Time to put the sticky rat baits in your rooms. Wet season has started

3 hours ago, cowellandrew said:

I just let my pet snake out for a few days, problem solved, but a few unhappy neighbor's,

The real problems with rats & mice is leptospirosis,

As they move about they urinate,

In say a warehouse or your local mom&pop shop over beer cans, bottles & snacks of rice etc. years ago I was told that is why you got given a straw,

Thailand is ranked as number 7, worst 

With 48.9 cases per million population 

Yes, also known as Weils disease. Had a friend in Brunei in the Eighties died of it, massive liver & kidney failure. Would not wish it on my worst enemy. We think He caught it by wiping the top of a beer can with His hands after carrying contaminated timber. Even now I never drink straight from a can or bottle without first washing the top.

15 hours ago, worgeordie said:

We now have an outside cat , just young ,but she has already caught

a squirrel ,hope she can keep them in check , they are tree rats and

get into the downstairs ceiling every year in rainy season, they make

a lot of noise running about and chew up the LAN wires , 

We too use the sticky traps but put peanuts or chocolate as bait ,

but just hope the cat does its job this year , she can get up on

the first floor roof ,where the gain access.

regards worgeordie 

Agree with having a Cat, might not need to put her in the roof IME the smell of a cat is enough to keep rats and mice at bay. I still get the Tokays running around up there though.

never use those sticky rat traps....cruel as F. Plenty humane traps out there.... Or how about keeping your place clean, rats only come dirty places or get  a pussy. 

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, fredwiggy said:

Rats and mice don't just enter dirty places. If they smell food, in any house, they will try and get in, and the opening only has to be the size of a quarter, so sealing any holes has to be done. Having cats helps of course. Sticky traps are the way to go, although not really humane, but vermin do not belong in a house so that's the only way to go if you have cats, because spring traps might catch them. Poisoning isn't good also, because, as stated, they will die in the walls or attic and smell awful for quite awhile. Poisoning outside doesn't work because it kills domestic animals also. Also,like mentioned, poisoning kills them in the house, where they die and can't always be located, and this attracts other rats. If you catch them, find a local that will take them, as they eat rats here all over.

I dont think locals eat that kind of rat ...do they ?

16 hours ago, worgeordie said:

We now have an outside cat , just young ,but she has already caught

a squirrel ,hope she can keep them in check , they are tree rats and

get into the downstairs ceiling every year in rainy season, they make

a lot of noise running about and chew up the LAN wires , 

We too use the sticky traps but put peanuts or chocolate as bait ,

but just hope the cat does its job this year , she can get up on

the first floor roof ,where the gain access.

regards worgeordie 

If you have rats you dont have snake, yes?

We get quite a lot of snakes and rats when the fields at the back are ploughed up. We have dogs, 6 of various sizes. All seem to hate rats and snakes. They tear the rats and snakes apart.

We used to leave the dogs' bowls out inside the house, but the rats came in to steal the food if the dogs were alert enough. Obviously we don't do this any more. 

11 hours ago, bradiston said:

I had a major problem in the loft with some critters or other. Never found out what they were, but they made a lot of noise. A friend gave me a can of Chinese spray. I'm not kidding! The rats disappeared after one spray. It's available very cheaply on Lazada, about 16 THB a can. I recommend.

19860-19006ce2ba3020192eedf2c4fcbe7faf.jpg

I checked the Chinese words on Google Translate, says something about Zyklon B... (sorry, joke in bad taste)

On 5/17/2024 at 6:49 AM, fredwiggy said:

Rats and mice don't just enter dirty places. If they smell food, in any house, they will try and get in, and the opening only has to be the size of a quarter, so sealing any holes has to be done. Having cats helps of course. Sticky traps are the way to go, although not really humane, but vermin do not belong in a house so that's the only way to go if you have cats, because spring traps might catch them. Poisoning isn't good also, because, as stated, they will die in the walls or attic and smell awful for quite awhile. Poisoning outside doesn't work because it kills domestic animals also. Also,like mentioned, poisoning kills them in the house, where they die and can't always be located, and this attracts other rats. If you catch them, find a local that will take them, as they eat rats here all over.

Farm rats only unless desperate