Dentist for an implant

On 5/21/2024 at 11:32 PM, retarius said:

I'm struggling with the same issue. How long do implants last anyway? I know 2 people who have had theirs' removed (very painfully).

My own dentist is pressing me to restore my bite on one side where I had an extraction, but I had a second opinion, who advised against it because the bone is thin. My dentist said "Oh don't worry I'll use a shorter implant"......what????? Isn't this going to wiggle out of the bone when I eat??????

My dentist is nice looking, but very young, and I wonder if she has the real world experience and has done many implants by herself...."hundreds" she told me....but I am a bit doubtful and looking for an old hag who really might have done hundreds of implants. 

Same with a motor cycle taxi ,I always look for an old guy.

• Like 1

On 5/21/2024 at 6:15 PM, BillStrangeOgre said:

Hi, I'm sure this has been asked a million times before but I'd like some up to date info please about getting an implant done in Bangkok

I usually use Bumrangrad for my dental needs and I've never had any complaints but they are getting ever more expensive. I think it's time to look for a more cost effective solution. I'm not interested in some back street quack operation, I'm sure there's plenty of those but I think I could still find quality dentistry for less than I'm being quoted. 

Anyone?

Cheers

Bill

I went to BIDC in Bangkok in 2008, the got it right first time and I've never had a problem since. Each year I have a check up with my regular dentist in Hua Hin, including X-ray, and he are suitably impressed with the way the implants are secured after so many years.

17 hours ago, BillStrangeOgre said:

The reason implants cost so much is. the imported technology and parts to do them. That's what I've been told. 

I was quoted 66,500bht, which included a bone graft (if I needed it) at Edelweiss on Sukhumvit yesterday. That's the cheaper Korean implant and crown they also have a US and Swiss (the most expensive) 

I think you'll find that anywhere in the world skilled work will cost. An implant is not the only solution, dentures are far cheaper and probably what most Thais go for

no, the reason it costs so much is because we are foreigners. DO you really think Thais could pay so much to have a better smile or working teeth? It is the same with the medical practices. They charge more to foreigners simply because they think we are all rich and willing to pay anything. 

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, BillStrangeOgre said:

The reason implants cost so much is. the imported technology and parts to do them. That's what I've been told. 

I was quoted 66,500bht, which included a bone graft (if I needed it) at Edelweiss on Sukhumvit yesterday. That's the cheaper Korean implant and crown they also have a US and Swiss (the most expensive) 

I think you'll find that anywhere in the world skilled work will cost. An implant is not the only solution, dentures are far cheaper and probably what most Thais go for

no, the reason it costs so much is because we are foreigners. DO you really think Thais could pay so much to have a better smile or working teeth? It is the same with the medical practices. They charge more to foreigners simply because they think we are all rich and willing to pay anything. 

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

6 hours ago, DavisH said:

A lot....at the Mahidol University dental hospital, the queue is at least 3 months long for implants. I've had 2 done there, about 60K each. People with money do this kind or work. The queue is so long its not even practical to get root canals done there, as multiple visits are needed. Being toothless makes one look poor lol

I hope you are wrong about this.. I have appointment there in 2 weeks haha...

2 hours ago, thesetat said:

You are misinformed. 

3 hours ago, Yellowtail said:

You are misinformed. 

really? So why can my wife call to ask the cost and they quote her thousands less than when i called speaking english and getting a quote? Perhaps you should try it sometime and see the difference

4 hours ago, thesetat said:

really? So why can my wife call to ask the cost and they quote her thousands less than when i called speaking english and getting a quote? Perhaps you should try it sometime and see the difference

I've tried it countless times in the last 25 years and my wife, and I typically pay the same for the same treatment. 

A lot of places have the prices on the website, or on flyers in the office. 

• Agree 1

On 5/22/2024 at 1:39 PM, fittobethaied said:

Dentistry is one of the biggest rip-offs in the country. The prices they charge are way beyond the means of most people in the society, and totally out of whack compared to the average salary of most workers. How in heaven's name can they justify asking 50,000 Baht and more for a simple implant or 8-10,000 for a crown. While living in Manila a few years back, I had a Filipino friend who manufactured crowns for American dentists and sold them for $10 and shipped to the US. I recently got a quote on some dental work and made the comment that it was way too expensive. The standard response is " but I spent a lot of money and time to learn how to do this business, plus it's cheaper than the dentists in the US. I told her I had no desire to pay for her education....just charge me a fair price for the work you do for me. I got the usual smirk combined with a fake smile and walked out. Absolutely outrageous! No wonder there are so many people walking around with only half their teeth in their skull. 

Whats your occupation / education? Did you study 6 years in one of the hardest courses at University and then study several years to do Implant surgery. No. 

50k is cheap and if you convert back to your own currency it will still be cheaper than the nanny state you come from. 

You should go to a village in India or Phillipines if your a tight fisted bugger

12 minutes ago, advancebooking said:

Whats your occupation / education? Did you study 6 years in one of the hardest courses at University and then study several years to do Implant surgery. No. 

50k is cheap and if you convert back to your own currency it will still be cheaper than the nanny state you come from. 

You should go to a village in India or Phillipines if your a tight fisted bugger

I am not complaining about the prices in Thailand, but they are comparable to US prices in some US states, and a bit more expensive than in Texas. 

On 5/24/2024 at 5:20 AM, thesetat said:

Dual pricing exists here in Thailand, no doubt. You have shop around. Not all merchants or service providers, what ever they are selling practise it.

Also, wrong to think all Thais couldn’t ‘pay so much’…plenty of middle class/wealthy Thais willing to splash out on dental treatment 😉 

• Haha 1

On 5/22/2024 at 8:32 AM, retarius said:

I'm struggling with the same issue. How long do implants last anyway? I know 2 people who have had theirs' removed (very painfully).

My own dentist is pressing me to restore my bite on one side where I had an extraction, but I had a second opinion, who advised against it because the bone is thin. My dentist said "Oh don't worry I'll use a shorter implant"......what????? Isn't this going to wiggle out of the bone when I eat??????

My dentist is nice looking, but very young, and I wonder if she has the real world experience and has done many implants by herself...."hundreds" she told me....but I am a bit doubtful and looking for an old hag who really might have done hundreds of implants. 

I had implants at BIDC in Bangkok in 2008. The teeth are well bedded in and in perfect working order. I have them checked X-ray every two years. 

On 6/5/2024 at 12:14 PM, Yellowtail said:

Not everyone needs a bone graft. 

Correct. My dentist said he'd decide that once he opened up the gum. No expensive 3-d ct scan was done. I think the graft was something like 10-15K baht. As it turned out, I didn't need a bone graft (even though the tooth had been missing a few years. 

On 5/24/2024 at 5:21 AM, thesetat said:

I hope you are wrong about this.. I have appointment there in 2 weeks haha...

Wrong about what? The price? I used the swiss implant material. You may see Khun Manop. He does the implant. He's Thai-Indian. 

I have had two tooth implants in Thailand, each at a cost of 60k; not a hospital but a dental surgery.

Both implants are good and have been confirmed overseas as well done, and just by coincidence, this included an X-ray view.

These were implants on the side of the mouth.

When I needed a front implant (one of the top central incisors) and having seen so many badly done caps/crowns/implants in this prime location, I decided to get it done on a visit to Australia.

By badly done, I mean so obvious that by shape, colour or orientation that it did not belong there, when seen from nearby.

Also, this tooth had decay under the gum and needed a bone graft and I felt more comfortable getting it done in Australia.

The first tooth provided was white and square, the second was grey and square. At this stage, the dentist took it out, re-shaped it and re-coloured in his on-site kiln, to match as a mirror image of the adjacent incisor.

It took 3 attempts to get a cosmetically correct tooth.

Maybe I should have got it done in Thailand. I’m just making a point that with the very front teeth, it can be difficult to get a good cosmetic result.

Does seem like the average dentist wants to give you a stand out pure and perfect white tooth, like an incentive to get all the others fixed.

I think there is a longer term issue where the implant tooth does not age in colour but the adjacent teeth do, so that new tooth stands out ‘more white’ with time.

My dentist tells me that if this happens, he can remove the tooth (there is small screw in the back), age it in his kiln and put it back in.

Not clear why he took 3 attempts to get my front tooth as a near perfect match to the others.

Just slack, at the end of the day, I don’t think he made much money out of me with those extra visits.

Just remembered visiting a dentist in Pattaya, some years earlier.

They (one dentist for implant, one dentist for crown) wanted to do all 3 implants at the same time.

I felt the tension in the air as they pushed me to go ahead.

I said I’d think about it. Good decision, one implant at a time is certainly enough.