How to pay cashless at 7-11?

Posted (edited)
19 hours ago, Sticky Rice Balls said:

im also sure NONE of these apps track your purchases or sell that data to banks and seedy grifters on the dark web....

just like when I would sell tobacco at work and we had to scan your license....your health insurance knows your habit too now

cash is king and leaves no paper trail in this digital age where your info is always for sale...

Ehh, you must be really not knowledgable if it comes to technology, if you think we need cash, to learn more about you. Every time you walk insidea 7/11, in theory, your phone unique ID is already logged, and therefor, known to have been there. All these small data prints can be identified in seconds by systems that run on big data.

Sure in the most simple example I wrote above, they would in theory still not know, what you exactly bought, but the reality for all data prints in total is different. To worry about cash is only if it comes to tax, else it is kind of silly already to use as a argument. Most launderers and criminals even use digital money in 2024 lol.

If you want to live a normal life, there is nowhere to hide. Same to hide from USA, almost any financial transaction passes 7 banks of which 1 will be USA. The only issues governments or insurances have now, is enforcement; limited by employees. Imagine how that changes if laws change to allow AI doing it.

Edited by ChaiyaTH

19 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Truemoneywallet is easy to use, what's difficult for you?

I tried installing TrueMoney Application and registering with my Passport, but they never accepted my passport registration. I couldn't use it. 😕

20 hours ago, Upnotover said:
20 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

TrueMoney app.

Ha.  I've tried numerous times to get that just for the sake of it.  But till now am yet to even receive the promised SMS with their decision.

Ha.  Must be you, then. I've been using my TrueMoney app for many months now and used it again in 7-11 yesterday.   

• Agree 1

Posted (edited)
20 hours ago, RolandRat said:

TrueMoney app is really hard to use. I have not been able to use that at all!

Couldn't be easier to use; tell the cashier that you're using it, click on "Pay" in the app then let the reader on the counter scan your app. Paid.  Must take all of 10 seconds...as long as there's money on the app.

Edited by Liverpool Lou
  • Agree 2

Nothing more fun that standing patiently  in a line at a usa supermarket/store for five minutes and then some gal, sorry but seems to always be a gal, gets to the cashier who scans all her purchases and THEN the gal starts to dig around in her sometimes giant purse to try and find cash or credit/debit card to pay...or better yet wants to write a damn check for a few dollars..they seem to be surprised that they have to pay for the items....why in the world would you not go ahead and find your damn payment while u are standing in line?  Something in the Dna as it always seems to me the guys are standing there wallet in hand ready to pay...it's like the gals don't quite grasp the concept that they have to pay....or maybe they think some guy will insist on paying for their purchases??

• Confused 1

Posted (edited)
20 hours ago, Moonlover said:

Nothing could be easier. Enter you PIN, tap 'pay' and point it at the cashier. What could be easier than that?

Yes, piece of cake, but pointing it at the reader on the counter makes it even easier...the cashier's not connected to the till!

Edited by Liverpool Lou

2 hours ago, Skeptic7 said:

Fair enough...but who's out & about at midnight without at least a few hundred pocket baht

Quite a lot of people nowadays.

ATMs are disappearing, we have none near us, not even at the 7-11 or gas station. We scan for everything everywhere..... except for at the 7. The only place we use cash is the 7. We take out 900thb whenever near a (rare) ATM, but if that's gone and we haven't been then it's a 6km round trip to the ATM. We live around 5km outside of a major city. 

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

This is called progress. Those who use a system called cash that works instantly and which has existed throughout history are called dinosaurs.

How can it be progress if it takes far longer to process? Bring behind a line of phone or card payers always takes longer than cash

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, CecilM said:

Too difficult to set up. I stopped trying and just pay cash at 7/11. Or just go next door to Tops Daily/etc. 

Piece of cake to set up, I stopped trying after the first attempt because it was successful...because I followed the app directions.  I can also pay with cash or go to another shop.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Upnotover said:

Encouraged by your reply I've applied again, I actually did the same as suggested the previous 3 times.  Would be nice even if they reject the application if they could be bothered to send the SMS, perhaps even saying what is wrong.

As many others have registered with no problems, it's sounding more and more likely that the problem is you or your phone, not the app.

Posted (edited)
21 hours ago, proton said:

Not to be encouraged I get enough of idiots looking for the phone, logging in them struggling to pay on their phones in other shops.

And I wonder how many times I've been stood behind customers whilst they fumble around trying to root out small change from their pockets or the bottom of their bag. Or waiting whilst the cashier replenishes their till with small change.

The boot can just as easily be placed on the other foot!

Edited by Moonlover
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, MichaelJackson said:

I tried installing TrueMoney Application and registering with my Passport, but they never accepted my passport registration. I couldn't use it. 😕

Ask a Thai to help you with registration, my gf did that and it went smooth.

Posted (edited)

Amazing - the people who have adopted cashless payments much prefer the convenience and speed - no waiting for change (which always needs to be counted twice), not carrying around annoying coins etc.

The Luddites who say cash is king weirdly always seem to be stuck behind people who don't know how to use their phone properly - how unfortunate they are, I wonder why I never get stuck behind these people?

It reminds me of the EV vs ICEV debate. The people who have moved to EVs absolutely love everything about them and would never go back to an ICEV as they are far superior in many ways. But the ICEV stalwarts who would never try an EV make up many reasons why they are worse - reasons that the EV owners can attest are not issues at all.  Such parallels with the cash vs cashless debate.....

Some people just hate change and for some reason get riled when other people move with the times and prefer the newer technology. If you love cash, use it. Don't make up scenarios about people getting stuck with their phones for "five minutes" in front of you - it's nonsense.

Edited by josephbloggs
  • Thanks 2

Posted (edited)

Installed Google wallet, going to Starbuck's to try it out.

Luddite no more.

P.S. Didn't work.

No one waiting behind me so cashier and I tried to process it several ways.

No joy.

Paid with my card, same card as is on the Google wallet.

Starbuck's is cashless so you would think they would know but it didn't work.

As far as "using my phone properly" I just read the Google instructions on line and followed them but it didn't work.

Edited by cdemundo
Added PS

3 hours ago, MichaelJackson said:

Try harder

• Like 1