Bad areas in BKK

georgegeorgia

1 hour ago, kevozman1 said:

You have no idea my guy. You're naive and wet behind the ears.

Omg, you are one of them. 

Your hostile, antagonizing comment shows me that you are one of the nasty, horrible foreigners that live here. 

4 hours ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

Any areas with foreigners. 

You are safe amongst the Thai's, peaceful, friendly people. 

Sure you get the occasional bad Thai but from my experience, many years of living here in Thailand, it's the foreigners you got to avoid. 

I wouldn't say there are NO unsafe areas 

I have emailed the hotel clerk to find out exactly which area he lives in which has his so called '"bandits" demanding cash in his slum area at night that he can't go out after 9pm his words 

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, georgegeorgia said:

I wouldn't say there are NO unsafe areas 

I have emailed the hotel clerk to find out exactly which area he lives in which has his so called '"bandits" demanding cash in his slum area at night that he can't go out after 9pm his words 

Would think every metro area at least, has bad areas, worldwide.   Though most tourist or expats won't venture into them, unless taking a very wrong turn, and not exiting as soon as they get that bad feeling.

I've walked around lots of areas (hindsight, not best idea) and luckily no issues.  Usually a few beers too many already, and then found myself sitting with locals I met along the way, for a chit chat sometimes into the wee hours of the evening.  Not recommended of course.

Not in Krung Thep though.  Remember one on outskirts of downtown Chumphon, when the next morning thought to myself ...  'what were you thinking ... idiot'   Before GPS and I actually got lost.

In 2013, the Thai police listed the top 10 crime hotspots. It created quite a buzz:

1. Soi Lat Phrao 101

2. Soi Lat Phrao 107

3. Soi Sukhumvit 105

4. Soi Phaholyothin 52

5. Soi Suphaphong

6. Soi On Nut

7. Soi Chalermprakiat 14

8. Victory Monument

9. Sanam Luang

10. Ramintra Market

Many can be explained by being areas of deprivation, others for their exciting nightlife, and others for being deserted at night.

8 hours ago, Gaccha said:

In 2013, the Thai police listed the top 10 crime hotspots. It created quite a buzz:

1. Soi Lat Phrao 101

2. Soi Lat Phrao 107

3. Soi Sukhumvit 105

4. Soi Phaholyothin 52

5. Soi Suphaphong

6. Soi On Nut

7. Soi Chalermprakiat 14

8. Victory Monument

9. Sanam Luang

10. Ramintra Market

Many can be explained by being areas of deprivation, others for their exciting nightlife, and others for being deserted at night.

This is still not very helpful.

Do you know how long Soi Onnut, for example, is?

And it's all in Bangkok proper, whereas the places I really wouldn't want to be alone at 3a.m. are often in "neighboring provinces", e.g. Samut Prakan, deep in the sois off Sukhumvit.

Having said that, I have often been warned by Thai friends that I shouldn't walk around in  quiet sois after 11pm (like KhunLA, I used to be oblivious to the risks @kevozman1 mentions).