Tourism campaign in the works to promote second-tier provinces

4-1223.jpg

In a bid to amplify tourism revenue from lesser-known provinces and cities, The Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) unveiled a five-point campaign aimed at promoting 55 second-tier regions. The initiative marks a collaborative effort involving nine ministries, the Royal Thai Police, and two additional agencies.

Deputy Governor of the TAT, Somruedee Jitjong, emphasised the necessity of diversifying tourism revenue streams by targeting these often overlooked areas.

Currently, these provinces contribute a mere 20% to the nation’s overall tourism revenue. However, with concerted efforts, the TAT aims to elevate this figure to 30%, translating to an estimated annual revenue of 330 billion baht.

Under the banner of Ignite Tourism Thailand, the tourism initiative encompasses a multifaceted approach aimed at rejuvenating the visitor experience across the nation’s second-tier provinces.

One key factor involves enhancing infrastructure, with a specific focus on upgrading the standard of restaurants and basic amenities. By investing in these fundamental aspects, Thailand aims to elevate the overall quality of tourist facilities.

Moreover, the campaign emphasises the importance of destination development as a means of enhancing the appeal of tourist sites and their surrounding landscapes.

Catering to travellers

In line with evolving tourist preferences and demands, the initiative also prioritises catering to the diverse needs of travellers. This entails developing goods and services tailored to meet the expectations of tourists, ranging from accommodations to recreational activities.

Central to the campaign’s objectives is the promotion of cultural richness and diversity. Thailand seeks to leverage its rich traditions to create compelling tourism routes and destinations.

Finally, the initiative underscores the importance of improved connectivity to facilitate seamless travel across all provinces and destinations. By enhancing public transport links, Thailand aims to streamline travelling within the nation, making it easier for tourists to explore the diverse attractions scattered, and hidden throughout the country.

Representatives from the ministries of defence, tourism and sports, transport, natural resources and environment, commerce, interior, culture, public health, and industry have gathered in a brainstorming session, to actively participate in crafting strategies to propel this initiative forward.

Somruedee disclosed that the proposals formulated during the session will be presented to the National Tourism Policy Committee for review and approval.

Subsequently, the allocation of budgetary resources for the upcoming fiscal year will be pursued to kickstart the implementation phase of this ambitious endeavour, reported The Nation.

The comprehensive approach adopted by Thailand reflects a concerted effort to promote sustainable tourism development while showcasing the diverse cultural and natural heritage of the nation’s second-tier provinces.

Through collaborative efforts and strategic planning, Thailand aims to unlock the full potential of these hidden tourism gems, offering travellers a richer and more immersive experience beyond traditional tourist hotspots.

By Ryan Turner

Image courtesy of TAT

Source: The Thaiger 2024-05-20

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

11 hours ago, StayinThailand2much said:

Most of the towns in those 'second-tier provinces' look the same to me. Okay, there is one, or the other national park, waterfall, or 'different' temple, but for individual travellers, going there is too troublesome (not to mention the highly inflated prices for foreign tourists in regards to sights, local transportation, etc.)

And I doubt that Chinese bus tourists would enjoy such long journeys. When I travel to/in Thailand, I want to see beaches, not recently built Wats in Nakhon Nowhere, 500km inland...

But, but, but, mine is different...

• Like 1

13 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

In a bid to amplify tourism revenue from lesser-known provinces and cities, The Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) unveiled a five-point campaign aimed at promoting 55 second-tier regions. The initiative marks a collaborative effort involving nine ministries, the Royal Thai Police, and two additional agencies.

Desperation to keep Thailand afloat... 

I have visited a few of these provinces and wouldn't mind to visit more of them, if I could only find some decent restaurants and hotels there!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Xonax said:

I have visited a few of these provinces and wouldn't mind to visit more of them, if I could only find some decent restaurants and hotels there!

i have driven thru much of Thailand ( all 76 provinces with Bangkok #77)  over the past 38 + years i have lived here
NEVER had a hard time finding a good meal or a place to lay my head

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Just now, zzzzz said:

i have driven thru much of Thailand ( all 76 provinces with Bangkok #77)  over the past 38 + years i have lived here
NEVER had a hard time finding a good meal or a place to lay my head

Yeah, If you're just eating Thai food everyday and i love Thai food but i get bored of rice everyday