US Strategy in the Israel-Hamas Conflict, Eliminate Hamas?

image.png

The United States finds itself in a precarious position, delicately balancing the pursuit of a ceasefire with the overarching goal of neutralizing the threat posed by Hamas. It's a complex web of diplomacy, strategy, and geopolitical intricacies, where each move carries profound implications for the stability of the region.

At the core of the challenge lies the Biden administration's primary objective: securing a lasting cessation of hostilities. After more than seven months of violence, the urgent need to halt the bloodshed and alleviate the suffering of civilians remains paramount. Yet, intertwined with this imperative is the daunting task of dismantling Hamas's capacity to perpetrate further violence.

In the words of White House National Security Council spokesperson John Kirby, "If we can get a ceasefire, we can get something more enduring and then maybe end the conflict." This sentiment underscores the administration's commitment to finding a resolution that goes beyond mere temporary respite. Biden reiterated that with Gaza ceasefire possible 'tomorrow' if Hamas frees hostages

However, achieving such a resolution is no small feat, given the entrenched nature of Hamas within the Gaza Strip. As Kirby acknowledges, "An enduring defeat of Hamas certainly remains the Israeli goal, and we share that goal with it." The challenge, then, lies in reconciling the pursuit of ceasefire with the broader objective of weakening Hamas's influence.

To navigate this intricate terrain, the United States adopts a multifaceted approach. On one hand, diplomatic efforts are focused on brokering a ceasefire agreement that addresses the immediate concerns of both parties. This requires skillful negotiation and a willingness to engage with all stakeholders, including Hamas.

Simultaneously, the US is engaged in long-term strategic planning aimed at bolstering alternative governance structures in Gaza. This involves supporting the Palestinian Authority (PA) in assuming greater responsibility for governance and security within the region.

As one US official explains, "What we are trying to do is advance a vision where Hamas would be marginalized, while Israel would be stronger through improved relations with its Arab neighbors." This vision entails empowering the PA to govern effectively and provide for the needs of the Palestinian population.

However, realizing this vision is fraught with challenges. The PA, already weakened by years of political infighting and allegations of corruption, faces an uphill battle in gaining the trust and confidence of the Palestinian people. Rebuilding the PA's credibility will require concerted efforts and sustained international support.

Moreover, the US strategy faces resistance from various quarters, including Israel and Hamas. While Israel shares the goal of neutralizing Hamas, it remains wary of the PA's capacity to maintain security in Gaza. Meanwhile, Hamas views any attempt to sideline it as a threat to its legitimacy and survival.

Amidst these complexities, the United States must navigate a delicate balance of interests and alliances. It seeks to advance its strategic objectives while maintaining close ties with key regional partners, including Israel and moderate Arab states. This requires deft diplomacy and a nuanced understanding of the region's dynamics.

Furthermore, the US strategy must contend with broader geopolitical considerations, including the role of regional actors such as Iran, Turkey, and Qatar. These actors often seek to exploit the Israel-Hamas conflict to further their own agendas, complicating efforts to achieve lasting peace and stability.

Credit: T.O.S. 2024-05-15

news-logo-btm.jpg

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Social Media said:

However, achieving such a resolution is no small feat, given the entrenched nature of Hamas within the Gaza Strip. As Kirby acknowledges, "An enduring defeat of Hamas certainly remains the Israeli goal, and we share that goal with it." The challenge, then, lies in reconciling the pursuit of ceasefire with the broader objective of weakening Hamas's influence.

Unless Kirby is just saying what he is told to, he is a <deleted> IMO. So long as israel oppresses Palestinians and steals their land the opposition will continue, if not by Hamas, by a more ruthless organisation. Such is human nature.

Had the US forced israel to accept a two state solution before israel stole too much of the West Bank, it would likely never have come to the present fiasco. I put the blame squarely on America for it, as they are the only ones that could force israel to accept the 2 state solution without them losing a major war ( and the present conflict is not a war- a war is between 2 evenly matched combatants, IMO ).

• Love It 1

Posted (edited)

Amidst these complexities, the United States must navigate a delicate balance of interests and alliances. It seeks to advance its strategic objectives while maintaining close ties with key regional partners, including Israel and moderate Arab states. This requires deft diplomacy and a nuanced understanding of the region's dynamics.

This requires deft diplomacy and a nuanced understanding of the region's dynamics.

LOL. IMO America has shown time and time again that it has no clue about Arab "dynamics". Time and time again it has gone in trying to impose something on them, and it has failed every time.

It imposed israel on Palestine in 1948 and what a disaster that has been ever since.

Edited by thaibeachlovers
  • Confused 1
  • Agree 1

Simultaneously, the US is engaged in long-term strategic planning aimed at bolstering alternative governance structures in Gaza. This involves supporting the Palestinian Authority (PA) in assuming greater responsibility for governance and security within the region.

Way to go USA. Give an organisation that is hated and despised by most Palestinians even more power. What a great idea, NOT.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Way to go USA. Give an organisation that is hated and despised by most Palestinians even more power. What a great idea, NOT.

Indeed. 

How about the USA stop interfering. 

Stop all weapons to Israel, and all aid. They're you go Biden, no more dilemmas. 

• Agree 1

Just now, Neeranam said:

Indeed. 

Stop all weapons to Israel, and all aid. They're you go Biden, no more dilemmas. 

Or Hamas could just release the hostages. Done

• Like 1
  • Love It 1

1 hour ago, Skipalongcassidy said:

Joe did this... or more accurately obumer did this as part of his muslim support program... wake up America!!!

The Muslim lobby in the US is slightly outnumbered by the Jewsish one. 

Despite Muslim Americans and Jewish Americans being proportionate in numbers, look at the number of Muslims to Jews in Senate/ Senior government. 

There is one Muslim in Senate. 🤔

1 hour ago, Neeranam said:

The Muslim lobby in the US is slightly outnumbered by the Jewsish one. 

Despite Muslim Americans and Jewish Americans being proportionate in numbers, look at the number of Muslims to Jews in Senate/ Senior government. 

There is one Muslim in Senate. 🤔

But joe's puppet master is the head muslim... who's manifesto included destroying America.

1 hour ago, Skipalongcassidy said:

But joe's puppet master is the head muslim... who's manifesto included destroying America.

Please elaborate, I'm all ears! 

6 hours ago, Bkk Brian said:

Or Hamas could just release the hostages. Done

So, according to you, if Hamas released all the hostages, that would mean that Hamas would be eliminated from Gaza? Is the release of the hostages some kind of panacea? Magic?

5 minutes ago, placeholder said:

So, according to you, if Hamas released all the hostages, that would mean that Hamas would be eliminated from Gaza? Is the release of the hostages some kind of panacea? Magic?

Nah that's you making things up, it was in response to this bizarre post that has no basis in reality

6 hours ago, Neeranam said:

Indeed. 

This is what it means to me:

10 hours ago, Social Media said:

In the words of White House National Security Council spokesperson John Kirby, "If we can get a ceasefire, we can get something more enduring and then maybe end the conflict." This sentiment underscores the administration's commitment to finding a resolution that goes beyond mere temporary respite. Biden reiterated that with Gaza ceasefire possible 'tomorrow' if Hamas frees hostages

19 hours ago, Neeranam said:

Please elaborate, I'm all ears! 

If you really wanted to learn you would find a way... it is not hard in todays world... all you have to do is "google" the subject... ie What Obama and I Learned at Columbia: How to Destroy America From Within | Blaze Media (theblaze.com)  

"I’m about to rip open the true Obama plan to destroy our country. Because I was there when the plan was hatched.

Remember when Geraldo opened Al Capone’s vault live on national TV? Well I’m about to solve the mystery of Obama. I’m about to break "the Obama code." I’m about to tell you everything about the way Obama, and the people around him, really think. I’m about to rip open the true Obama plan to destroy our country. Because I was there when the plan was hatched.

How do I know all this? Because I was Barack Obama’s college classmate at Columbia University, Class of 1983. I was easy to recognize - the lone outspoken conservative in a class of 700 students. I knew I was in trouble when my first political science class at Columbia was "Communism 101" taught by Professor Trotsky in the Fidel Castro Building, at the corner of Marx Blvd. and Lenin Drive.

I’m only half-kidding. My experiences at Columbia were not far off.

Everyone needs to hear my story because what Obama and I learned at Columbia explains EXACTLY what Obama is doing to America today."

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Bkk Brian said:

Nah that's you making things up, it was in response to this bizarre post that has no basis in reality

It may have been unrealistic in that it's extremel unlikely that America would abandon Israel. But your reply relied on magical thinking.

1 minute ago, placeholder said:

It may have been unrealistic in that it's extremel unlikely that America would abandon Israel. But your reply relied on magical thinking.

Magical thinking to a bizarre post does me every time :clap2: