Arthritic knees

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, ThaiFelix said:

But how often do you have to kill your parents to support your weed habit?        :stoner:

I either buy it for 30bht/gm or grow it myself for nothing (but effort).

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, rumak said:

there are, at last count,  26, 242 youtube videos on how to fix your knees .   I am on number 462 .    /s   ( this means sarcasm.... as i found out recently ) 

from my extensive research I have found out that age is a very important factor in bodily ailments ( who woulda thought).   And knees ?   73 is the magic year.... when pain suddenly pop out of the bottle .   73 !   

now,  i too am going through all the possibilities and sure thing fixes to find what will work for me .    Stay tuned .    🙂

Damn. 73 last month and my right knee has just started now to give me some aggro.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Wobblybob said:

My knees were 74 years old just lately and although I don't have much problem walking, squatting is another kettle of fish. I have not sought any medical advice but I strongly suspect it may be arthritis. Have any other members got any advice on the subject, I have just seen this video on YouTube but have not tried it yet. Anyone know the cost of a knee operation should push come to shove.

https://youtu.be/nSZkzh4BaxU?si=sVPeilUvzJroqwdL

77 years old, previously torn cartilage and arthroscopy surgery on one knee. It seems the arthritis "flares" at times but mostly not a bother. When the pain occasionally "flares" I pop a little blue pill ... no, not that little blue pill! ... I am speaking of Advil. Works for me.

• Like 1

I had been suffering from occasional jaw, shoulder, knee, finger joint pains for maybe 20 years, that progressively got worse, to the point at which I was taking ibuprofen a couple of time a week. I started consuming a tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil daily about 4 years ago (I now pour it on my morning toast instead of butter) and it cleared up immediately - maybe have to take an ibuprofen every six months if I have over-done physical activity such as cutting trees or other heavy hand use.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, rumak said:

yes,  hopefully Saturday .   I didn't expect to do it at first... but both knees now stiff.   Not sure which one he gives ( but it is 3 shots,  1 a week )  

Hyaluronic Acid shots ( from the internet )  :

Brand Name

How It's Given

Euflexxa3 injections, each 1 week apart

Hyalgan3 to 5 injections, each 1 week apart

Orthovisc3 or 4 injections, each 1 week apart

Supartz3 to 5 injections, each 1 week apart

Synvisc3 injections, each 1 week apart

Synvisc-One1 injection

Worth noting: a friend who did the HA treatment found it to be quite effective for 7-8 months.  I don't recall which brand he received but it was 3 injections. He lives in Samut Sakhon, somewhat outside of Bangkok and though I can't quote the exact figure, he paid considerably less for the treatment there than what Bangkok hospitals were quoting.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Tropicalevo said:

Damn. 73 last month and my right knee has just started now to give me some aggro.

ALL MY POSTS ARE FACT CHECKED !     by my wife 

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, dddave said:

Worth noting: a friend who did the HA treatment found it to be quite effective for 7-8 months.  I don't recall which brand he received but it was 3 injections. He lives in Samut Sakhon, somewhat outside of Bangkok and though I can't quote the exact figure, he paid considerably less for the treatment there than what Bangkok hospitals were quoting.

When i start to do "research"  ..... i read whatever i can .  Unfortunately, nowadays the sources shown on giggle are paid for almost exclusively by main street sources.  Before there were many different ones !   But by searching and following some links a broader picture can be found.   I especially like to look for "user reviews"  ....regarding meds and procedures.  

Anywaysss.... a number of people reported good to excellent results... some lasting longer than the conservative 6 months usually quoted.  I wonder how drs can keep throwing meds at people that all acknowledge are not good for longevity .  

And yes..... cheaper options than BK  5 star hospitals are to be found .   MY opinion is that cost does not always mean better  ( but sometimes, yes ) .

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Wobblybob said:

Some very helpful and interesting replies getting posted here. I have noticed swelling of my knees, so maybe not arthritis after all, could be water on the knees.

keep all those replies in mind ....... go see the ortho in pattaya .   Listen closely .  Go back home and read up again on all the types of knee pain ( rheumatoid, osteoporosis, osteoARTHRITIS ( most common) .... and many others) .

then come back here and ask some more  🙂  (sheryl is helpful to assist )  but ultimately you will need to make your own decision what to try first.   ( not surgery )

Edited by rumak
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, Lorry said:

Exercise, exercise, exercise. You need strong thighs, the stronger,  the better.

Easy to say, but begs the question of HOW to exercise. The point is to get better, not worse.

10 hours ago, Lorry said:

Bob and Brad are good, but very old school.

Try to find additionally a more modern physical therapist,  maybe in the Naval Hospital?

Bob and Brad are experts and good 'nuff. You might read the comments to their vids for testimonials. Knee pain is a problem from time immemorial, w/ the same causes as ever. If any member here actually does any real work on the cause of the problem, rather than relying on meds and surgery for instant temporary relief from symptoms, that would be remarkable and laudable progress.

Thai physical therapist? Good luck, but might help and be motivating. Before one pays a therapist, it'd then be a good idea, if it hasn't been done already, to see a competent orthopedist and get the x-rays and MRIs to help determine what therapy might be appropriate. Therapy, whether from youtube or the pros, takes time & effort.

Edited by BigStar

21 hours ago, Wobblybob said:

the problem occurs when I go to a restaurant and I'm seated for an hour or so and decide to stand then the knees lock up

have you tried standing up every 10 or 15 minutes at the table and walking around a bit...

• Thumbs Up 1

34 minutes ago, 1FinickyOne said:

have you tried standing up every 10 or 15 minutes at the table and walking around a bit...

Yes 1Fin, I do weighted carries and the problem is lifting the bar without hurting the knees whilst not putting to much stress on the back.

51 minutes ago, BigStar said:

Easy to say, but begs the question of HOW to exercise. The point is to get better, not worse.

easy to say.... indeed !    Trying to get the Right exercise .... and the degree of exertion ... is a trial and error , case by case,  joint by joint endeavor .   And more often than not we err on one side or the other. 

my decision ( just yesterday) to go get the shots is based on my difficulty using my knees in a meaningful way to gain strength .  so, my legs are getting weaker . 

• Like 2

Have you try ozonotherapy injections which is official medical act?

You will solve temporarly your knee problem but you should make one injection ozon after 3-4 months and it is absolutely safe.

Otherwise try bone support high quality vitamins.

Personally I suggest you to pay a visit to doctor to examine your medical history for permanent solution otherwise ozon injection for relieve four times per year and it is official medical Act safe.

I’m a similar age and have some arthritis in both knees; not bad enough to warrant replacement or partial replacement surgery, and I don’t have any insurance so the cost is an additional deterrent. I was managing quite well taking one or two Celebrex anti-inflammatory tablets every day. Then about a year ago I read Sheryl saying that, that much regular use could increase the risk of heart issues. So I started a program of glucosamine supplements and turmeric curcumin supplements. I cut down the Celebrex to one every other day, and am incrementally improved from a year ago, which I think is a pretty decent result; I am a non smoker and only 67 kilos which is an advantage, but as Sheryl has said, every case is different, and knee replacements are not as successful as hip I believe.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Have you considered Stem Cells?  I had trouble with my knees and just got stem cells about two months ago.  This may not sound like much but now I can put my pants on standing up.  I couldn't before, always had to sit down.  I'm getting better every day.  Cost was 80k baht for 5 million stem cells, and 3 PRP injections and 4 hyperbaric oxygen chamber sessions.

First day of therapy was the oxygen chamber and the stem cells injections.  Second, third and fourth sessions (a week apart) were a hyperbaric oxygen chamber session and a PRP injection.

The initial consultation is with the doctor and he will perform an ultrasound of each knee.  He'll go over what he found with you.

As of now, it's the best 80k I've ever spent.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Jaybott said:

Have you considered Stem Cells?  I had trouble with my knees and just got stem cells about two months ago.  This may not sound like much but now I can put my pants on standing up.  I couldn't before, always had to sit down.  I'm getting better every day.  Cost was 80k baht for 5 million stem cells, and 3 PRP injections and 4 hyperbaric oxygen chamber sessions.

First day of therapy was the oxygen chamber and the stem cells injections.  Second, third and fourth sessions (a week apart) were a hyperbaric oxygen chamber session and a PRP injection.

The initial consultation is with the doctor and he will perform an ultrasound of each knee.  He'll go over what he found with you.

As of now, it's the best 80k I've ever spent.

did you have both knees done ?    80k for one , or  ?

can you share how you researched this option..... why you "trusted"  trying this treatment .    and , where did you do it ?

lots of questions,  i know .   but,  would definitely appreciate any info you can pass along     rumak

• Like 2

Stem cell treatment for arthritis is still in experimental stages.

Any clinic offering it, is doing so contrary to Thai Medical Council guidelines.

There have been some very bad consequences (e.g. tumor growth) from unregulated stem cell treatments in Thailand.

PRP is also still considered investigational but is less risky IMO (other than possible loss of money if it doesn't work).

@rumak I would suggest getting HA injection. If no improvement thenmight later consider PRP.  Leave stem cells aside until there has been more research. It is not just a matter of determining if it works, but also how best to do it.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Sheryl said:

Stem cell treatment for arthritis is still in experimental stages.

Any clinic offering it, is doing so contrary to Thai Medical Council guidelines.

There have been some very bad consequences (e.g. tumor growth) from unregulated stem cell treatments in Thailand.

PRP is also still considered investigational but is less risky IMO (other than possible loss of money if it doesn't work).

@rumak I would suggest getting HA injection. If no improvement thenmight later consider PRP.  Leave stem cells aside until there has been more research. It is not just a matter of determining if it works, but also how best to do it.

Thanks Sheryl... i agree.   I have researched the HA injections well , and for my situation they could be a real knee saver.   I am an "oldie" .. but good health except for the surprise of knee pain about 8 months ago, and they are slowly getting more sore and the stretch, light exercise has not worked . ( in contrast, 3 years ago i broke my hip and after surgery was walking within a few months and without any pain after a year .)     

I was just curious about that stem cell post .. thus my questions .   I will getting a "one shot"  dose in each knee of a Swiss brand viscoelastic solution .  (HA injection)

• Like 1

On 5/22/2024 at 12:20 PM, Wobblybob said:

squatting is another kettle of fish.

I'm 73 and if I was to squat I would need somebody to lift me up, if on a floor I'd have to roll onto my side and try to get up from that position.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

I'm 73 and if I was to squat I would need somebody to lift me up, if on a floor I'd have to roll onto my side and try to get up from that position.

I have just tried sitting against a wall with the legs at a 90° angle as shown in this youtube video, it is supposed to be for 30 seconds but I managed about 10 and my legs were not a a totally 90° angle, but I'll keep with it for a while.

Strengthening the muscles around the kneecap seems the way to go, but I think from the feedback from this thread that not all will be capable of that.

https://youtu.be/MLBjnwOIx6o?si=u6bNrWGgQM-LEvW1

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

I am in a similar situation to you.

The last time I stumbled and fell, I was in the village and my wife couldn't get me to a position that I could help her or me to get up. Luckily enough she called a friend to help and between the 3 of us and the car door I managed to get up. I am 80.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, billd766 said:

I am in a similar situation to you.

The last time I stumbled and fell, I was in the village and my wife couldn't get me to a position that I could help her or me to get up. Luckily enough she called a friend to help and between the 3 of us and the car door I managed to get up. I am 80.

I'm only glad most places now have western Toilets, even most Thai restaurants. There is no way I could use a squat toilet. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

I'm only glad most places now have western Toilets, even most Thai restaurants. There is no way I could use a squat toilet. 

I think I'm long way off doing burpees. 🥴