China launches 'punishment' war games around Taiwan

image.png

China has initiated two days of military exercises around Taiwan, framing these actions as a "strong punishment" for what it terms the island's "separatist acts." These drills come just three days after the inauguration of Taiwanese President William Lai, who urged China to cease its threats and recognize Taiwan's democracy. This recent escalation underscores the persistent and intensifying tensions between China and Taiwan, reflecting Beijing's unwavering stance that Taiwan is a breakaway province destined to return under its control—a view starkly opposed by Taiwan, which sees itself as a sovereign entity.

Taiwan's defense ministry has condemned the exercises as "irrational provocations" and dispatched naval, air, and ground forces to defend the island's sovereignty. Notably, these drills are unprecedented in scope. For the first time, they simulated a full-scale attack rather than an economic blockade, targeting the main island of Taiwan as well as the Taipei-controlled Kinmen, Matsu, Wuqiu, and Dongyin islands close to the Chinese coast.

The drills extended to Taiwan’s eastern coast, a significant military redoubt with substantial hardened infrastructure, including a large underground airbase near Hualien. This move is strategic, showing Beijing's capability to threaten not just Taiwan’s western approaches but also its eastern defenses, which are crucial for any resupply or reinforcement from allies like the United States.

The People’s Liberation Army (PLA) emphasized that the drills focused on joint sea-air combat readiness, precision strikes on key targets, and integrated operations. These exercises are seen as a test of the PLA's "joint real combat capabilities." According to Taiwanese military experts, this suggests that China is preparing for a potential full-scale armed invasion.

In response, Taiwan has decried these actions as exacerbating global instability. President William Lai and Taiwan’s defense ministry have both highlighted the threats posed by continuous Chinese military harassment, which they argue undermines regional peace and stability. Taiwan's Mainland Affairs Council reiterated its commitment to maintaining peace across the Taiwan Strait, despite Beijing’s aggressive posturing.

China's maneuvers around Taiwan are not new. They mirror previous encirclement exercises, such as those following then-US House Speaker Nancy Pelosi’s visit to Taiwan in August 2022. These earlier drills simulated a blockade of Taiwan, involving ships, aircraft, and missile strikes, and set a precedent for the current exercises.

Beijing’s rhetoric has become increasingly assertive under President Xi Jinping, who has consistently stressed the inevitability of "reunification" with Taiwan. This stance was underscored just weeks before Taiwan’s recent election, reflecting a hardening of China’s position.

The international community, particularly NATO members and the United States, watches these developments with concern. The drills signal Beijing’s willingness to escalate military pressure on Taiwan, challenging any potential foreign intervention. Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesman Wang Wenbin justified the exercises as necessary to safeguard national sovereignty, dismissing Taiwan independence as "doomed to fail."

Taiwanese officials have condemned China’s actions, labeling them as attempts to intimidate and destabilize the region. They argue that Beijing’s militaristic mentality is incompatible with the principles of democracy and freedom. Despite the provocative nature of the drills, Taiwan’s government remains steadfast in its commitment to peace and stability, emphasizing that aggressive tactics will not win over the Taiwanese populace.

The ongoing tensions between China and Taiwan highlight the broader geopolitical struggle in the region. While China and Taiwan maintain some economic ties, formal communication channels are virtually nonexistent, and most of the international community recognizes Beijing over Taipei. The United States, despite lacking official diplomatic ties with Taiwan, remains a crucial supporter, bound by law to provide Taiwan with defensive means.

Analysts suggest that China’s current strategy involves a form of grey zone warfare, aimed at gradually weakening Taiwan’s resolve and international support without crossing into full-scale conflict. This approach seeks to apply sustained pressure on Taiwan, potentially leading to significant geopolitical shifts in the future.

Credit: BBC 2024-05-24

news-logo-btm.jpg

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

China is known to play the long game, but considering their aging demographic and crippled economy, they might not get a better chance at reclaiming Taiwan than right after a Trump election. I suppose Biden will have an equal response to China's games to keep this charade going. Probably a good time to practice US warfare anyway.

China calls these exercises "2024A," implying that there will be "B," "C," or more? And one of them will be the real thing, when the PRC sees its chance.

On 5/24/2024 at 11:41 AM, spidermike007 said:

Taiwan is not part of China. The South China Sea is not part of China. We are just starting to see the beligerence and aggression of the extremely toxic and foul CCP. It will continue for a long, long time. They are up to no good. 

Taiwan is internationally accepted as part of China. Go spread your lies and disinformation elsewhere.

• Confused 3
  • Sad 1

On 5/24/2024 at 8:44 AM, cncltd1973 said:

China is known to play the long game, but considering their aging demographic and crippled economy, they might not get a better chance at reclaiming Taiwan than right after a Trump election. I suppose Biden will have an equal response to China's games to keep this charade going. Probably a good time to practice US warfare anyway.

I don’t believe that China will invade Taiwan anytime soon. War is not good for either. Neither population wants death of its own people. It’s only the US that would love to see the Chinese killing each other. Not gonna happen. What might happen though is Chinaman killing Yankee Doodle if they come too close.

• Confused 4

On 5/23/2024 at 10:35 AM, Social Media said:

The United States, despite lacking official diplomatic ties with Taiwan, remains a crucial supporter, bound by law to provide Taiwan with defensive means.

Wonder how the USA would react if say Hawaii or Alaska declared they were a sovereign entity & say Russia or China provided them with defensive means? 

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, Danderman123 said:

Wow.

I knew there were pro-Russia types here, but it's truly a surprise to see China apologists here.

On the contrary, you and your ilk are complete American apologists.

Conflict in Europe, trouble in the Middle East, tensions in Asia. Guess the common denominator. (Answer: USA)

Some of you guys have your heads in such a dark place that you don’t see what’s happening all around the world. Countries and regions are dedollarising (the 10 ASEAN nations, most recently) because they just don’t trust the American government and system anymore. The USD share of national reserves have plunged from over 70% just a few years ago to about 50% currently. OPEC is starting to move away from the petrodollar. African countries in the Sahel are kicking western troops out. BRICS and SCO are expanding. 

All this is happening not because the world loves China but because no one trusts the US and its western vassals anymore. Stay arrogant in your hubris. One day, depending on how long you live, you might just wake up and wonder how it went so wrong.

• Confused 3
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, Gweiloman said:

Conflict in Europe, trouble in the Middle East, tensions in Asia. Guess the common denominator. (Answer: USA)

Some of you guys have your heads in such a dark place that you don’t see what’s happening all around the world. Countries and regions are dedollarising (the 10 ASEAN nations, most recently) because they just don’t trust the American government and system anymore. The USD share of national reserves have plunged from over 70% just a few years ago to about 50% currently. OPEC is starting to move away from the petrodollar. African countries in the Sahel are kicking western troops out. BRICS and SCO are expanding. 

All this is happening not because the world loves China but because no one trusts the US and its western vassals anymore. Stay arrogant in your hubris. One day, depending on how long you live, you might just wake up and wonder how it went so wrong.

Do you support Trump for president?

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

5 minutes ago, Danderman123 said:

Do you support Trump for president?

I’m not American. Why should I care who wins? Both current candidates are the bottom of the barrel. It’s just a matter of who would drag the country down faster.

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, Gweiloman said:

I’m not American. Why should I care who wins? Both current candidates are the bottom of the barrel. It’s just a matter of who would drag the country down faster.

The Red is hopeful, it would seem, eh, comrade.........:violin:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Gweiloman said:

To add to the above, I just saw on YT that there is now an application by the lead prosecutor of the ICC for issuance of arrest warrants for among others, Netanyahu and Gallant. Historic. The first of many dominoes to fall.

• Haha 2

24 minutes ago, Gweiloman said:

So, you are okay if Biden wins?

9 minutes ago, Danderman123 said:

So, you are okay if Biden wins?

I couldn’t care less either way. 

I noticed you didn’t actually address my points directly. Too intellectual?

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Gweiloman said:

Yep, they don't trust Trump. Or they think he's crazy.

• Agree 1

11 hours ago, Gweiloman said:

Taiwan is internationally accepted as part of China. Go spread your lies and disinformation elsewhere.

One China .....under Taipei.

The imperialist Chinese running dogs have no legitimacy . They do not represent the aspirations of the Chinese people.

If the CCP dares to carry out its threats of military action against the legitimate democratic voice of the Chinese people it will end in the Chinese people rising up against the CCP and dangling the senior members of the party from lampposts as happened to Mussolini.

China belongs to Taiwan

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Denim said:

The imperialist Chinese running dogs have no legitimacy . They do not represent the aspirations of the Chinese people.

If the CCP dares to carry out its threats of military action against the legitimate democratic voice of the Chinese people it will end in the Chinese people rising up against the CCP and dangling the senior members of the party from lampposts as happened to Mussolini.

China belongs to Taiwan

Congratulations on the most delusional post of the year. 

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, Denim said:

China belongs to Taiwan

Here. Free lesson for you. No charge. No need to thank me.

• Confused 1

6 hours ago, Gweiloman said:

Here. Free lesson for you. No charge. No need to thank me.

Lol CGTN is funded by the Chinese government. 

A new most delusional  post

Evergreen was the first Crack. The CCP are toast.... 

• Confused 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Denim said:

Lol CGTN is funded by the Chinese government. 

A new most delusional  post

Evergreen was the first Crack. The CCP are toast.... 

CGTN stands for China Global Television Network so of course it’s funded by the Chinese government. Even a fool knows that. But is the UN (United Nations, as it seems you didn’t know) also funded by the Chinese government?

This is the funny thing with guys like you. You are so blinkered and one sided. China bad, west good, unless they support China. So the latest is Serbia bad, Hungary bad. You are really a joke.

As for CCP being toast, idiots like Gordon Chang have been predicting it, for the last 15 years lol. He will be correct, eventually… but not before they become the only superpower in the world.

• Confused 1

Posted (edited)

24 minutes ago, Gweiloman said:

This is the funny thing with guys like you. You are so blinkered and one sided. China bad, west good, unless they support China. So the latest is Serbia bad, Hungary bad. You are really a joke.

The tragic thing with people like you is that you yourselves are so blinkered you are completely lost in propaganda.

Nobody I know says China is bad. Nobody. It it the CCP that is bad not the Chinese people. My friends in Taiwan are not overly worried about Xi and his threats to take Taiwan by force if necessary. They know this kind of propagander is mainly for consumption by the Chinese people. It is to show that the CCP is still strong and is a subtle warning not to try another set of protests like Tiananmen square where hundreds or more were killed trying to change the system.

Many foreigners have already left China under Xi and the Darien gap is swamped with Chinese trying to get into the USA (  crazy choice ) The Chinese economy is like a deck of cards , riddled with corruption that in the ens will have to be paid for by the people. The CCP are walking on thin ice and are trying any tactic to stay in power. But in the end their mis management will be their downfall. The main concern will be the power vacuum that follows. The world has already seen that when something bad falls it is not usually replaced immediately by something good. God help China when this plays out.

These videos show just how mad the regime has become.

Edited by Denim
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, Denim said:

The tragic thing with people like you is that you yourselves are so blinkered you are completely lost in propaganda.

Nobody I know says China is bad. Nobody. It it the CCP that is bad not the Chinese people. My friends in Taiwan are not overly worried about Xi and his threats to take Taiwan by force if necessary. They know this kind of propagander is mainly for consumption by the Chinese people. It is to show that the CCP is still strong and is a subtle warning not to try another set of protests like Tiananmen square where hundreds or more were killed trying to change the system.

Many foreigners have already left China under Xi and the Darien gap is swamped with Chinese trying to get into the USA (  crazy choice ) The Chinese economy is like a deck of cards , riddled with corruption that in the ens will have to be paid for by the people. The CCP are walking on thin ice and are trying any tactic to stay in power. But in the end their mis management will be their downfall. The main concern will be the power vacuum that follows. The world has already seen that when something bad falls it is not usually replaced immediately by something good. God help China when this plays out.

These videos show just how mad the regime has become.

I really wonder if guys like you actually know what you’re talking about or read what you’re writing.

I don’t know if many foreigners have left China or for what reason. A google search reveals the usual propaganda from western media. Even so, foreign investments into China is still growing with many, especially German firms, building more factories there. Scholz recently led a big delegation of top German executives to China and both CEO’s of Mercedes and BMW have stated they are increasing their investments.

Large amounts of Chinese trying to get into USA illegally? Lol. Personally, I doubt that very much. Of course there are economic refugees and possibly also criminals on the run from practically every country in the world. There are plenty of examples of farangs in this country illegally. Anecdotal evidence means nothing in the overall scheme of things.

The economy is like a deck of cards. Videos abound on the internet about China collapsing. China haters have been waiting for this for the last 2 decades lol. It will happen next week, they tell us. It will happen on June 4th, they tell us. Lol. Then all the US need to do is just sit back and wait and China won’t be a threat, right? No need to sanction, no need to prevent exports etc etc. This is such a ridiculous claim that I didn’t think any semi intelligent individual would still believe it. Guess I was wrong.

What is most pathetic about your post however are the 2 videos you linked. The first from a clearly propaganda channel with less than 50k subscribers. A video that has no description, no commentary, that shows some buildings being demolished. There are probably many reasons for this, most of which reflects well on the government. Could be that the buildings are not up to required safety standards, maybe they were built without the proper approvals etc. Shows that the Chinese government is hard on corruption. The 2nd video is a CGI video. Looks like a computer game in fact, haha. I don’t even know what you are trying to prove.

I take it you don’t like the CPC. Anyway there’s nothing you can do about it so get over it. It’s actually none of your business, unless you’re a Chinese citizen? Lol.

• Confused 2

17 minutes ago, Gweiloman said:

I really wonder if guys like you actually know what you’re talking about or read what you’re writing.

I don’t know if many foreigners have left China or for what reason. A google search reveals the usual propaganda from western media. Even so, foreign investments into China is still growing with many, especially German firms, building more factories there. Scholz recently led a big delegation of top German executives to China and both CEO’s of Mercedes and BMW have stated they are increasing their investments.

Large amounts of Chinese trying to get into USA illegally? Lol. Personally, I doubt that very much. Of course there are economic refugees and possibly also criminals on the run from practically every country in the world. There are plenty of examples of farangs in this country illegally. Anecdotal evidence means nothing in the overall scheme of things.

The economy is like a deck of cards. Videos abound on the internet about China collapsing. China haters have been waiting for this for the last 2 decades lol. It will happen next week, they tell us. It will happen on June 4th, they tell us. Lol. Then all the US need to do is just sit back and wait and China won’t be a threat, right? No need to sanction, no need to prevent exports etc etc. This is such a ridiculous claim that I didn’t think any semi intelligent individual would still believe it. Guess I was wrong.

What is most pathetic about your post however are the 2 videos you linked. The first from a clearly propaganda channel with less than 50k subscribers. A video that has no description, no commentary, that shows some buildings being demolished. There are probably many reasons for this, most of which reflects well on the government. Could be that the buildings are not up to required safety standards, maybe they were built without the proper approvals etc. Shows that the Chinese government is hard on corruption. The 2nd video is a CGI video. Looks like a computer game in fact, haha. I don’t even know what you are trying to prove.

I take it you don’t like the CPC. Anyway there’s nothing you can do about it so get over it. It’s actually none of your business, unless you’re a Chinese citizen? Lol.

But all of that is from your communist perspective...........🤔

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

I don’t know if many foreigners have left China or for what reason.

Large amounts of Chinese trying to get into USA illegally? Lol. Personally, I doubt that very much.

This thread is about Chinas intimidating military excercises around Taiwan.  Is this how Xi wants to win the hearts and minds of the Taiwanese ?

Many Chinese have had enough.

• Agree 1