Latest developments and discussion of recent events in the Ukraine War

6 hours ago, steven100 said:

Ukraine is doing ok by starting to attack Moscow facilities.  

Keep hitting Moscow and the Russians will suffer.  

They will receive long range guided missiles soon, which will bomb Moscow.  

Hit anything and everything.

Good job Ukraine.   

Will you be cheering when Russian missiles start blowing up Kyiv? That's how escalation works, Ukraine hits Moscow and Russia punishes Ukraine in response, ending up possibly with nukes wiping out Kyiv.

• Confused 3
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, problemfarang said:

UPDATE: 

russians are attacking back. We believe they are using paratroopers..

north side was not expecting this attack and we lost 2 or 3 villages in Kursk. sadly some units had to surrender to russians. Most likely they will kill them.

we stopped them from east side. And actually we got another village from east side. It seems they found a way to cross the river here and managed to escape. 

my squad had few close calls too. lost 1 turkish Kirpi on the way. 

while russian counter attack Elon Musk cut all of our net connection. 

we are resting now but fight going on in many areas. I expect we will have some fire fight in this afternoon.

i will try to update again.

thanks

That's all over the internet. According to some sources it's 10 villages captured from the Ukrainians.

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2024/9/11/russia-claims-kursk-counteroffensive-pushing-back-ukraine-forces

Russia claims Kursk counteroffensive pushing back Ukraine forces

Moscow’s troops have retaken some 10 settlements, claims major general; no comment from Ukraine.

• Confused 3
  • Agree 1

West wants Ukraine to set realistic war goals for next year, WSJ reports - The Kyiv Independent

https://kyivindependent.com/west-wants-ukraine-to-set-realistic-war-goals-for-next-year-wsj-reports/

Senior European officials told the WSJ that a full Ukraine victory would require the West to commit hundreds of billions of dollars worth of aid, which the partners are not ready to do.

Citing undisclosed official sources, the outlet wrote that the Western countries call for a pragmatic strategy that could be more easily sold to voters at home amid signs of growing fatigue.

• Confused 1
  • Agree 1

Russian forces have launched a concerted push against Ukrainian troops in the border Kursk region, according to both Moscow and Kyiv sources. A total of 10 settlements have been recaptured by Russia since Tuesday, Alaudinov said. It was described a "breakthrough" in Kursk-NEWSWEEK

https://www.newsweek.com/russia-kursk-counteroffensive-ukraine-1951986

• Confused 1
  • Agree 1

West’s missile go-ahead to Ukraine would hold no shortage of risks - Any decision to let Kyiv fire western missiles at Russia could have dramatic impact and must be carefully calibrated

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2024/sep/11/west-missile-go-ahead-ukraine-risks-russia

The complication is that it is hard to imagine the US, the UK or the other countries involved in the manufacture of Storm Shadow, France and Italy, simply giving Ukraine a free hand in where it might bomb inside Russia. It would not be hard to work out if either weapon had been used, and a miscalculation by Kyiv, perhaps killing a lot of civilians, would have wider consequences. Nor are there large stocks of either weapon, prompting scepticism in the US that they could turn the tide.

• Confused 3
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, beautifulthailand99 said:

More deep dive into data  - this areport from the prestigious Kiel Institute in Germany - one of the 50 most prestigious think tanks in the world. They say that as the stockpiles get depleted Russia increases production of new tanks. They believe the Russian production will reach 350 tanks per year in 2026 even without new production lines being opened between now and then. The report also says that they produce enough war materiel to cover their losses and equip three new field armies by October 2024.

Without NK Russia would be facing a shell deficit. With NK supplies it has a significant (100%) surplus.

The point being is that Russia has built an evolving formidable war machine whilst we in Europe are moaning about losing our winter fuel allowance and our NHS on it's knees and a restless population that won't write open cheques for ward far away.

Kiel Institute estimates that Russian tank production has increased by 215%, armoured vehicles 141%, artillery 150%, air defence 100-200% and Lancets by 475% compared to late 2022 - Kiel Institute

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kiel_Institute_for_the_World_Economy

https://www.ifw-kiel.de/fileadmin/Dateiverwaltung/IfW-Publications/fis-import/1f9c7f5f-15d2-45c4-8b85-9bb550cd449d-Kiel_Report_no1.pdf

Screenshot 2024-09-12 090945.jpg

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 1

5 minutes ago, ChicagoExpat said:

Yes, Russia is really committed to taking over Ukraine, and destroying it completely if he can't conquer it.  Not sure what you point is?  Maybe just state it plainly?

My point if you ever bothered to read my links is the dominant narrative oft punted here is ;

Putin is dying / will be deposed in a coup

Russia is running out of money , weapons and men and so one more push and he can be defeated any day now just keep on supporting the war. Of course if these "self-evident truths" are nothing such  then we are consigning Ukraine to total destruction as it were - to the last Ukrainian. Those relucutant consctipts are dying in droves or deserting in the Donbas short of weapons or training or air cover. Cursing war and rightly so whilst armchair generals seemingly oblivious to their suffering cheer onwards to victory.Is that plain enough ?

• Confused 3
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, Bkk Brian said:

When was the last time people on this topic were claiming Putin was dying or would be deposed in a coup? Who has ever said Russia was running out of money for its military complex and purchases? Who has claimed its running out of men? 

Talk about the truth, its time for you to reflect on that yourself. Your posts are nothing but Russian talking points and propaganda

Thanks Brian but I suggest you take it up with the publications I qoute from or put me on ignore. Those points have been oft made over the course of this war - indeed I did qoute from one of your posts from a year ago but got it taken down for baiting.

• Confused 2
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Will you be cheering when Russian missiles start blowing up Kyiv? That's how escalation works, Ukraine hits Moscow and Russia punishes Ukraine in response, ending up possibly with nukes wiping out Kyiv.

and you think this war has an even playing field..   ? f__k  no...    blow everything they can

They killed innocent soldiers surrendering .... they rape kids ....

and you support them .....  you should be banned and disgusted   !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!    don't talk to me again.  scum as Russians are.

• Confused 1
  • Agree 1

12 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

When was the last time people on this topic were claiming Putin was dying or would be deposed in a coup? Who has ever said Russia was running out of money for its military complex and purchases? Who has claimed its running out of men? 

Talk about the truth, its time for you to reflect on that yourself. Your posts are nothing but Russian talking points and propaganda

Russia IS running out of men. It's in demographic decline. There are only 87 men per 100 Russian women, one of the worst gender imbalances on the planet.

Russia has morphed its economy into a war economy. No matter how it ends, it will be a ruined economy by then.

America has been able to afford wars because it has grown the national debt to pay for them. That's sustainable because the dollar is the world reserve currency. In contrast, the ruble is a pariah currency no-one wants.

I believe the term is "Pyrrhic victory".

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

13 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

you really need to see someone about your anger management problems as you seem to have no self control.

As for not talking to you, I'll be delighted not to waste my time on someone that can't accept that other people can have a different opinion to yourself. It's like you think that your opinion is the only acceptable one. So, off to the ignore list with you.

no ......   if you support Russia then I said ...  get lost.   You support murderers 

simple ...     an opinion that support Russia is no opinion at all ... in my book

I don't support an invading country who rapes kids, and murders the elderly and shoots surrendering soldiers ....    

if you support that then that's your choice ...  goodbye and good riddance 

Edited by steven100
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, beautifulthailand99 said:

Screenshot 2024-09-12 090945.jpg

Pretty much like WW2 when Russia moved it's factories too far for Germany to destroy and produced enough to destroy the best army on the planet ( with assistance from the allies of course, except this time it's China, and Nth Korea, and Iran.

Ignorant men that refuse to learn from history are doomed to repeat it.

• Confused 2
  • Agree 1