British Pensioner Struggles with Frozen Pension in Thailand

webfact

28 minutes ago, Nigeone said:

This is not close to being correct. I live in a particularly expensive part of Britain and my pension is just gone up to £14,500 and I manage really well. Had two 1 month holidays in Thailand last year including hire of car for duration and room rental . I can save and just been to Turkey for a week. I budget well mind and don’t have sky and the likes but pay all my outgoing for apartment comfortably . I own with no mortgage though. But single occupancy . 

''..............my pension is just gone up to £14,500" 

I suspect that that is not the basic State Pension which is £221.40 per week which comes to = £11,500 app.

Are you in receipt of an additional (Works?) pension, or other pensions?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 10baht said:

I am not sure what this means, but I gave me a thought. Can't she fail to renew her visa and the Thai government will deport her ? Right?

At her own expense.

• Thumbs Up 2

3 hours ago, Blueman1 said:

Try & Get any Lawyer to fight The Goverment.....Immpossible !!

unless you are an "asylum seeker" looking for a fully funded human rights lawyer "to get you in"

• Agree 2

Im not a Brit but until I move here I didnt really know one what I do know they are people. Being so like me and everyone else we are human who in their life has always made an decision that was the right one WHO!

Know it or not everyone is part of one big pie why are we fighting each other to take what little slice we have been given. Know it or not we survive on the same boat.

When it comes to Government it is a shame many politician in particular boost that it is a " Global Economy "  talk about freedom so why do they care where their citizen live collecting from a program that was offered or even required. 

Like many western countries immigrants are being received or crossing illegal to enter the same leaders who cut benefits lavishs immigrants with benefits, services, provide other nations with aid that is never paid back even those who might hate our country. 

We are talking millions, billions, even trillons, this women like many has done their country a service leaving 30 years save them a sizable sum not using the system or being a burden. She is still a citizen or does that dont mean a thing any longer. This isnt about making Great Britian great again it is about doing what is right the BS sold daily by our politician. They spend our money like drunken sailor now want those who put in pick up the tab for their mistakes. These benefits are a drop in the bucket compare to their own waste.

Years ago back home I attended a meeting prior I already was fed up with Politician calling Social Security an " Entitlement "  a system I was required and gladly put in for over thirty year with a promise at the end of the rainbow. These politician take program good ones and destroy by dipping and changing the purpose to the point they are ruin when that happens they look to blame the common man brainwash many to point the finger and blame each other as some are doing now.

I had to contain myself not rushing the podium and choking the MF, out of respect for his service to our nation but I gave him a long tongue lashing he never forgot he lost the election.

On the surface, Thailand medical at times hospital think we are cash cows I had a friend in an hospital told family and us he couldnt travel when we understood the cost of procedure was unreasonable wasnt going to be done all of a sudden he was more than capable to fly plus now procedure 1.9 million could be done for 800,000.

I wish the Fox family the best hopefully if no major physical can help her get in shape to shape son gors along when they land drop her off at a government leader lawn give mom a kiss tell her we love you. Hope it nevers get to that but when  my number comes I'll be able to return on my own as soon as I get off the plane Im going to fall and expect the system I put into same services they are laying red carpet out for everyone around the world to find a place so a nice big nurse getting paid 6 figures wipe my behind.🤣

Dont fight with each other our fight is with our goverment who hss abandon their citizen for votes!

• Agree 1

12 minutes ago, Mike Teavee said:

There is no “Pot of Monry”, your contributions were used to pay Pensions for people who retired while you were working & People who are working/contributing today are paying your pension  

Well those working today may be making a contribution, but I would imagine most of the money is borrowed, I believe the funding requirements for the NHS alone are at least equal to, if not more than, the total tax take. But yes I have also heard that the "pot of money" story was a lie

• Like 1

"Much of the pension money paid by UK government to pensioners resident in the UK is recovered through taxes paid by the pensioners in the UK."

Absolute garbage! 

The pension payments made by the government for unfunded pensions are financed on an ongoing basis from National Insurance contributions and general taxation.

So the National Insurance contributions I paid all my working life pay for my pension - NOT through taxes paid by pensioners in the UK, which would contribute an infinitesimal amount to the total.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, sambum said:

I suspect that that is not the basic State Pension which is £221.40 per week which comes to = £11,500 app.

Thats not how the state pension works. You don't take the 2024 maximum and apply it to everyone who's been in payment for 20 years!

54 minutes ago, sambum said:

Yet the British Government can find room in the country for thousands of Immigrants who have contributed nothing to the system and get numerous benefits - 2024 figures up to now:-

"6,265 small boat arrivals compared to 5,049 in the same period last year, an increase of 24% together, Vietnamese (1,266) and Afghan (1,216) arrivals comprised 40% of the total arrivals in this period and are the top 2 nationalities arriving so far in 2024." (And that's just the "Illegals")

Figures for the "legals" are as follows:-

"In the twelve months to December 2023, approximately 1.22 million people migrated to the United Kingdom,............."

And the amount given by Britain in "Foreign Aid" in 2023:-

"In 2023, the UK provided £15.4 billion of Official Development Assistance (ODA). The ODA:GNI ratio for 2023 was 0.58%, compared to 0.51% in 20221."

And they can't afford to pay pensioners who live abroad the annual increments that the UK resident pensioners get?

SICKENING!!!

I can't disagree. It's as if the British government puts its own citizenry - people who have paid in all their lives - at the back of the queue. It's impossible to understand their rationale. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Surasak said:

Yes, it is cruel, but unfortunately has been like this for many, many years. The cost to the UK exchequer would be in the billions of ponds to upgrade those living outside Europe. Due to the spendthrift governments of all colours, to increase all pensions on a yearly basis would bankrupt the country.

As I've said elsewhere, what would be the cost to the exchequer if all these impoverished pensioners were to go back home and enroll in the NHS? A lot more...

• Agree 2

38 minutes ago, Surasak said:

The simple answer to that is NO. If the DWP know you have left the country after a pension upgrade, they will reduce it to the previous payment.

Probably best to not tell them and use family or friends address?

• Thumbs Up 1

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, Middle Aged Grouch said:

The UK sends billions to Ukraine in weapons and money but teats it's own population in such a manner.

They always find the money to poke there noses into other countries problems. and stick two fingers up to there own citizens. nothing new. 

But all, as they all drive home to there mansions every Friday night.

Team GB, what a laugh. 

Edited by rocketboy2
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, noobexpat said:

Thats not how the state pension works. You don't take the 2024 maximum and apply it to everyone who's been in payment for 20 years!

???????????

I am merely pointing out that the post implies that the writer's "pension" (Singular - implying State Pension") has just gone up to £14,500.

The full State Pension is £221.40 per week which comes to = £11,500 app., so where does the £3000 discrepancy come from?

4 minutes ago, sambum said:

???????????

I am merely pointing out that the post implies that the writer's "pension" (Singular - implying State Pension") has just gone up to £14,500.

The full State Pension is £221.40 per week which comes to = £11,500 app., so where does the £3000 discrepancy come from?

I believe those who were not contracted out of the "serps" additional pension scheme receive additional money

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, sambum said:

Well done . You’re up to speed . Yes it is my total State pension as where I live , Isle of Man , we get a supplement, if you have the required 35 years contributions ,  due to disparity in costs etc. Everything having basically be brought in and the higher cost of living and house/ rental prices . I don’t have any other income apart from a couple of small annuities which add around £1300 a year to my income . And no we are not a tax haven but our basic allowances are currently £14,500 . So with annunity I actually pay a small amount of tax, £51 total . 

Edited by Nigeone
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Nigeone said:

Well done . You’re up to speed . Yes it is my total State pension as where I live , Isle of Man , we get a supplement, if you have the required 35 years contributions ,  due to disparity in costs etc. Everything having basically be brought in and the higher cost of living and house/ rental prices . I don’t have any other income apart from a couple of small annuities which add around £1300 a year to my income . And no we are not a tax haven but our basic allowances are currently £14,500 . So with annunity I actually pay a small amount of tax, £51 total . 

Thank you for the explanation!

• Love It 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Posted (edited)
36 minutes ago, Bday Prang said:

I believe those who were not contracted out of the "serps" additional pension scheme receive additional money

You may be right, but the writer of the post is from the Isle of Man where apparently they have a higher level of Pension than the rest of the UK.

Edited by sambum
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

If the reason is that some pensioners living abroad don't contribute to the U.K.economy (not always true as many like myself pay U.K. tax), then pay the increases only as credits. These credits can  be only for U.K. purchases, thereby contributing to the U.K. 's benefit. Purchases could for instance be Treasury Bonds or Premium bonds which would benefit the U.K. government substantially. Even if they were 0% they would be an advantage.  Perhaps with a minimum 5 year holding.

It'll never happen of course. The reason they do it is because they know they can get away with it.

Edited by Baht Simpson
  • Agree 2

44 minutes ago, sambum said:

???????????

Its not a discrepancy. I just explained why. Can't you read??

• Sad 1

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, sambum said:

You may be right, but the writer of the post is from the Isle of Man where apparently they have a higher level of Pension than the rest of the UK.

Our basic rate of pension , just gone up , triple lock etc , is £241.50 a week and that’s what every pensioner will get currently. Any extra is based on NI contributions and how long you’ve made them. I actually had 49 years in and when my pension was calculated you needed 40 years . Now it’s 35 I believe. 
And not to sound pedantic but we are not part of the UK . Never have been . Always causes a reaction lol

Edited by Nigeone
  • Haha 2

42 minutes ago, Bday Prang said:

And before that the graduated scheme. And after serps was S2P.

Its a pretty complex history despite its seemingly simple definition.

10 minutes ago, noobexpat said:

Its not a discrepancy. I just explained why. Can't you read??

I can read perfectly well - pity you don't explain yourself more clearly!

What EXACTLY is your point?

• Love It 1