Man fatally stabs friend to death over 20 baht in Chon Buri

webfact

Posted (edited)

I think it's safe to say that the vast majority of the violence here is gang related, related to young thugs and young criminals and fortunately it has very little impact upon us, as expats. I've been here for nearly two decades and have had no altercations. When I was living on Samui I did have some close calls with some hotheads, but I was always able to pacify the aggressors with either words of kindness or an act of humility. 

I am infinitely more concerned about violence, road rage, thievery and inane acts when I am in the US, than when I am in Thailand. I consider violence in America to be far more random, and it can happen anytime, anywhere. And it seems to be getting worse. 

Edited by spidermike007

Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Well this is one of those deep philosophical discussions that we could have for days. I do believe there is something innate within the American psyche that absolutely adores violence, we are a nation founded upon violence, we were birthed upon violence, we gorge ourselves on violent TV, film, video games, and we have more mass murders than any other country in the world by many multiples. Whether or not that increases in Thailand is somewhat irrelevant, the fact of the matter is I do believe many Americans find violence appealing on many levels. 

You could say that about most adults and youth in every country worldwide. The same TV, movies, video games and soap operas we see in the US are mirrored by either the same or copies of those. The only difference is the language used, along with subtitles. Most every nation was founded by violence, and many rich families got that way because their ancestors murdered or stole from their neighbors. These rich families are the same ones looked up to by many others, besides the ones that understand how they got rich. Think about history and how some people got to be leaders of countries. The US is not at the top as far as crime is concerned, although some think so....................https://worldpopulationreview.com/country-rankings/violent-crime-rates-by-country

Edited by fredwiggy