Royal Thai Air Force Pilot Dodges Festival Rocket in Close Call

webfact

The same story by Thaipbs site, seems to imply that this was maybe a commercial flight.

“The news team checked further from Flight Radar24 and found that the flight route from Ubon Ratchathani to Bangkok After the plane takes off, it will pass Mueang Ubon Ratchathani District. Before crossing the Chi River and entering Kanthararom District, Sisaket Province, which although it was a short period of less than 5 minutes, was a period when the aircraft was not at a high altitude, approximately 5,000 - 10,000 feet or 3 kilometers above the ground. About 10 kilometers from normal flight altitude”

https://www.thaipbs.or.th/news/content/340076

My translation of the pilots post.

IMG_2805.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

11 minutes ago, JCCR6 said:

If a cardboard or wooden home made rocket takes out your military aircraft there are maybe bigger things you need to worry about. 

It was a commercial aircraft....

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

35 minutes ago, newbee2022 said:

Limit the size of the rockets and by this the reachable hight to fly. Or stop it in the end.

Be prepared to see next some drones around the airports too. Take precautions beforehand any desaster.

How long did Thailand TRY to prevent farmers from burning old crop in their fields? 🤔 

I was living in Mukdahan. 

It's a competition about flight time and hight. 

Can you stop that? 🤔 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

53 minutes ago, JCCR6 said:

If a cardboard or wooden home made rocket takes out your military aircraft there are maybe bigger things you need to worry about. 

It can because the aircraft is flying at 200 to300 Knots and an impact with even a soft object at the speed could be catastrophic.  Also, the object could get ingested into the engine and we know what happens if a jet engine eats something like geese back in 2009(Miracle on the Hudson which made Captain Sullenberger famous). 

• Agree 1

19 minutes ago, khunpin said:

How long did Thailand TRY to prevent farmers from burning old crop in their fields? 🤔 

Can you stop that? 🤔 

As I said before - a TFR solves all of this.

• Confused 1

30 minutes ago, khunpin said:

Can you stop that? 🤔 

Well, they could if they want

From my mountain viewing point I once estimated that the homemade Bhun Fie rockets being launched from the plains below were reaching 15,000 ft. The winning rocket took 5 minutes to fall back.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

Posted (edited)

This was not a military flight, the picture was taken from a commercial flight,Thai Vietjet Air TVJ221/VZ221, on the 16 May.The aircraft was an Airbus A321, which was late leaving the departure gate by 5 minutes, and for some reason the aircraft was held on taxi for 30 minutes before taking off.

The rocket was reported about 200m from the aircraft at 6000 - 8000 feet.

https://www.flightaware.com/live/flight/TVJ221/history/20240516/0550Z/VTUU/VTBS

The military aircraft was the flight taking off after this aircraft, 3-5 minutes, an ATR aircraft with the call sign Cowboy04. Only the Royal Thai Air Force fly the ATR and those aircraft have a maximum capacity of 70 passengers.

Edited by Georgealbert

4 hours ago, Georgealbert said:

The same story by Thaipbs site, seems to imply that this was maybe a commercial flight

Ok, if it's only a commercial flights...then it's not so important and dangerous 🙏

5 minutes ago, newbee2022 said:

Ok, if it's only a commercial flights...then it's not so important and dangerous 🙏

No just that the initial report is not correct, and this was a far more serious incident, as the aircraft involved, as I post above, was an Airbus A321.

1 minute ago, Georgealbert said:

No just that the initial report is not correct, and this was a far more serious incident, as the aircraft involved, as I post above, was an Airbus A321.

You're right 👏

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, digbeth said:

it's not cardboard and bamboo, but pvc plumbing pipes full of black powder, unburnt portion is literally pipe bomb

NOTAM (notice to airmen) advisory are given in case of official events that managed to inform the relevant authorities but do all temple/local amphur run fair knows to do this? no

but the dates, times and places are all posted on social media, local and national newspapers, TV stations and radio. They are about the same times and days every year. Is it too much to assume that the government authorities can read and understand and post NOTAMs of their own, stating that is this area, on these days and times there will be a rocket festival, so stay at least 10 km away from there?

• Confused 1
  • Agree 1