Expats Sticking To Their Own Kind

keestha

The common language doesn't necessarily bring people together, it's more the result of cultural similarities.

I can mix better with Russians and Finns, whom I barely understand, than with Thais whom I understand at least a little, at least liguistically.

Many Francophones for instance make the mistake of thinking that the language is an essential part of their culture.

But in fact a Senegalese fisherman, a Swiss banker, a Belgian bricklayer and a French farmer would be unlikely to seek each other's company purely because of a common language.

On the other hand, I'm just as much at home in any European bar where the clientèle is culturally similar.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The farang population here, especially in Chiang Mai, is mostly made up from pockets of isolated loners living inside the main cities and on the outskirts, elderly retirees looking to play an occasional card game and some iffy young or middle aged farangs who strictly keep to their own clicks.

None of the above is particularly friendly, some even openly avoiding over farangs in their town, these are not community minded people.

So I would be very interested to learn where are all these English and other nationality farangs that stick together?

Edited by distortedlink

I find what distorted says to be the norm. Any time we've been away traveling round the country it's like trying to draw hens teeth talking to "local expats" even some bar owners have trouble giving the time of day.

I enjoy going to see friends that live in various parts of Thailand and having a good blowout now and again but I'm a lot happier in the village away from the maddening crowds and cliques.

Each to there own I guess

I observed that in places with a large number of expats, they tend to mainly restrict their socializing to those who share their cultural background. English speakers meeting up in places with names like Dave's Bar or the Dogs <deleted>, whilst the German speakers congregate in Alt Heidelberg, Wunderbar or whatever. The more expats there are, the more outspoken this phenomenon gets. In a place like for instance Pattaya there are places that are so ostensibly geared for Bavarians and other south Germans, that nobody from northern Germany would even think about going in there. There will be also places then where only a minor language like Dutch or Danish is spoken. For a long time I lived in one of the major beach resorts, still go there every year. The two biggest groups of expats there are the English speakers and the German speakers, contact between the two groups is very limited. Strange that people move half way around the globe in order to settle in kind of a bubble which is populated by their fellow countrymen, or at least people who speak the same language. There are extreme examples, like the German or Austrian restaurant owner who has been in Thailand 20 years already. He doesn't speak Thai, and he even hardly speaks English. He is speaking German with his customers all the time, and all the communication with the outside world, like government institutions, and even with the staff, is handled by his Thai wife with whom he communicates somehow.

I have never wanted any farang in my vicinity.

Because, they are illiterate and write blocks of text that is unreadable. Dieseldorf metal sheet workers, tattoed and alcoholics at that.

Just look what the block above looks like. Anyone who has been in school for 3 months would write better.

Please would you be so kind as to return to YOUR school for, at least, another three months? Here are just a couple of tips. Try and not place commas where they are not needed, do you understand? When writing, starting a sentence with 'Because' is generally not accepted as correct. Watch out for your use of tenses. If the 'illiterate' write 'blocks of text' then they are plural, meaning more than one block; this would mean that the blocks of text are unreadable, not is.

Just one more thing to help you on your way; spellcheck.

Dieseldorf - Dusseldorf (assuming that you meant an industrial city in western Germany on the Rhine)

tattoed - tattooed (assuming that you meant the act or practice of marking the skin with indelible patterns, pictures, legends, etc., by making punctures in it and inserting pigments)

Incidentally, if you find any mistakes in my 'block of text', please feel free NOT to bother pointing them out. I really don't care. :o

The farang population here, especially in Chiang Mai, is mostly made up from pockets of isolated loners living inside the main cities and on the outskirts, elderly retirees looking to play an occasional card game and some iffy young or middle aged farangs who strictly keep to their own clicks.

None of the above is particularly friendly, some even openly avoiding over farangs in their town, these are not community minded people.

So I would be very interested to learn where are all these English and other nationality farangs that stick together?

You have posted this same post at least a dozen times all over Thai Visa. Don't you get the hint when no one ever takes notice of you. i happen to know literally 100's of farangs living in Chiangmai that are very friendly, sociable and very content in their choice of living here.. I guess all your negativity would attract the sort of farang you are referring to. It's natures way.. :o

You have posted this same post at least a dozen times all over Thai Visa. Don't you get the hint when no one ever takes notice of you. i happen to know literally 100's of farangs living in Chiangmai that are very friendly, sociable and very content in their choice of living here.. I guess all your negativity would attract the sort of farang you are referring to. It's natures way.. :o

You say that I have posted this same post a dozen times and no one takes notice. For someone who takes no notice of me, you seem to be a diligent observer of my posts.

If you know 100s, (quote you said 100s) of farangs living in Chiang Mai, my question is:

Come on enlighten us?

Edited by distortedlink

Being a Canadian, I understand a bit what the American’s are up against when meeting other English speakers. Many times when people find out I am a Canadian, they say something along the lines of, “that’s a relief I thought you were a Bloody Yank”. That kind of environment is the reason you don’t see too many Americans about, or at least they don’t advertise who they are.

As an American, I want to thank you for pointing this out, because it is regrettably very true. In the circumstances stated, to express relief that someone is not a US citizen is no different than expressing relief to find out that someone is not a Jew or gay. As such, if anyone is inclined to negatively judge me simply based on my nationality, I cannot help but consider this person to be as provincial, ignorant, and bigoted as the most sister-lovin', cross-burning, Confederate flag waving, squirrel-killing southern redneck (Wait, didn't I just describe all Americans).

To be sure, numerous asinine Americans exist who fit neatly into the preconceived notions that many other Westerners harbor. However, these Americans, who annoy me just as well, do not represent the whole populace, and that I should even have to mention something so axiomatic underscores how ludicrous and phenomenally hypocritical US-bashing has become, and I can assure you that such chauvinistic presumptions were thriving before Bush entered office.

Although I am certainly not extroverted, I am happy to meet with anyone, irrespective of nationality, as long as mutually amenable personalities are involved. If this makes me a child, so what…

Personally I don't care what nationality is owning the bars I frequent as long as I can talk with people in them. Normaly I hang with Englsih speakers,simply becosue there are more of that type of bar in Thailand, and I am able to make myself at least partialy understood, and have no problem understanding the americans, english, aussies, kiwis, canadians and what not you encounter. I'll even sosialize with the odd German that may stumble into such a place.

But once I make a permanet move over. I guess after a few weeks in the village, surrounded only by Thais, it will be head first into the first Scandinavian place I see, to get some food from my own country, and perhaps read a newspaper or two.

If you know 100s, (quote you said 100s) of farangs living in Chiang Mai, my question is:

Come on enlighten us?

It wasn't I who said he knew hundreds, but if nobody's ever answered your continued question, I'll try to do my best. Farang that stick together in the Chiang Mai area can be found in town, often at taverns, sometimes at less reputable unmentionable places; shopping; at internet cafes; at several hundred restaurants that cater to foreigners; at Thai restaurants; at movies/cinemas (but don't talk during the show), at the common areas of guesthouses; at swimming pools (I got my ear talked off yesterday by a German); maybe on the jogging paths. And I probably left off the Thai group lessons, the classes at Payap; the other unmentionable places, etc.

But I never bump into folks in those places unless I go there and smile and look friendly.

Being a Canadian, I understand a bit what the American’s are up against when meeting other English speakers. Many times when people find out I am a Canadian, they say something along the lines of, “that’s a relief I thought you were a Bloody Yank”. That kind of environment is the reason you don’t see too many Americans about, or at least they don’t advertise who they are.

As an American, I want to thank you for pointing this out, because it is regrettably very true. In the circumstances stated, to express relief that someone is not a US citizen is no different than expressing relief to find out that someone is not a Jew or gay. As such, if anyone is inclined to negatively judge me simply based on my nationality, I cannot help but consider this person to be as provincial, ignorant, and bigoted as the most sister-lovin', cross-burning, Confederate flag waving, squirrel-killing southern redneck (Wait, didn't I just describe all Americans).

To be sure, numerous asinine Americans exist who fit neatly into the preconceived notions that many other Westerners harbor. However, these Americans, who annoy me just as well, do not represent the whole populace, and that I should even have to mention something so axiomatic underscores how ludicrous and phenomenally hypocritical US-bashing has become, and I can assure you that such chauvinistic presumptions were thriving before Bush entered office.

Although I am certainly not extroverted, I am happy to meet with anyone, irrespective of nationality, as long as mutually amenable personalities are involved. If this makes me a child, so what…

I can just imagine going into a bar with my checklist of people I don't want to drink with; I find someone, not American; check, not Jewish; check, not gay; check. Great. "Hi" I say "can I get you a beer? I didn't catch your name, what was it, Asaama Bin what?...."

I, personally, do not have anything against Americans. I simply have not met enough to make an informed decision. I can safely say that I have met enough residents of the UK to have decided that I liked some and didn't like others. Maybe if I meet enough US citizens then I could decide. I have been researching via American televison for a couple of decades and, so far, all I am getting from that is entertainment. Anyway, apart from anything else, sjones writes so brilliantly. Once I had looked-up some of the words at dictionary.com, I thought that was a good posting. :o

^

Well, CG, you write very good English for a Quebecoise and the the point you make is valid: the culture gap is far too wide.

If I buy clothes for my stepdaughter or son I can't talk German dress or shirt sizes to a Thai.

So I just rope in a passing Thai girl and say - her size.

It's not so easy with shoes either if you're looking for a 46, they keep pulling out 43s, my size.

These and the other posts are just a few of the reasons we seek out compatriots for company.

Anyway, I wouldn't want to party with Thais.

I don't care for their music, if they speak dialect I understand zilch and there's a fair risk I'll get stuck with the bill.

At least most farangs buy you a drink in return.

P.S. I only go to Thailand for the culture and spiritual ambience so I can't comment on the girls.

Umm... let's see here: you wouldn't want to party with Thais; you don't care for their music; you can't understand them when they speak; and you mistrust them...

But yet, you have the temerity to claim that you come to Thailand "for the culture and the spiritual ambience..."

Say what?

Good grief. Self-delusion knows no bounds.

I have this feeling that it is not exclusive to Thailand....Southall anyone ?

It must be something to do with comfort, tribal instincts,stick with your own kind for safety etc

Good point. But the Brits who complain about Asian ghetos in England come here and do the same.

That has something to do with the fact that they tend to claim benefits to the hilt and bleed off the state, whereas Brits in Thailand can do no such thing but must live off their wits, business or money thats been invested.

On expats sticking to their own kind, well the language that a 'tribe' speaks has a big thing to do with it.

Sticking Germans who don't speak English with English who don't speak German is a bit daft isn't it. Hence one big reason why everyone tends to group into the 'Language Tribes' so to speak.

^

Well, CG, you write very good English for a Quebecoise and the the point you make is valid: the culture gap is far too wide.

If I buy clothes for my stepdaughter or son I can't talk German dress or shirt sizes to a Thai.

It's not so easy with shoes either if you're looking for a 46, they keep pulling out 43s, my size.

These and the other posts are just a few of the reasons we seek out compatriots for company.

I don't care for their music, if they speak dialect I understand zilch and there's a fair risk I'll get stuck with the bill.

P.S. I only go to Thailand for the culture and spiritual ambience so I can't comment on the girls.

Umm... let's see here: you wouldn't want to party with Thais; you don't care for their music; you can't understand them when they speak; and you mistrust them...

But yet, you have the temerity to claim that you come to Thailand "for the culture and the spiritual ambience..."

Say what?

Good grief. The inability to recognise irony knows no bounds.

Most mainland Europeans speak at least one second language. Usually German; just in case.... :D

Always amazes me regarding Canada; nearly 40% of the population speak French. And the majority 60% let them???? :o

That's because English Canada is forever trying to get into our pants.

I rarely hang out with any ex-pats here. I might go out once in a blue moon with some, but on a day-to-day basis I hang out with my Thai friends.

Besides, when I do go out, the 3 of us (Me, Myself and I) are usually all the company I can deal with at one time. :o

^

Say what?

Good grief. The inability to recognise irony knows no bounds.

Thanks Thadd, glad somebody did. :o

You have posted this same post at least a dozen times all over Thai Visa. Don't you get the hint when no one ever takes notice of you. i happen to know literally 100's of farangs living in Chiangmai that are very friendly, sociable and very content in their choice of living here.. I guess all your negativity would attract the sort of farang you are referring to. It's natures way.. :D

You say that I have posted this same post a dozen times and no one takes notice. For someone who takes no notice of me, you seem to be a diligent observer of my posts.

Come on enlighten us?

Well without being promotional towards the bars and restaurants where the cool expats who are generally decent sorts hang out I can't tell you directly.

In fact I won't even PM you the locations in case you end up gravitating towards them and when I'm next in town I get:

'Hey JK, some gimp claiming to be from TV rolled down yesterday bringing a really bad mood with him.'

'Gee Sorry guys, I was just telling this guy on TV where we all hung out and...'

You get the picture? Good. :o

Edited by JimsKnight

BUT what about all the people who "escaped" their home country because they are fed up with the political and personal economic situation.

What to think of the people who have a modest pension in their homecountry, covering just a small condo and the utlilities there. For the same amount, they have a huge garden home in Thailand and live like God in france.

Yes, I can imagine that those people are more attracted to fellows from their home country and are not really bothered in the society where they live in. OK, it's not the way, but understandable.

if I live in america, I absolutely have to work. no way out of it. things are so expensive.

on the other hand, over here in southeast asia, I can live a decent life without working.

it's a no brainer.

mostly economical. but I must admit, I like all the things I can do here without having to go far.

in los angeles, you have to drive 30 minutes to get anywhere. here, I can walk to over 30 different shopping

malls which are like in a 3 mile radius.

if the thai baht goes to 30 to 1, I might consider going somewhere else though.

like I said, economics.