Beloved Brit found dead in Thailand hotel room

Posted (edited)
On 5/18/2024 at 9:47 AM, AlexRich said:

My opinion is my opinion, what you think is up to you ... but my experience of these forums is that those quick to abuse the intelligence of others are usually wanting in that department themselves ... and you are a classic example. 

My comment still stands, the fact that you assume to know what his family's circumstances are, is an unfounded opinion. And, shows your lack of intelligence!

Edited by Ricksta1985

On 5/18/2024 at 6:32 PM, richard_smith237 said:

Where did you get that 'age' generalisation thing from ???

Isn't cremation a cultural thing ?...   in the UK most of everyone I know in the UK who has passed, Grandparents, friends parents etc we're cremated...   

...  80% of funerals in the UK are cremations.

It is budget friendly.  Personally never understood funerals.   Last thing I would want is a bunch of people around me, trying to console me if wife or kid died.   Leave me alone, as got enough to deal with.

And what a waste of money.

Mother passed, and cremated, no wake, no funeral ... for what ?   She was dying of cancer for months, and anyone wanting to say good bye, express thoughts or love had that opportunity.  Friend of mine asked 'no wake/funeral'?  Why ?  Any A-hole who didn't come while she was alive, doesn't deserve to attend a party after she's gone.

ON TOPIC ... (as always) ... any one or family member that can afford an international holiday, can afford to pay for their own repatriation.  47 yrs old, should have assets to sell if can afford a holiday.  Got life insurance, borrow the money against that.  Certainly don't need a GFM to scrape together money for that, if so beloved.

• Agree 1

On 5/17/2024 at 8:33 PM, Chivas said:

Yep and I get repeatedly disbelieved at 64 that I have never taken one in my life simply because Percy still works normally when the need arises lol

your turns coming.55

On 5/18/2024 at 10:18 AM, Jimjim1 said:

WHY should the British tax payer be expected to front up for people who persistently travel without the necessary insurance to cover any and all situations that may affect them ?

it is not rocket science to adopt a responsible attitude to any possible future developments, I fail to understand how people can pay out large amounts of money for flight tickets, bar girls, and even a beer yet will not pay a couple of hundred pounds or whatever currency you use to get an insurance policy that will remove the strain on themselves and their loved ones when something goes wrong.

Gofundme is not from the British tax payer you absolute numbnut. 

• Haha 1

On 5/18/2024 at 9:47 AM, killala said:

Have to agree that this GFM is not appropriate here. Sorry for the deceased family but if the fella could afford numerous hols to Thailand then surely he would have some assets in Wales like a property etc which the family could borrow against in order to get his body home? 

Another one who likes to make assumptions. 

Fundraising on GoFundMe is easy, powerful, and trusted.With no fee to start, GoFundMe is the world's leading crowdfunding platform—from memorial tributes and funerals to medical emergencies and nonprofits. Whenever you need help, you can ask here.

Yes, why use it for what it is designed for. Another 0 IQ. Well done

On 5/18/2024 at 3:16 PM, rtco said:

Stupid remark. People want to be close to their loved ones not 7,000 mile away

The only stupidity is not understanding that he can have no feelings or know what's happening. He's DEAD! DOH!

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Ricksta1985 said:

lol he's not saying that,  he was replying to someone who said the Givernment should fund the repatriation efforts

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, Ricksta1985 said:

Hey! look at this low IQ posters! It is crazy isn't it? People using the platform for for its intended purpose. The cheek of them!

Fundraising on GoFundMe is easy, powerful, and trusted. With no fee to start, GoFundMe is the world's leading crowdfunding platform—from memorial tributes and funerals to medical emergencies and nonprofits. Whenever you need help, you can ask here.

Let’s check this dunderheads claims with reality?

Firstly, Go Fund me do not undergo due diligence on any fundraising campaign. So you don’t know whether the claims made are in fact genuine or not?

Secondly, Go Fund me cannot guarantee that the funds will be used for the stated purpose?

Yet, according to this moron, anyone who objects to this fundraiser has a low IQ? Quite the opposite, we’re just not easily taken in by claims on trust.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Ricksta1985 said:

My comment still stands, the fact that you assume to know what his family's circumstances are, is an unfounded opinion. And, shows your lack of intelligence!

He’s a regular visitor you muppet, not a vagrant living on the streets. That involves the use of significant resources. He’s not unemployed, he is in full time work. Not appropriate for Go Fund Me. If you travel to Thailand and have no money behind you then an informal cremation in Thailand is the best you can expect. 

• Agree 2

Posted (edited)
On 5/18/2024 at 12:32 PM, richard_smith237 said:

Where did you get that 'age' generalisation thing from ???

Isn't cremation a cultural thing ?...   in the UK most of everyone I know in the UK who has passed, Grandparents, friends parents etc we're cremated...   

...  80% of funerals in the UK are cremations.

I’m talking about Ireland regarding this  , 90 % of funerals here are burials ,it’s only in the last few years that some  choose  cremation 

Edited by barrybike

35 minutes ago, AlexRich said:

You seem very desperate to promote Go Fund me as a wonderful platform where people raise money for legitimate and genuine purposes? Are you a friend or family of the deceased?

The problem is that the majority on here recognise it for what it could be used as - a vehicle for grifters and fraudsters. Go Fund me don’t do any due diligence on people who use it, so everything is on “trust”. And we all know how that ends.

The deceased was in full time employment and a regular visitor to Thailand? We can say for sure he wasn’t down and out and had access to significant resources, because regular visits to Thailand are not cheap. 

You might accuse the majority on here of being cynical, but only an idiot like yourself would question our intelligence. The problem with idiots (like you) is you don’t know you are one. 

Actually what you are doing is indirectly questioning the intelligence of people that donate on GFM. It's there for a reason. Helping out others in their time of need is one of them. Nobody is expecting you to donate and, conversely, you don't show much class by slagging off those that do, or those that use it as a platform.

Perhaps those that donate knew him, know somebody that knew him, or are just decent people willing to spend a few quid to help out others. Maybe they already did their due diligence and know that its not a scam. Maybe they didn't. So what?

1 hour ago, AlexRich said:

He’s a regular visitor you muppet, not a vagrant living on the streets. That involves the use of significant resources. He’s not unemployed, he is in full time work. Not appropriate for Go Fund Me. If you travel to Thailand and have no money behind you then an informal cremation in Thailand is the best you can expect. 

When somebody dies you can't immediately access their funds and/or assets. It can take months or years for all the probate stuff to be sorted out. 

GFM is a perfectly sensible way to raise funds from those who want to donate, rather than cause added stress to his closest friends and family who may be stretched for money. 

5 minutes ago, CG1 Blue said:

When somebody dies you can't immediately access their funds and/or assets. It can take months or years for all the probate stuff to be sorted out. 

GFM is a perfectly sensible way to raise funds from those who want to donate, rather than cause added stress to his closest friends and family who may be stretched for money. 

Or may simply want a hassle-free way to donate.

I would add that, not only does it take considerable time to access a deceased person's assets, but in the case of repatriating a body, time is of the essence. Especially if it is desired to have an autopsy done in the home country, as is often the reason fir such repatriation.

• Agree 2

3 hours ago, Woof999 said:

Actually what you are doing is indirectly questioning the intelligence of people that donate on GFM. It's there for a reason. Helping out others in their time of need is one of them. Nobody is expecting you to donate and, conversely, you don't show much class by slagging off those that do, or those that use it as a platform.

Perhaps those that donate knew him, know somebody that knew him, or are just decent people willing to spend a few quid to help out others. Maybe they already did their due diligence and know that its not a scam. Maybe they didn't. So what?

No, I am not doing that. What I am doing is responding to a cretin who insults people in his posts because he doesn’t agree with their opinion. He’s getting back what he dishes out! 

If you or anyone else knows this guy and wants to contribute, fill your boots up. I couldn’t care less what you do. 

2 hours ago, CG1 Blue said:

That’s what insurance is for. And if you didn’t take insurance out and your family is under resourced, that is not the world’s problem. 

My guess is that the deceased has sufficient assets to cover these costs, and if access is a problem his beneficiaries can get a short term loan to cover the costs until such assets are released. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

On 5/21/2024 at 3:06 AM, Ricksta1985 said:

At what point did I say that GoFundme had ANYTHING to do with the British tax payer other than asking WHY some should think the taxpayer should pay for repatriation?

If you had learned to read properly and indeed understand what you are reading before making your ignorant and insulting remark you would have known this.

Sadly the intelligence of some such as you is so low that you really should take up full time residence in a dumpster along with the rest of the rubbish of society. 

• Agree 1

On 5/18/2024 at 6:08 PM, soi3eddie said:

Everyone is different and many react upon what they have experienced or consider normal, or not normal. I do agree that a funeral/cremation in Thailand is the best option but it is up to the family. As for throwing ashes in the "Pattaya Bay Sinkhole" then you may wish to reflect and consider the wishes of the deceased who had great times and memories of Pattaya. And their remaining family. Please watch...

In fairness that was nice....but I have seen other "efforts" and for sure MOST deceased have no wishes documented anyhow.  Pattaya bay  for sure a sinkhole for BKK--that we can personally gurantee anybody-Im sure you agree on that !!!!

On 5/22/2024 at 8:06 AM, Jimjim1 said:

At what point did I say that GoFundme had ANYTHING to do with the British tax payer other than asking WHY some should think the taxpayer should pay for repatriation?

If you had learned to read properly and indeed understand what you are reading before making your ignorant and insulting remark you would have known this.

Sadly the intelligence of some such as you is so low that you really should take up full time residence in a dumpster along with the rest of the rubbish of society. 

My bad old timer, I see your comment about you being 77 and thought this guy must be senile, but, it seems by some fluke of nature you are still partially functioning, so fair play to you!

On 5/21/2024 at 9:16 AM, AlexRich said:

Luckily, that is not for you to decide what is and what isn't appropriate. Someone can travel to Thailand for 2 weeks for £1500 - £2000, which can be paid for over the course of 6 or 7 months. No, he is not in full-time work - He was..... It has become clear you make only assumptions, assertions, and ''guesses''. You seem desperate to justify your original retarded comment by now blabbering on about a load of other nonsense that is completely irrelevant.  My point remains, things like this are what the platform is for, and that will not change if you like it or not. Whether his family had an alternative or not, you have zero clue about, only your guesses. You little man are the epitome of an imbecile, and, this comment above proves it Mr 0. 

On 5/21/2024 at 4:33 PM, Sheryl said:

Or may simply want a hassle-free way to donate.

I would add that, not only does it take considerable time to access a deceased person's assets, but in the case of repatriating a body, time is of the essence. Especially if it is desired to have an autopsy done in the home country, as is often the reason fir such repatriation.

But why not do an autopsy here, cremate, and send it home?  I see no reason to ask people for money to send a cadaver to another country - still, it is their freedom of choice to donate or not, but it seems a waste of money. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Ricksta1985 said:

Luckily, that is not for you to decide what is and what isn't appropriate. Someone can travel to Thailand for 2 weeks for £1500 - £2000, which can be paid for over the course of 6 or 7 months. No, he is not in full-time work - He was..... It has become clear you make only assumptions, assertions, and ''guesses''. You seem desperate to justify your original retarded comment by now blabbering on about a load of other nonsense that is completely irrelevant.  My point remains, things like this are what the platform is for, and that will not change if you like it or not. Whether his family had an alternative or not, you have zero clue about, only your guesses. You little man are the epitome of an imbecile, and, this comment above proves it Mr 0. 

This is a forum you muppet, where people express their opinions. I decide what I believe, not you or anyone else. I don't care whether you or anyone else contributes to Go Fund Me. 

If someone chooses to go to Thailand uninsured it is their decision. And the unintended financial consequences when something goes wrong are down to them and their family. No one else. Anyone who can afford to go here frequently, can afford to get back once. As for assumptions, you are also making them ... assuming that there is no financial resources available for this other than charity? You make your assumption, I make mine.  

20 minutes ago, BobBKK said:

But why not do an autopsy here, cremate, and send it home?  I see no reason to ask people for money to send a cadaver to another country - still, it is their freedom of choice to donate or not, but it seems a waste of money. 

There are many reasons why a family might opt to send the body home:

- emotional

• completely unexpected death in a comparatively young person, people wish to see him one more time, and that might include older relatives not fit to travel to Thailand, or such a large umber of people that no cheaper for them to fly to Thailand than to bring the body back.
  • need for closure: need to feel know the actual cause of death in as much detail/certainty as possible. Believe me, what one gets from an autopsy in Thailand does not do that (or much of anything else).  I have reviewed several "autopsy" reports of foreigners who died in Thailand, they are in no way of international standard and do not really give any insight into cause of death.

- religious beliefs/customs

-legal/financial: may need a UK coroner report to claim insurance etc. I doubt one could get a UK coroner verdict based on a Thai death certificate or "autopsy" report. At best it would be left as an "open verdict" and cause of death unknown. This can be a real problem if, for example, there was life insurance.

On 5/18/2024 at 7:01 PM, Irish made said:

I’m full sure the corpse doesn’t care how it’s loaded on to the plane. 

Nor does the corpse read the AN forum, so I'm reasonable sure the post was directed at the survivors who would make the arrangements who might care.

43 minutes ago, Ricksta1985 said:

"You little man are the epitome of an imbecile, and, this comment above proves it Mr 0. "

3 insults in one sentence!

Extra points for using a 4 syllable and a 3 syllable word.

But still pretty much standard schoolyard; no originality. 

Also, good use of the word "retarded" above, that always signals a well-thought-out position.

Do you do a lot of professional writing in addition to posting on AN?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AlexRich said:

This is a forum you muppet, where people express their opinions. I decide what I believe, not you or anyone else. I don't care whether you or anyone else contributes to Go Fund Me. 

If someone chooses to go to Thailand uninsured it is their decision. And the unintended financial consequences when something goes wrong are down to them and their family. No one else. Anyone who can afford to go here frequently, can afford to get back once. As for assumptions, you are also making them ... assuming that there is no financial resources available for this other than charity? You make your assumption, I make mine.  

Yes, I know Mr 0, and I chose to express my opinion of your opinion and point out some facts.

You seem to be failing to understand the concept of the platform. Just because the cause does not identify with what you deem a worthy fundraiser, it does not mean it is not suitable, just your opinion and a dumb was is all 🙂 

• Like 1

On 5/21/2024 at 3:16 PM, AlexRich said:

He’s not unemployed, he is in full time work. Not appropriate for Go Fund Me.

Who decides who should donate whatever sum to a charity?

I am  against Go Fund Me in principal and I will never donate to it but I also believe that it is up to each individual who, what and how, if any, they choose to donate any of their money to!