HMRC did not collect my monthly DD as usual (from my UK bank account)

As per title.

I am living in Thailand.

I have paid voluntary class 3 NI contributions for around 12 years by direct debit from my bank account.  I contacted my UK bank who confirm the DD mandate is still fine. This month's payment was due to go out on 13th but was not acted upon.

Anyone else had a similar problem?  How can I contact them?

Thanks in advance.

How many years have you paid?  I had a payment not taken, and when I asked why I was told that once I had 35 years contributions they stopped taking money.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, BlueScouse said:

How many years have you paid?  I had a payment not taken, and when I asked why I was told that once I had 35 years contributions they stopped taking money.

I thought it was 33, but fag packet calculation takes me to 34.  Maybe it is 35. Thanks for your insight.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 5/20/2024 at 12:19 PM, mommysboy said:

I thought it was 33, but fag packet calculation takes me to 34.  Maybe it is 35. Thanks for your insight.

If you have a Gov Gateway account you should be able to look up online exactly how many years they reckon you have - if your last payment was this time last year it should have been allocated by now. 

If you haven't then yes you will have to contact them - I did last week and was on hold for about 25 minutes. Also make sure you have exact personal details available to answer the security questions. If you get one bit wrong they won't tell you what bit is wrong.......(don't ask me how I know......:angry:)

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 5/20/2024 at 6:19 AM, mommysboy said:

Its definitely 35 years and as Topt said above if you have a Government Gateway account you can see the all years you have paid.

Edited by Eddie45

I did open a Gateway Account some time ago. I got the impression it was not possible to sign in from Thailand, but maybe that's about opening an account. I think I've got the sign in info written down somewhere.

19 hours ago, topt said:

If you have a Gov Gateway account you should be able to look up online exactly how many years they reckon you have - if your last payment was this time last year it should have been allocated by now. 

If you haven't then yes you will have to contact them - I did last week and was on hold for about 25 minutes. Also make sure you have exact personal details available to answer the security questions. If you get one bit wrong they won't tell you what bit is wrong.......(don't ask me how I know......:angry:)

So, did you have the same problem as me: direct debit not drawn.

27 minutes ago, mommysboy said:

So, did you have the same problem as me: direct debit not drawn.

No my enquiry was different.

10 hours ago, Eddie45 said:

Its definitely 35 years

Unless you have been contracted out at some point in which case it could be a lot more - as mine is.

• Agree 1

32 minutes ago, mommysboy said:

I did open a Gateway Account some time ago. I got the impression it was not possible to sign in from Thailand, but maybe that's about opening an account. I think I've got the sign in info written down somewhere.

Normally, well for me anyhow, as part of the log in process they send a security code to my registered phone (UK no.). No issue for me logging in from Thailand.

1 hour ago, mommysboy said:

Make sure you use a VPN which has a server in the UK and like Topt they send a text to your UK Sim when you log in. 

5 hours ago, Eddie45 said:

Make sure you use a VPN which has a server in the UK and like Topt they send a text to your UK Sim when you log in. 

I think what I thought was a Government Gateway account was in fact a DVLA Gateway.

Anyway I was able to open a proper Government Gateway account , from Thailand, without using a VPN, and getting verifications sent to a Thai mobile number- yes, I know it surprised me too!

I accessed the pension forecast page and it reads 221.20, and I looked at my yearly records which total 35. So I guess that answers my query.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, mommysboy said:

I think what I thought was a Government Gateway account was in fact a DVLA Gateway.

Anyway I was able to open a proper Government Gateway account , from Thailand, without using a VPN, and getting verifications sent to a Thai mobile number- yes, I know it surprised me too!

I accessed the pension forecast page and it reads 221.20, and I looked at my yearly records which total 35. So I guess that answers my query.

Sounds like you are good to go. Hopefully when Labour get into power they dont spend all the money like last time and there is money left for our Pensions.

3 hours ago, Eddie45 said:

Sounds like you are good to go. Hopefully when Labour get into power they dont spend all the money like last time and there is money left for our Pensions.

I don't think they were spendthrift last time, if anything the last dozen years or so have been awful. TBH, I worry more about a European war, that would be a real downer all round.

On 5/22/2024 at 1:46 PM, mommysboy said:

Glad to hear you were able to access it ok.

I take it you have never been contracted out?

I also presume it did not suggest you needed to make any more contributions to get the headline figure (which is in big bold nos. from memory).

Posted (edited)

I was never contracted out.

No, there was no specific message that said I needed to make any more contributions.  What I got was a pension forecast in big bold numbers, and by clicking I was able to access a long list of yearly records.  

From my own memory, I remember pension forecasts are calculated on what you will get based on current contributions applied to the latest yearly rate.

Actually, it seems I have 36 'full years'.  I will call HMRC Pensions to clarify the situation but it looks like everything is exactly as it should be, and there is no hurry. It makes sense to be absolutely sure, but I have 4 years before I start drawing.

Depending on continued good health, I may actually defer 2 or 3 years. 

Edited by mommysboy

Wha

7 hours ago, mommysboy said:

Depending on continued good health, I may actually defer 2 or 3 years. 

Are you going to defer for 2-3 years so they increase your future pension?

1 hour ago, Eddie45 said:

Are you going to defer for 2-3 years so they increase your future pension?

I may do Eddie - it's an option.  The pension would start 5.8% higher for one year, and so on.  It really depends on my financial circumstances and overall health.  The temptation is to just draw asap though, and that could be the best option.  Depressingly the average person only has 7 or 8 good years of health after retirement, so I don't want to waste time working.

I read on this forum about someone who delayed getting their UK State pension, when they were living in Thailand and didnt get the additional 5.8% because when you are living in Thailand your pension gets frozen and its not increased each year in the new tax year. If you are going to be living in Thailand full time I would research this. Also read the link below. Personally I would take the Pension when you reach pension age. 5.8% is roughly £11.00 extra a week.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/money/other/the-year-the-state-pension-will-start-to-collapse-whoever-wins-the-election/ar-BB1n41nR?ocid=msedgntp&pc=U531&cvid=a81785b544ea4a92abec50313994e879&ei=26

Yes, I will probably do just that. It's very difficult to get correct information regarding uprating, etc, but deferment it seems to me is not the same as the annual increase.

I am destined it seems to carry on working well into retirement anyway, but it will be nice to see an extra 11k or so coming in for however long it lasts.

Logically, the pension will have to be reduced at some point for the boomer generation- my guess would be 25%, or national insurance increased significantly- possibly some combination of both.  I expect the burden of old age to shift from the state to the family once again.