5 year multiple entry DTV visa (Destination Thailand) from 2024-xx-xx

22 minutes ago, Tim K said:

I'm sure the extension fee would be higher than 10k to make the process "smooth".
With ED visa Phuket officials want 5k not the 1900thb.

I believe it's 10k to extend if you do it yourself.  A round trip ticket to KL or PP, including one or two nights hotel, is usually cheaper than that, so that is what most people would probably end up doing.

Edited by shdmn
  • Like 1

So two question in regards to this VISA, so my passport expires on October 2026 if I apply with this what happens in 2026 do i need to re-apply? 

And secondly I have the funds of 500,000THB but in GBP but I rather have this as spare money during my travels , so I have another account " Goverment Savings Debentures" I can get a statement from them , just want to know if they would accept this ? its fixed but I have ability to withdraw if needed.

1 hour ago, DCXMX said:

So two question in regards to this VISA, so my passport expires on October 2026 if I apply with this what happens in 2026 do i need to re-apply? 

And secondly I have the funds of 500,000THB but in GBP but I rather have this as spare money during my travels , so I have another account " Goverment Savings Debentures" I can get a statement from them , just want to know if they would accept this ? its fixed but I have ability to withdraw if needed.

It's probably like the tourist visa.  You get a document with ID # you can print out.  You show immigration your document and they stamp your passport and then hand write the type of visa the stamp is for.  Just save that document and print out another copy before each trip.  You can probably also go on the eVisa website and re-download the document.

Edited by shdmn

1 minute ago, shdmn said:

It's probably like the tourist visa.  You get a document with an ID # you can print out.  So it's a sticker that goes in your passport.  They just stamp you in and write in the type of visa the stamp is for.

But my passport would be new , the number would change wouldnt that affect it ? and to my second question any ideas?

4 hours ago, Tim K said:

Overnight train service from Bangkok to Vientiane will begin services on 19th of July and may be an excellent option for a visa run

You can literally fly out to cambodia or Kuala Lumpur for around £30. What is the nonsense of extreme visa runs?

26 minutes ago, DCXMX said:

But my passport would be new , the number would change wouldnt that affect it ? and to my second question any ideas?

Ok I see what you are saying now. The tourist visa has your passport ID #.  Good question.  Hadn't occurred to me before.  I'm willing to bet this problem hasn't occurred to them either.  For now I would be bringing my old passport with me until they figure something else out.  It's also possible this visa won't have your passport ID # on it, or it will be possible to change that online.  Hopefully it won't require a visit to the immigration office to sort it out although that is a distinct possibility as well.

On your second question.  They said the money doesn't need to remain in the account.  If you are not sure if they will accept certain account types you could deposit it into a standard bank account just before your statement date, print out the statement, then take it out again.

Edited by shdmn

So is this basically a 5 year visa ? For you to live in Thailand for 5 years ?

Only caveat being you have to get an extension after 180 days, then leave after the 180 extension? Then you can restart the 180 days again?

And can you clarify this is available to the 90 countries (basically most of the world). 

Not sure i agree with this at all. Don't know any country that has basically opened up it's border like this. 

• Agree 1

20 minutes ago, JoeyMac said:

So is this basically a 5 year visa ? For you to live in Thailand for 5 years ?

Only caveat being you have to get an extension after 180 days, then leave after the 180 extension? Then you can restart the 180 days again?

And can you clarify this is available to the 90 countries (basically most of the world). 

Not sure i agree with this at all. Don't know any country that has basically opened up it's border like this. 

It looks both too good to be true and a terrible idea

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, DonniePeverley said:

You can literally fly out to cambodia or Kuala Lumpur for around £30. What is the nonsense of extreme visa runs?

Maybe one way out of DMK at 4am with a stop along the way, and you still need to get back.

Edited by shdmn

8 minutes ago, JoeyMac said:

A crumbling infrustructure that can barely cope with the 40 million tourists they are going to achieve this year (a record), never mind 50,60,70 million more. 

they can invest in infrastructure to accomodate rising visitors.

and it forces them to come up with innovative solutions.

HOMA complex seems to be catering to nomads in Phuket

https://www.homa.co/about-us

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Yeah this is literally opening up the border. I guess this is Thailand’s way of implementing what’s been happening in the western countries for awhile now. I wonder what type of ppl will end up moving to Thailand. 

2 minutes ago, DonniePeverley said:

When you are citing Mexico and Georgia as the only examples to back up your claim you know you are onto a wrong argument. 

1. I cited Mexico, Georgia, Philippines, and Cambodia and can easily cite numerous others. Such "open border" policies are not rare at all and are actually becoming more and more common as countries compete to host digital nomads (search for "digital nomad visa").

2. I wasn't making an argument. I was citing facts to a poster who claimed that no country has ever offered such open ended visas/policies. Poster has been proven wrong.

I believe Indians of the sort you are worrying about will find it pretty hard to come up with a 500k baht proof of funds without falsifying documents, or the 10k fee for that matter, but who knows/cares. This move will certainly benefit me personally, and I welcome it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, DCXMX said:

As with any other visa type and the permission of stay granted from it, with a new passport you'd have the stamps transferred to your new passport at Immigration.

If the passport was obtained outside of Thailand, then re-enter carrying both old and new passports.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

11 hours ago, DonniePeverley said:

When you compare it to the fact this is essentially opening the border to mass immigration to Thailand - you only have to see what the Russians did in Phuket. 

Maybe they see it the other way:

Mass immigration is already happening,  the Russians are here already. 

DTV can legalize them,  similar to when they legalized millions of Burmese immigrants. 

Same for the Chinese,  many are here already and millions are supposed to come (not only railway workers, why else did China get the land along the new railway lines). So here is a legal framework. 

Which other immigrants will come?

Western digital nomads are tens of thousands,  that's enough to swamp some islands, but hardly mass immigration.

Indians with fake "digital nomad portfolios", working as laborers? I don't know. 

Edited by Lorry

1 hour ago, Lorry said:

Indians with fake "digital nomad portfolios", working as laborers? I don't know. 

No need for those tricks. Simply enrol in a cooking class, or music festival!

Get the 5 year visa stamped into your passport and you're good to go. 

Based on how visas operate there will be no re checking after the visa is in the passport, you're good for 5 years. 

• Agree 1

What about the 500K Thai Baht required...

- Is this required to be shown only at time of applying?

- Must 500K Baht stay in a Thai Bank account everyday for the full 5 years?

Maybe the DTV is an easier way to go than the Marry Visa?

No Re-Entry Stamp required I guess! 

Edited by FARANG KIWI
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, FARANG KIWI said:

Based on how the requirements are written- only required one time at application and not needed to be in a Thai Bank. 

Yes, looks much easier than a marriage visa, no re entry, no yearly extensions, no paperwork.

Could say the same for retirement visas.

If implemented as written -this will also kill some categories of the LTR visa, decimate the Elite Visa and will end anyone using "employer of record" visa services - why would you?

• Thumbs Up 1

40 minutes ago, FARANG KIWI said:

but what after 5 years? Will be possible to re-apply again?
maybe easier than marry vsa but it should be 20k for one year which is 100k for 5 years if i don't guess wrong

Edited by Jack1988

14 minutes ago, Jack1988 said:

but what after 5 years? Will be possible to re-apply again?
maybe easier than marry vsa but it should be 20k for one year which is 100k for 5 years if i don't guess wrong

No, you can not re-apply for this visa after 5 years.