Opinion: Russia's Potential For Defeat in War With Ukraine

19 hours ago, Gweiloman said:

Just ask the folks here on AN. How many would like to return to their home countries?

I agree. I never wanted to leave Thailand and had I been able to get my pension there would still be living in LOS and a lot happier.

• Agree 1

13 hours ago, jas007 said:

The original story is pure BS. Fake News. Then again, I suppose some delusional people might actually believe it.  

Ukraine is out of men. Most have already been killed. A victory for Ukraine is no longer possible. They’ll be lucky to achieve anything but an unconditional surrender.  As for Russia, they’re taking their time. A war of attrition, as they say. They’re now in war mode and have an Army of almost a million men.  Neither Ukraine nor NATO could succeed in a ground war. The US certainly doesn’t have that type of military at this point, and NATO members could field only a small number of troops. And you don’t do that overnight.

I disagree only that "most have already been killed". Plenty that ran away to other countries than stay and die in Zelensky's war.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 1

9 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I disagree only that "most have already been killed". Plenty that ran away to other countries than stay and die in Zelensky's war.

Let’s say that most of the available men have already been eliminated.  Apparently, Ukraine would like to get their hands on those that aren’t in the country any more, but  how that’s going, I’m not sure. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

5 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Ukraine is Europe.

If Ukraine is Europe then Shirley Russia is too ?

and both soon will be welcomed with open arms into the

European Union and NATO  😋

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, johng said:

Yes please do look at the map

https://geology.com/world/europe-satellite-image.shtml

image.png.6270ed484e7e6ef33af276e454300f6f.png

The Largest Country: Russia

Russia is the largest and most populous country in the continent, covering 39% of the land area in the Europe continent. Russia is also the largest country in the world.

Next .....

Sleazy of you to not show the full map of Russia.

Anyway there is more to this than geography.

Japan is a western country.

Russia definitely isn't.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Confused 2
  • Agree 1

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Outline_of_Russia

The Russian Federation, commonly known as Russia, is the most extensive country in the world, covering 17,075,400 square kilometres (6,592,800 sq mi), more than an eighth of the Earth's land area.[1] Russia is a transcontinental country extending across the whole of northern Asia and 40% of Europe; it spans 11 time zones and incorporates a great range of environments and landforms. With 143 million people, Russia is the ninth most populated country. Russia has the world's largest mineral and energy resources, has the world's largest forest reserves, and its lakes contain approximately one-quarter of the Earth's fresh liquid water.

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Sleazy of you to not show the full map of Russia.

Anyway there is more to this than geography.

Japan is a western country.

Russia definitely isn't.

Desperation is not a pretty sight. Ask any Japanese (and I know lots, having worked for the largest Japanese firm in its industry) if they consider themselves western and they will look at you as if you have lost your marbles, which in this case, is most probably true. Know the meaning of gaijin?

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Jingthing said:

That's what Kremlin propaganda repeaters do.

Let’s listen to what a former US Ambassador to the Soviet Union, Jack Matlock Jr. has to say about the reasons and consequences of the current conflict.

https://youtu.be/moEDnjH0sWU?si=tUoUz7zyFMchGjxm

Very informative, unless he is branded a Russian apologist by the usual suspects. Otherwise, they might learn something truthful for a change.

• Sad 1
  • Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...

Wars can be won and lost in a heart beat by some chance happening, so while everything looks great for Russia (and I certainly hope they win), some chance happening like Putin getting assassinated, or removed from office by all those anxious Russians who hate him (but incomprehensibly keep voting for him), or more likely, by some sort of weather-related incident that floods Russia and causes it to sink. 

Just remember in the war between Syracuse (the one in Sicily, not in upstate NY) and Athens....the Athenians were on the brink of defeat when at the last gasp, they managed to bribe a Syracusean porter to open the back gate to the castle, thereby letting the Athenians rush in and win. 

• Confused 2

On 5/9/2024 at 8:42 AM, Gweiloman said:

A very good example is how Hungary and Serbia welcomed the Chinese president with open arms as China is all about common prosperity and win-win for all, not the zero sum game that some western countries espouse.

Wow.... clueless.....completely clueless....

As a Serb with plenty of friends back in Belgrade we absolutely and definitely do not fancy Chinese....Russians even less so.

Every single one of my friends is either in USA (even after NATO bombed us), UK, Australia, Canada (like myself) even Japan and Dubai. Russians, Chinese, Serbs don't get along at all, never did, never will.

Russian draft dodgers in Serbia are not welcome at all.

Edited by Celsius
  • Like 2
  • Confused 2

On 5/10/2024 at 8:34 AM, johng said:

If Ukraine is Europe then Shirley Russia is too ?

and both soon will be welcomed with open arms into the

European Union and NATO  😋

My favourite contradiction of this war and there are many is - "Ukraine needs to join NATO so that article 5 applies and Russia will not dare attack it then ... but if Russia wins in Ukraine they won't stop and will attack NATO next".

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1