Please explain what to do....

Hi all. Recently, when trying to install an app on my Windows 11 laptop I get a pop up message which is confusing me and I don't know what to do. The message is "Do you want to allow this app to make changes to your device"  Options below are "Yes" and "No". "NO" is highlighted. Which way should I jump? Regards,thoengthaied.

1 minute ago, thoengthaied said:

Hi all. Recently, when trying to install an app on my Windows 11 laptop I get a pop up message which is confusing me and I don't know what to do. The message is "Do you want to allow this app to make changes to your device"  Options below are "Yes" and "No". "NO" is highlighted. Which way should I jump? Regards,thoengthaied.

to me, that is the problem with windows - they seem to think that whatever they come up is exactly what EVERYONE wants but I find that mostly I get confused and wonder what IDIOT thinks that I want that change.  If given a choice I always click on "no"

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, thoengthaied said:

Which way should I jump?

If you want to install the app you have to press yes.

As long as you know what it is and are happy with where you downloaded it from there should not be any issues. It obviously has to link into the OS to work.........

• Agree 2

go to YouTube  read about LINUX OS...all free   tons of custom OS's ones to even mimic APPLE and Windows XP etc....

will never have any issues again......i left windows over a decade ago..never been happier.....learned Linux right here in LOS 🙂

typing this post on my old rundown NETBOOK   running like a dream on Linux MX..........great OS to restore old laptops too!

• Agree 1

6 minutes ago, Sticky Rice Balls said:

will never have any issues again......i left windows over a decade ago..never been happier.

If you haven't used Windows for over a decade then perhaps you are not the best qualified to comment on it. During that 10 years I've had zero problems with it. In that time it's improved, same as any IT product.

• Agree 2

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, thoengthaied said:

From you post it is you who is actually wanting to install that app.

It is a security feature of Windows to ask you to actively agree to make the changes needed for that... so it is a good thing.

Of course you can click 'no', then the app will not be installed. But is this not self-explanatory?

Edited by jts-khorat
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, Presnock said:

to me, that is the problem with windows - they seem to think that whatever they come up is exactly what EVERYONE wants but I find that mostly I get confused and wonder what IDIOT thinks that I want that change.  If given a choice I always click on "no"

So the app WILL NOT be installed. So back to square 1.

There is a dialogue which says something like 'When do you want to be asked about this' and if you click it, you can pull the slider down to NEVER, not recommended by Mr Gates, and the pop up will not pop up again.

59 minutes ago, Sticky Rice Balls said:

go to YouTube  read about LINUX OS...all free   tons of custom OS's ones to even mimic APPLE and Windows XP etc....

will never have any issues again......i left windows over a decade ago..never been happier.....learned Linux right here in LOS 🙂

typing this post on my old rundown NETBOOK   running like a dream on Linux MX..........great OS to restore old laptops too!

The OP was asking about something in Windows, not how to change over to Linux.

Windows has changed a lot in ten years.

Why restore old laptops, do you still drive a Ford Anglia? 555

8 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

Why restore old laptops, do you still drive a Ford Anglia?

Good cars.  Had a 1950-something Anglia back in the day. 

ebay478888-568864870.jpg.2fbc4029628c7c92b647bd83af246417.jpg

• Like 1
  • Love It 1

Most programs need to make small changes to your computer - to access files or hardware like the speakers, and some may change other settings to enable them to run properly.  The Windows system is just checking you are OK with this.

So if you trust the source of the new program, click yes.

• Agree 1

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, thoengthaied said:

Yes, of course you want to make changes to your device. That's the only way you'll be able to install and use the app. If you're confident that the app is not harmful, (there are ways of checking I believe but I've never felt the need to) then click 'yes'.

Edited by Moonlover

4 hours ago, thoengthaied said:

Which way should I jump?

It depends.

If you know the app and you want the full functionality, then press Yes.

If you are not sure, then press No.

Best ask questions like that with exact information like which app, and the exact message.

Or google with those exact information. Then you will likely find already some information.