Beloved Brit found dead in Thailand hotel room

20 minutes ago, scottiejohn said:

Who decides who should donate whatever sum to a charity?

I am  against Go Fund Me in principal and I will never donate to it but I also believe that it is up to each individual who, what and how, if any, they choose to donate any of their money to!

I don’t decide either, I express my opinion. That’s what Thai Visa forum is for. You don’t need to like it. What other people do is up to them. 

The problem I have with GFM is that it is a platform that can be used for grift and fraud … with no due diligence undertaken by the platform to confirm that any claims made are genuine, and no attempt to find out if the proceeds are applied for the stated purpose. Anyone can claim poverty, no proof required. I would only donate to people I knew and whose circumstances I could verify. And I would do it directly, not on a platform that retains a fee. What you do is up to you.

38 minutes ago, Ricksta1985 said:

Yes, I know Mr 0, and I chose to express my opinion of your opinion and point out some facts.

You seem to be failing to understand the concept of the platform. Just because the cause does not identify with what you deem a worthy fundraiser, it does not mean it is not suitable, just your opinion and a dumb was is all 🙂 

I’m not alone in my opinion. No due diligence or audit of how funds are applied. I don’t doubt some genuine people get funding, but don’t ask us to believe that plenty of the unworthy and out and out grifters don’t benefit also … but please continue to gaslight us all that this fundraiser is worthy. 

Are you involved in this fundraiser? That might explain your objection to my first post, that got a very popular response. 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Ricksta1985 said:

2 hours ago,  cdemundo said:

Okay. Well....thanks for your analysis I guess and bringing absolutley nothing to the conversation in your well thought out post! Enjoy the ladyboys, chump.

This would of course be a devastating rejoinder .... except I didn't post that.,

I don't know how you cut and pasted that together but it isn't my post.

Easy to check by looking at my posts on my account page, (I guess you didn't know about that when you faked this post, or what ever you did).

That post is nowhere to be found.

I don't know if you are a fraud or just very incompetent.

Edited by cdemundo
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, Sheryl said:

There are many reasons why a family might opt to send the body home:

- emotional

• completely unexpected death in a comparatively young person, people wish to see him one more time, and that might include older relatives not fit to travel to Thailand, or such a large umber of people that no cheaper for them to fly to Thailand than to bring the body back.
  • need for closure: need to feel know the actual cause of death in as much detail/certainty as possible. Believe me, what one gets from an autopsy in Thailand does not do that (or much of anything else).  I have reviewed several "autopsy" reports of foreigners who died in Thailand, they are in no way of international standard and do not really give any insight into cause of death.

- religious beliefs/customs

-legal/financial: may need a UK coroner report to claim insurance etc. I doubt one could get a UK coroner verdict based on a Thai death certificate or "autopsy" report. At best it would be left as an "open verdict" and cause of death unknown. This can be a real problem if, for example, there was life insurance.

I had not realised that autopsies here were that poor but I guess I should have known. I suppose it's not important now to ask why there is no insurance that includes the repatriation of a cadaver.  

On 5/17/2024 at 4:19 PM, connda said:

I have no problem with GFM repatriations, but in this case the guy is dead.  Fly out to Thailand, have him cremated, and and spread the ashes in a river or sea.
10K quid to repatriate a corpse.  I'd give that GFM a pass as it's not a matter of life or death as "death" has already won.  There are inexpensive ways to handle this.

That's what I thought, but Sheryl pointed out the family will want closure on WHY he died - and there might be an insurance aspect, and Thai autopsies are very poor. He should have had insurance.

• Agree 1

On 5/17/2024 at 12:44 PM, KhunLA said:

Hard working but no health insurance or enough to repatriate. Go Fund Me :cheesy:

TBH, I never had, but would never have  needed.

Don't waste the money, BBQ and leave in Thailand.

I agree with u..i never ever travel without travelincurance.Cost me 200 pound a year.Its nothing compared to what i had to pay without insurance.GFM is abused is my opinion.Shame to the tourists who travel without insurance.

• Agree 2

On 5/17/2024 at 8:43 AM, steven100 said:

why wouldn't they mention where he passed away or what the cause may have been ?      

Not intrerested, they only want the "gofundme" money.

• Agree 1

On 5/17/2024 at 8:24 AM, snoop1130 said:

They have launched a fundraising appeal to raise £10,000 (approximately 460,000 baht), with over £2,000 already contributed.

So he didn't have a travel insurance?

• Agree 1

On 5/23/2024 at 1:00 PM, AlexRich said:

I’m not alone in my opinion. No due diligence or audit of how funds are applied. I don’t doubt some genuine people get funding, but don’t ask us to believe that plenty of the unworthy and out and out grifters don’t benefit also … but please continue to gaslight us all that this fundraiser is worthy. 

Are you involved in this fundraiser? That might explain your objection to my first post, that got a very popular response. 

I'm sure there are people who take advantage of these types of platforms, I personally, don't think this is 1 of those occasions. And, no. I have no affiliation with it whatsoever.