How to find a short term rental?

My wife wants to rent a place in Thailand for 1-2 months.  Some place outside of Bangkok.  Maybe Chanthaburi?  Ko Chang?  Do they use facebook groups, agents, or ?? in Thailand?  Thanks for your help in advance.

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Asks the girls of the night. They know all those short-time places. 😉 

can never go back to their place cos their " brother" lives there too... 🙂

certainly would not want to sleep in one of those ST beds either....crunchy sheets and towels

• Haha 1

They're easy to find but you have to speak Thai.  I would recommend getting a Thai girl to help you.  Searching in English won't bring up results.  The ads are in Thai.

7 hours ago, Sticky Rice Balls said:

do I have to say it???? Airbnb.

Yes, we've tried that in other places.  Mixed results- generally overpriced.  But definitely an option if other things don't work out.

7 hours ago, Ralf001 said:

plenty of short term rentals available.

let you wallet do the talking.

OK, cool, I'm glad to hear that there are plenty of places.  So how do you find them?  A specific website? Facebook? asking around?

5 hours ago, Chris Daley said:

They're easy to find but you have to speak Thai.  I would recommend getting a Thai girl to help you.  Searching in English won't bring up results.  The ads are in Thai.

OK, thanks for that advice. Would it help if I did an auto-translate and searched in Thai?  I've done that before for electronics.

6 hours ago, Chris Daley said:

Why is the gender important ?

Why does it have to be a female ?

• Haha 1

Go to agoda or booking. Com. This has the advantage of photos and reasonable descriptions of the place. 

There are hundreds of places for b500 per night. 

You can call the resorts or hotels direct and negotiate a deal. 

Certainly easier if some Thai person  can help you. 

You mention the wife wanting - she going alone? 

29 minutes ago, ChrisKC said:

Go to agoda or booking. Com. This has the advantage of photos and reasonable descriptions of the place. 

There are hundreds of places for b500 per night. 

You can call the resorts or hotels direct and negotiate a deal. 

Certainly easier if some Thai person  can help you. 

You mention the wife wanting - she going alone? 

Hi Chris KC, she's going with our two children and a nanny.  So two adults and two small children.

6 minutes ago, daeumtnaot said:

Hi Chris KC, she's going with our two children and a nanny.  So two adults and two small children.

That makes a big difference. 

It seems that you would need a whole house with minimum 2 bedrooms and at least some kitchen area and some space around for the children. 

Some resorts have such places so still suggest you look around in Agoda and state your requirements. Many resorts have English speaking staff. But it won't be from a baseline of B500 per night. 

I have learned through personal experience that the rate per night can be negotiated down drastically when needing a month or two, especially if we are talking the low season. Do some research online before going to Agents. 

Many of the bigger cities and islands have rental Facebook groups for rentals... Take a look at the offerings and then email the poster who most likely is an agent... They may not rent you that unit short term but you can build a relationship with the agent and give her your specifications and she will most likely be able to find a place... Be careful not to transfer a huge amout of cash initially... Pay a reasonable deposit and say you will pay balance in cash once you at property 

You can always ask for a discounted rate of an Airbnb, especially if you book for several weeks. My wife had a family stay at her Airbnb townhouse for 21 days. They asked for a discounted rate which my wife accepted.