Latest developments and discussion of recent events in the Ukraine War

I wouldn't trust 1 word out of his mouth. Many Russians are not trustworthy people, mostly the one with government posts or Putin's allies

Pentagon chief speaks with Russia's new defence minister for first time

https://au.yahoo.com/news/pentagon-chief-speaks-russias-defense-010633167.html

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

it really doesn't mean much, same as they did to Putin...,  but at least they did it

International Criminal Court issues arrest warrants for Russia’s top general, ex-defense minister

https://au.yahoo.com/news/international-criminal-court-issues-arrest-130326202.html

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Bkk Brian said:

From Iuliia Mendel, ex spokesperson to @ZelenskyyUa

80% of Ukrainians believe in Ukraine's victory in the war, 12% do not. 
38% believe that it will come in 1-2 years, 15% - that it will take 3 to 5 years, 5% - more than 5 years, 1% - that the victory will happen "unlikely in my lifetime".

image.png.c04e57e1d990535609a56b4ff1990e7a.png

Also confirmed here:

Some 80% of respondents believe in Ukraine's victory in the war against Russia, while 12% do not.

These are the findings of a survey conducted by the Razumkov Center's sociological service from June 6 to 12, 2024. 

Additionally, compared to January 2024, there are somewhat more Ukrainians who believe that victory will come by the end of this year (from 20% to 24%).

According to the survey, 38% of respondents believe that victory will come in one to two years, 15% think it will take three to five years, 5% believe it will take more than five years, and 1% responded that victory is "unlikely in my lifetime."

Meanwhile, on an Asean Now poll, only 12.9% of of an extremely biased and pro-Ukrainian audience thinks that Ukraine will win…:cheesy:

• Confused 3
  • Sad 3

3 hours ago, Gweiloman said:

Meanwhile, on an Asean Now poll, only 12.9% of of an extremely biased and pro-Ukrainian audience thinks that Ukraine will win…:cheesy:

Oh gosh, hilareous for you. Before tripping over laughing you should have taken a step back to see what that tells you about the other topic poll your referring to 😴

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

21 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

If that's the case then likely the Russians will ensure the F16s don't fly. I'm sure they are storing up drones and missiles to destroy every landing site. Apparently F16s can't take off from rough surfaces. Brilliant thinking by the designers, not.

Yes, I too read some time ago that clean runways are needed for F-16 and that the Russians would certainly make Ukraine's airfields unsuitable for them but I have not seen this mentioned since by politico commentators until your post. 

My conspiracy mind makes me think that NATo will try to operate them from nearby US vassal states like Poland. This is Casus Belli and will not be tolerated by Putin who has already said that foreign airfields will be made INOP if they host them.

F-16 are suited to be armed with nukes so I'm not sure what Putin will make of them if they start intruding in Russian territory. That should worry him about a potential sneaky nuke attack.

To this day I still fail to see what is the benefit for Europeans to so eagerly follow the US into their long-planned geostrategic proxy war against Russia in Ukraine. Old Russophobic hatreds should not trump the interests of the peoples of Europe. But then, among the EU leaders there is only Viktor Orban who seem to care for his people, the others are devoted Atlantists taking their orders from the boss.

• Like 1
  • Confused 4
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, jayceenik said:

Yes, I too read some time ago that clean runways are needed for F-16 and that the Russians would certainly make Ukraine's airfields unsuitable for them but I have not seen this mentioned since by politico commentators until your post. 

My conspiracy mind makes me think that NATo will try to operate them from nearby US vassal states like Poland. This is Casus Belli and will not be tolerated by Putin who has already said that foreign airfields will be made INOP if they host them.

F-16 are suited to be armed with nukes so I'm not sure what Putin will make of them if they start intruding in Russian territory. That should worry him about a potential sneaky nuke attack.

To this day I still fail to see what is the benefit for Europeans to so eagerly follow the US into their long-planned geostrategic proxy war against Russia in Ukraine. Old Russophobic hatreds should not trump the interests of the peoples of Europe. But then, among the EU leaders there is only Viktor Orban who seem to care for his people, the others are devoted Atlantists taking their orders from the boss.

I'm sure there is a plan for the new world order, and Ukraine is part of it, but more than that I know not.

• Confused 2

4 hours ago, jayceenik said:

Sweeden have used public roads s their strategy for decades and now part of the Nordic allianse strategy

A Norwegian F-35A fighter jet takes off after a touch-and-go landing on a highway in the Finnish forests. Immediately after landing, so-called "hot pit refueling" was carried out – a technique in which the motor runs while the fuel tank is being filled in order to reduce downtime

https://www.highnorthnews.com/en/norwegian-f-35-fighters-landed-finnish-highway-first-time

29 minutes ago, Hummin said:

Sweeden have used public roads s their strategy for decades and now part of the Nordic allianse strategy

A Norwegian F-35A fighter jet takes off after a touch-and-go landing on a highway in the Finnish forests. Immediately after landing, so-called "hot pit refueling" was carried out – a technique in which the motor runs while the fuel tank is being filled in order to reduce downtime

https://www.highnorthnews.com/en/norwegian-f-35-fighters-landed-finnish-highway-first-time

And that is why I think Ukraine would be better off with Gripens rather than F-16's.

Unfortunately, according to a spokesman for the Swedish Defence Minister:

"The other countries in the air force coalition have asked us to wait before donating the Gripen system”

Sweden pauses plans to send Gripen jets to Ukraine

A short-sighted decision by these "other countries" if you ask me.

9 minutes ago, GroveHillWanderer said:

And that is why I think Ukraine would be better off with Gripens rather than F-16's.

Unfortunately, according to a spokesman for the Swedish Defence Minister:

Sweden pauses plans to send Gripen jets to Ukraine

A short-sighted decision by these "other countries" if you ask me.

It is more likely about logistics and training, can't just trow advanced weapon and defense  systems at Ukraine and believe it doesnt steal crucial resources they need for other fields of the war. 

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, Hummin said:

It is more likely about logistics and training, can't just trow advanced weapon and defense  systems at Ukraine and believe it doesnt steal crucial resources they need for other fields of the war. 

Well yes, as the article states, it would be too logistically complicated to introduce two completely novel, advanced fighter jet systems into Ukraine at the same time. 

My point is that out of the two systems, the Gripen is much better suited to the current conditions in Ukraine, so if you're going to choose one to introduce first, it should be the Gripen. 

• Agree 1

16 hours ago, Hummin said:

LOL, from the vdo I've seen of Ukraine, finding a similar road in Ukraine might be a problem. They have to be strong enough to take one landing, and best not just mud.