⚠️ Suvarnabhumi Airport: Arrive at Airport 3+ hours before international flight from BKK

george

bkk-arrive early.jpegBANGKOK: -- Suvarnabhumi Airport departure passport control area are installing new automatic channel for passport screening to replace the existing system.

In the international departure passport control area, Zone 2, on the west side of the 4th Floor of the passenger terminal building, some areas will be closed until June 4, 2024.

Passengers departing on international flights are advised to arrive at BKK airport at least 3+ hours before their scheduled departure time.

This extra time allows for check-in, security checks, and any unexpected delays. Safe travels!

-- Source: AoT / THAI AIRWAYS INTERNATIONAL

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)

I never come too early anymore, most people do that already anyway, unless it is like peak high season. I do make sure to be there like at least 2 hours before if it is a more expensive international long haul flight though, in that case I usually like to hang out in free duty areas and a lounge beforehand anyway.

On domestic flights I now can leave home 45 minutes before a flight, and still be in time, parking my bike at the airport for free and checking in online. It's almost like taking a bus hehe, just pay for a 1/5 row seat, then not have to deal with the rest of the herd loading and unloading too:
15 minutes driving and parking max worst case
25 minutes security worst case
5 minutes walk to gate

Edited by ChaiyaTH
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, watchcat said:

More spending, they want all your money as you're leaving.

Could be counterproductive, too much time also allow people to take time and file for VAT returns hehe.

6 hours ago, GrungthepGringo said:

I recently flew out of Swampy. Got there 3 hours before flight departure time. Checkin took 20 minutes, security check took 5 minutes, reentry permit took 15 minutes, immigration took 10 minutes. I arrived at my gate and still had 2 more hours until my flight. Then the flight was delayed 2 more hours.

Hello,

Can someone pay reentry permit for retirement 1 year visa extension at the airport if no time or forgot  to go at his local immigration office in Jomtien for example ?

Where is that located and what do they need exactly ? Also 1000 B?

5 minutes ago, cedel said:

Hello,

Can someone pay reentry permit for retirement 1 year visa extension at the airport if no time or forgot  to go at his local immigration office in Jomtien for example ?

Yes. Can. 1,000 B if you have form prepared and photo. 1,200 B if you did not bring form and photo. The office is open 24 hours. Right next to the immigration queue on the left side before you exit out through immigration. If you can't find it just ask the airport staff. They will show you. 

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

Flew last week....Qatar....self check-in 2 mins....luggage, self check-in, 5 minutes.......security 5 mins.....passport straight through.....left with four hours to kill.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, cedel said:

Hello,

Did this in December at Phuket International .   Easy, just get there about 20 minutes earlier than you usually do.  Fill out paper work in advance and have photos ready + 1,000 THB.  In Phuket you go into immigration, and before you go through the line look for the desk that says 90 DAYS OVERSTAY PAY HERE NOW!   😅  That is where you get the reentry permit. Don't go through immigration first!!!!  Kind of stressful the first time, but pretty easy.

Posted (edited)
17 hours ago, LivingNThailand said:

Did this in December at Phuket International .   Easy, just get there about 20 minutes earlier than you usually do.  Fill out paper work in advance and have photos ready + 1,000 THB.  In Phuket you go into immigration, and before you go through the line look for the desk that says 90 DAYS OVERSTAY PAY HERE NOW!   😅  That is where you get the reentry permit. Don't go through immigration first!!!!  Kind of stressful the first time, but pretty easy.

Yeah most airports it's done really fast as long you bring the paperwork etc. Usually there is nobody waiting in front of you for stuff like that in Bangkok or Chiang Mai too.

Edited by ChaiyaTH

26 minutes ago, ChaiyaTH said:

Yeah most airports it's done really fast as long you bring the paperwork etc. Usually there is nobody waiting in front of you for stuff like that in Bangkok or Chiang Mai too.

I have a friend that completely spaced out about it and when he got to the airport in Phuket they filled out the paperwork and took photos, etc. and he got the reentry permit, but barely caught his flight.  IF you space out and don't have the paperwork or photos, better to leave at least an hour extra to the airport. 

While I was waiting for the paperwork, they were processing the airline crew at this desk too.  Really pushed them through fast, so I figure if you get there and there is a lot of airline staff waiting, it won't take much time to get to the head of the queue...just guessing though.

They have created such a ridiculous system via tsa etc that you need to arrive there a half a day before your flight take off. And you pay the cost to fund the added inconvenience. It’s proven that tsa is very ineffective too. They were able to get all sorts of things past tsa without any problems. Useless and endless pit of beaurocracy and wasteful spending. But hey, they got that water off of you before you were able to board the plane with it thank god. 

15 hours ago, Robert Paulson said:

They have created such a ridiculous system via tsa etc that you need to arrive there a half a day before your flight take off. And you pay the cost to fund the added inconvenience. It’s proven that tsa is very ineffective too. They were able to get all sorts of things past tsa without any problems. Useless and endless pit of beaurocracy and wasteful spending. But hey, they got that water off of you before you were able to board the plane with it thank god. 

What is this tsa you're talking about?

On 5/20/2024 at 8:11 AM, GrungthepGringo said:

I recently flew out of Swampy. Got there 3 hours before flight departure time. Checkin took 20 minutes, security check took 5 minutes, reentry permit took 15 minutes, immigration took 10 minutes. I arrived at my gate and still had 2 more hours until my flight. Then the flight was delayed 2 more hours.

Lucky you I arrived 5 hours before my flight and still missed it 

• Haha 1

On 5/19/2024 at 6:51 PM, george said:

bkk-arrive early.jpegBANGKOK: -- Suvarnabhumi Airport departure passport control area are installing new automatic channel for passport screening to replace the existing system.

In the international departure passport control area, Zone 2, on the west side of the 4th Floor of the passenger terminal building, some areas will be closed until June 4, 2024.

Passengers departing on international flights are advised to arrive at BKK airport at least 3+ hours before their scheduled departure time.

This extra time allows for check-in, security checks, and any unexpected delays. Safe travels!

-- Source: AoT / THAI AIRWAYS INTERNATIONAL

Interesting they want you to arrive 3 hours early due to the automated passport processing when the airline check in counters don't open until 2 hours before boarding and the automated check in kiosks that allow automated early check in dont allow for early bag drop until the same time the check in counters open. hopefully they syncronize everything better. I just went thru this last week. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

On 5/20/2024 at 8:17 AM, VBF said:

Is it possible that you're missing what the OP posted - it's certain dates May 15 to June 4 when "some areas will be closed". Those areas may be in the passport control, leading to unusual  delays.

Don't think @george is suggesting you change your usual patterns of timings outside these dates.

No it was not possibble to miss the op's message, it was a joke about foreigners...

• Confused 1

8 hours ago, Dan O said:

Interesting they want you to arrive 3 hours early due to the automated passport processing when the airline check in counters don't open until 2 hours before boarding and the automated check in kiosks that allow automated early check in dont allow for early bag drop until the same time the check in counters open. hopefully they syncronize everything better. I just went thru this last week. 

That's right. So, what is the extra hour for? Queuing up at the check-in counter?

• Agree 1

On 5/21/2024 at 10:06 AM, Robert Paulson said:

If you pay close attention at airports youre herded around. From one shopping zone to the next. Sit for hours of course you’ll be hungry. What do you know there’s some overpriced food right here in my face where they just herded me to. Not to mention they don’t allow water, but then you can have (expensive) water when in the terminal? Everything makes perfect sense if you see us as cattle led to their concession stands 

why i fly biz class and just go chill in the lounge

12 hours ago, GrungthepGringo said:

Was having such a great time shopping for women's perfume that you forgot why you were there? 

I never shop at BKK airport it's a rip-off but thanks to the airport staff who gave me the wrong information I missed my flight and had to book a new one for the next day.