the islands. 

The 'township' is very tourist orientated which can wear thin after a short time.  But as a base it was OK. 

The chance to live in your ex's house seems like a good idea and very affordable too.  I'd say go for it. 

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Simon,

years ago when you and wifey #???? had the hotel by the airport I used to stop in and sell you guys wine.

In my wine sales spent a lot of time in Krabi. I think Ao Nang is fine, especially if you say you won't have rent to pay (?).

Grab a couple beers at beach rd. 7/11, kick it on Ao Nang beach wall for sunset, relaxing. The local Thai food spots are on roads behind Ao Nang beachfront. Krabi town not far away, I'll guess as time goes by you'll spend more time there as it's not the tourist throngs, tons of inexpensive food.

Hop skip and a jump to excellent outer islands. Might see you there in a few years, considering it also. We'll enjoy geezer beers on the wall. Cheers! GOM

On 5/7/2024 at 8:04 AM, marin said:

In the many times I've visited Ao Nang since 2000, I would not describe it as "run down and dirty". Even in 2020, it was simply shut down but still clean. I like the place but it is rather touristy. Away from the beach front areas it is better. 5K Baht/Month is good and the air is always better than up north. Why not give it a try?

Posted (edited)
On 5/7/2024 at 1:04 AM, simon43 said:

The air in Ao Nang is very humid (the clouds coming in from the sea can't get over the mountain behind Krabi Town, so drop their rain!).  Hot and humid and salty air is good for my health.

Anyway, it's something for me to consider before the next burning season.

I have been watching the IQAir website very closely during burning season.  They get triple digit days down south too sometimes.  Probably mostly from palm tree burning in Indonesia.  There is no escaping the bad air pollution in Thailand and it seems to be getting worse every year.  

Edited by shdmn

I guess it is free housing? 

Ao Nang I lived before it got to well known, and dropped by once or twice a year the last 7 years. Its okay and a place I could live. Never found that air as bad as Isaan or North.

And as you say, if you get sick, your x will be there. I think it is a good solution

On 6/1/2024 at 2:47 PM, DonniePeverley said:

Do you really just want to move a tourist town ?

You don't have to live in dead central Ao Nang proper. On the way to Khlong Muang are nice little neighborhoods. As mentioned, Krabi town is not so densely touristy

Anyway, the beach beats dusty hot Northern Thailand, although I have a softspot for riverside Kanchanaburi.

Lots of tourists in Bangkok, would you say the same to someone who rents a condo there? Do you live in Thailand, if so, where?

• 4 weeks later...

As an update, I moved from smoky Laos to temporarily stay in Pattaya while I sort out a few admin things (update bank card etc).  The offer from my wife is still on, but I have had another offer to rent a detached house on Koh Lanta for 6,000 baht. Weighing up the 2 houses, the Lanta one is preferred because it has a garden for my radio antennas. I also have a 6,000 house in Khanom right near to the beach. My suitcases are in Khanom right now and the beach is lovely, but I'd like to do some snorkelling/coral reef visits in my dotage and Khanom beach has none of that.  Coral reefs are more accessible from Ao Nang and Lanta.

Anyway, since moving south from Laos to be by the sea, my bronchitis has gone, my coughing and phlegm have gone and I have no need for daily anti-hystamine and mucus thinner medicines :).  Pattaya is not a preferred long-term base for me (cheap condos, hanging 10 meter antenna poles out of the windows upsets the locals!).

• Like 1