Worlds most inefficient a/c system in my condo

My condo had a built-in air-con unit (living room) like the one mentioned by the poster.  I also thought that it looked nicer than a unit bolted to the side of the wall.  A few years ago I started looking into converting to inverters (living and bedroom).  The air-con mechanic explained to me that these “built-in” air-con units are difficult if not impossible to do a through cleaning/servicing.  I made the decision to completely rip out the built-in system.  When I saw the filth of the parts that weren’t accessible with servicing, I knew I made the right decision. 

After dropping a section of the ceiling to allow for adequate overhead, he installed a cassette air-con unit in the center of the living room.  Also replaced the bedroom wall unit.  Both units were Daiken inverters. 

The first thing I noticed when I started using the new units was the noise.  It is unbelievable how much quieter the inverter units are.  The second thing I noticed was that my electric bill dropped by half. 

It was a big mess tearing out the old units and an even bigger mess dropping the ceiling to fit the cassette but in the long run it was well worth it.

• Like 1

On 5/8/2024 at 3:56 AM, HappyExpat57 said:

Those "built into the wall" aircon systems are deal breakers for me. I'll no longer rent a place that uses them.

Total pain to repair,clean,etc.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 5/8/2024 at 3:04 AM, shdmn said:

Are you sure nobody is stealing electricity from you?  Sounds like it happens a lot in Thailand.

The thing about the fans always running sounds like you are talking about inverter aircons, which are considered more efficient.

It's like someone's stealing my electricity. Only the refrigerator and the air conditioner are running all the time. I used to pay around 3000 baths. For the last 3 months I have been paying almost 7000 baths! The landlord says it's because of the hot weather.  How can I recognise if someone is stealing electricity from me?

3 hours ago, CashMoon said:

It's like someone's stealing my electricity. Only the refrigerator and the air conditioner are running all the time. I used to pay around 3000 baths. For the last 3 months I have been paying almost 7000 baths! The landlord says it's because of the hot weather.  How can I recognise if someone is stealing electricity from me?

baht

• Love It 1

On 5/8/2024 at 11:32 AM, DonniePeverley said:

We've had it cleaned twice in 6 months ! It's a new condo too. 

I've lived in the same rented home in Thailand ever since I moved here many year ago...

Originally, it came with a large and very old floor standing air con in the main kitchen-living room area that literally gulped electric, and didn't do a great job of keeping the living area very cool.

Eventually, after many years, persuaded my landlord to go half-half with us on a large new inverter aircon that does a much better job of cooling.

And, with the change, it's probably shaving a couple thousand baht off our electrical bill most months. Ends up paying for itself in about one year's time.

• Like 1