Grab Strikes a Deal with Phuket and Chiang Mai Airports

A few words spring to mind; Cartel, Mafia, Stitch up, Corruption. For Phuket, financially, it makes sense to rent a car rather than rely upon taxis to get around the island. Chiang Mai is better once out of the airport as Grab/Bolt widely available. Bear in mind that almost every driver on Grab is also registered with Bolt. In Bangkok, many meter taxis are also on Grab and Bolt too. 

AoT is a private company, and can award contracts to who ever they please.  Control the 10 international airport in Thailand.

Finally some competition from taxis allowed.   It's a good thing people.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

There's a dedicated Grab Meeting Point being constructed at Suvarnabhumi as well - scheduled to open next month. Down at street level in front of the main terminal building.

Posted (edited)

Wouldn't be surprised if Grab has an added service fee for airport runs, though probably still better than any flat fees the taxis would charge, that they aren't suppose to.

Contract probably cost them a few baht  ... and there's no free lunch

Edited by KhunLA

I haven't used transport from Chiang Mai for several years. But I remember a taxi from airport to city centre was 150B. I used to live close to the airport and used to pay over 200B and I remember one time 400B. The other day first time in nearly 5 years used transport from CM airport. When I arrived I used the Grab app. Received a message from driver to goto grab pickup point. Surprised to see a big sign and tent with Grab logo. Cost to goto my house that had perviously cost more than 200 and unto 400?......... 141B.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm currently at Phuket airport and just checked the transportation costs to Patong. An airport-fixed fare taxi is 800 baht. Using the Grab app costs 847 baht. If I opt for Bolt, which requires a walk to the street as it can't pick up inside the airport, it’s 514 baht.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1