Hello all, i have began to start my journey about the possibility of relocating to Canada - specifically to Vancouver. 

I am from the UK, and whilst i am post 40, and have no degree, i do have investment potential. I do have family out there - uncles, cousins. 

So how does one begin to look at the possibilities of moving out there ? Any assistance would be welcome.

As i said, i'm just beginning my journey, so forgive me ignorance. 

probably the most expensive place to live in canada. so beautiful though. investment in ? if real estate good luck. maybe you family here can offer some advice as well. 

check out immigration canada website for visa options. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Posted (edited)
36 minutes ago, DonniePeverley said:

i have began

What?

You will be happy in Canada...a place where grammar is unimportant....

Edited by GammaGlobulin
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, stoner said:

probably the most expensive place to live in canada. so beautiful though. investment in ? if real estate good luck. maybe you family here can offer some advice as well. 

check out immigration canada website for visa options. 

I've noticed property prices out there have gone through the roof post covid. I was looking at 4 bedroom properties out there around 2018, that have now shot up almost double in price. Astonishing. 

I've done some basic research, but there doesn't appear to be a forum like this one dedicated to going there.

Whilst holidaying in India, i was astonished to see literally whole towns of people heading to Canada, posters pushing immigration to Canada on a study visa, whilst it being a 'wink wink nudge' to a path to residency there. 

Yet unfortunately the pathway for someone from the UK, with property here that i can sell, as somewhat more difficult. 

Let's see how this unfolds. 

1 minute ago, DonniePeverley said:

Yet unfortunately the pathway for someone from the UK, with property here

where in the uk if you don't mind telling. 

43 minutes ago, DonniePeverley said:

, and have no degree,

with no degree, might be one of the worst investments of your life to go to vancouver and invest in property.

you can RENT there maybe, but if you dont have skills that can translate into high paying jobs, you will get into serious debt by buying property there. you are competing with rich chinese folks. 

vancouver is probably more allied to china than to north america. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Posted (edited)

It's basically IMPOSSIBLE to say....

I have began.

Logically, it makes no sense.

I began, is OK.

I have become, is OK.

Logically speaking.

I have begun to start my journey....

This makes sense, logically.

But, I have began to start my journey....

This really makes no sense, logically speaking, whatsoever....

Logically:

I have begun my journey to Canada....

(This makes more sense.)

Edited by GammaGlobulin

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, save the frogs said:

and the downtown is full of junkies apparently

I recall being at McGill University, many years ago.

Me and Pinker.

Anyway, back in the day, guys would take a leak up against any wall in the city.

But, those guys were not junkies.

They were bankers.

(You know that this is true.)

Montreal

Edited by GammaGlobulin
  • Haha 1

You are too old to move to Canada. 

What is the investment potential? 

Having done a PR for my wife it takes years to process.

You basically said nothing about yourself and your situation. I suggest immigration lawyer.

Posted (edited)

Vancouver was LITERALLY PARADISE before the World Expo in '86 I believe, I grew up there.

From water skiing to snow skiing in just under 10 minutes!

The cleanest, most beautiful city in world, IMHO!

Then the Chinese takeover of Hong Kong took place, and (rich) Hong Kong citizens realized that a Canadian citizenship was available for an affordable price, and many of them went for it, choosing Vancouver to invest in real estate mainly.

Property prices went through the roof, and remain there, increasing to well beyond a "regular" Canadian's affordability.

It still is, one of the most beautiful cities in the world, but there are many alternatives in Canada, smaller cities, many small towns, where things especially housing is much more affordable.

Vancouver is now exclusively to be enjoyed by the mega-rich, excepting those that chose to remain in their owned homes, my family being one, who did not pay much attention to the rapidly increasing housing rates, because they owned their own, prior to the price explosion and chose to remain there.

For newcomers, please note that even a modest home is now available at a minimum of a million dollars. 

Regarding weather, Vancouver is the most temperate, with snow only in winter, for a few short months, rest of the year is quite comfortable, unlike most other places in Canada.

Edited by CanadaSam
Spelling
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Enjoy the inflated property prices due to money laundering and similar crimes. It’s the most beautiful place in Canada but has a tarnished reputation. However that said the views are still breathtaking