U.S.: Covid will still be here this summer. Will anyone care?

Screenshot_5.jpg.79697cd49602c2d8fd98b7d2958e91b5.jpg

Despite “FLiRT” variants, this may be the first covid wave with little federal pressure to limit transmission or data to even declare a surge

By now, it’s as familiar as sunscreen hitting the shelves: Americans are headed into another summer with new coronavirus variants and a likely uptick in cases.

This is shaping up to be the first covid wave with barely any federal pressure to limit transmission and little data to even declare a surge. People are no longer advised to isolate for five days after testing positive. Free tests are hard to come by. Soon, uninsured people will no longer be able to get coronavirus vaccines free.

“If a wave materializes this summer, we’re less poised to navigate the rough waters,” said Ziyad Al-Aly, an epidemiologist and long-covid researcher at the Veterans Affairs health-care system in St. Louis.

(more)

https://sg.news.yahoo.com/covid-still-summer-anyone-care-180911363.html

Screenshot_6.jpg.c3f584a6d9358c45c77b81c034c92a20.jpg

• Haha 2

For some, yes. For many others, not:

Per the above WAPO report:

"When Lauren Smith, a 46-year-old triathlete in New Jersey, got covid in late April, she figured it would be a “nothingburger” like her first case two summers ago. Instead, she said she developed persistent fatigue for weeks that has made it difficult to train, and she decided to pull out of her upcoming competition. Her case is one that doctors would call mild, but Smith says doing so obscures the reality of a virus more complicated than the flu.

“There’s no care or attention given to the fact that this is serious,” said Smith, noting that she was one of the only masked attendees at a recent Guster concert in Philadelphia. “I feel like so many people have said, ‘I’m tired of this, I don’t want to deal with this anymore.’ And I don’t feel like the CDC or any other agency is doing anything to combat that.”

and

"The proposal floored Cat Williams, who received a double lung transplant and faces heightened danger from covid infections because she takes medication that suppresses her immune system. At medical appointments, she has had to plead with medical staff to cover their faces while she gets her blood drawn and undergoes X-rays."

Posted (edited)

Care ... NO

For some of us, haven't cared or worried about it, since it arrived in 2020.  Just another bug, with very few exceptions, for the older & unhealthy folks to worry about.  Far more serious things out there for us older, fairly healthy folks to be concerned about.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Thumbs Up 1

The COVID thing probably won’t scare too many people at this point. But not to worry, they have another trick up their sleeve. Bird flu.  Supposedly, more deadly.  And I think they have a new MRNA vaccine ready to go.  

• Thumbs Up 2

6 hours ago, jas007 said:

The COVID thing probably won’t scare too many people at this point. But not to worry, they have another trick up their sleeve. Bird flu.  Supposedly, more deadly.  And I think they have a new MRNA vaccine ready to go.  

You, and the rest of the world, had better hope that the avian influenza doesn't evolve into a human pandemic.

Screenshot_7.jpg.b7e312728607adf7b29ae76e90be351f.jpg

https://cdn.who.int/media/docs/default-source/wpro---documents/emergency/surveillance/avian-influenza/ai_20240524.pdf?sfvrsn=5f006f99_132