Thai U-Turn on Cannabis: Protests and Lawsuits Loom

webfact

On 5/11/2024 at 1:51 PM, PETERTHEEATER said:

I didn't realise this had been voted in to law. Must have missed that report in the media.😋

You can easily be forgiven for not knowing what is going on..... lot of it about!

14 hours ago, dinsdale said:

Dope, yaba, alcohol and cigs are all drugs. No apples and pears as you say. All drugs and all available. Now list them most harmful to least harmful. Now think about why is dope going to be reclassified as a narcotic. Now think about the article and should dope be recriminalised. It's called critical thinking. Not everyone is good at this. 

Obviously they dont GAF about the people and how safe  a drug is otherwise alcohol would have been banned a  long time ago and weed would be legal everywhere. Its all about money, politics and power. So just save your breath and your health .

• Agree 2

4 hours ago, jacko45k said:

You can easily be forgiven for not knowing what is going on..... lot of it about!

Exactly. Who need to be checking the internet every 5 minutes !

On 5/12/2024 at 8:18 AM, Yagoda said:

Dude, and anyone else. Lets start with this premise. Absent you being raised Thai and Buddhist you know NOTHING about Thai society, or Thai social/political relationships. You can make all the assumptions and value judgments you want but you know nothing. NOTHING. As do I. And what may be obvious is unknowable for Westerners and unspeakable here.

Aren't we lucky that we have you that knows everything to set Us westerners Straight .

• Haha 2

On 5/11/2024 at 10:36 PM, oslooskar said:

Do you think the USA isn't corrupt? The U.S. government is at war with the Mexican drug cartels, yet it is heavily involved with the tobacco industry, which kills more than 400,000 Americans a year. Now, that's real corruption!

For sure the US is corrupt ,most countries are in some ways corrupt.

15 minutes ago, digger70 said:

Aren't we lucky that we have you that knows everything to set Us westerners Straight .

Thanks bro. Its good to see that you are one of the folks not proud of your lack of knowledge, which you then show to the entire world;  but rather humbled and motivated by it.

• Sad 1

On 5/11/2024 at 1:18 PM, Dioj said:

A flip flop of the highest order. The likes of which the world has never seen before. In fact, I don't even know this flip flop very well. It might be a terrific flip flop for all I know. But many people have said to me that it is a very bad flip flop. The best people say that. Most people didn't even know these things. And I have the absolute right to say this. Let's make flip flops great again!

Let us not forget that Thailand has a long history of flip-flops.

1782 to 1939 Siam.

1939 to 1945 Thailand

1945 to 1949 Siam

1949 to today Thailand.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Angus55 said:

Obviously they dont GAF about the people and how safe  a drug is otherwise alcohol would have been banned a  long time ago and weed would be legal everywhere. Its all about money, politics and power. So just save your breath and your health .

I want to drink alcohol, I want to smoke cigs and I want to 'legally' smoke dope. The 1st two I can do and cause more harm to my body than the 3rd. The 1st two are legal and the 3rd is about to be reclassified as a class 5 narcotic the same as meth and heroin. Simply insane.

• Thumbs Up 2

1 minute ago, dinsdale said:

I want to drink alcohol, I want to smoke cigs and I want to 'legally' smoke dope. The 1st two I can do and cause more harm to my body than the 3rd. The 1st two are legal and the 3rd is about to be reclassified as a class 5 narcotic the same as meth and heroin. Simply insane.

Simply insane ? Sure is buddy. I feel for you. Must be a hard life.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2

It seems you have missed my point completely.

Your upset because you cant smoke weed legally anymore while you still can do other more harmful drugs legally. right?

I know . It sucks man .

• Sad 1

Incredulous is more like it. What has become a burgeoning private sector enterprise will now go back to into the hands of organised crime. Money for the cartels, generals and the BIB. If you think this is a positive move then that's your opinion which you are entitled to.

Having spent over 30 years in Thailand and SE Asia I am not too surprised at anything...let alone incredulous. It seems the weed investors knew at the start that it was all a bit of a gamble and were prepared to take that risk. As i personally dont smoke any more Im not bothered either way though it may be better if less ahole weed tourists come.

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1

On 5/12/2024 at 7:53 AM, GRIMMY said:

The decriminalizing of cannabis was a last resort tactic by the previous dictatorship led by Prayut Can-o_cha to gain votes. If you didn’t realise that and decided to open a cannabis shop thinking everything would be okay with a new government, then you were gravely mistaken.

I doubt Prayut or Pravit are dope smokers and both were probably not in favour of the decriminalization.  It was a policy of Anutin's BJP which Prayut and Pravit tolerated.  Neither ever said anything in favour or against to my knowledge.