Mislabeling Reform UK As “Far-Right”

image.png

The use of the term “far-right” to describe political parties like Reform UK is not only unhelpful but also misleading. This broad-brush label triggers visceral reactions and fails to provide a nuanced understanding of the political landscape. As political scientist Tim Bale suggests, distinguishing between the “extreme right” and the “populist radical right” offers more clarity and accuracy.

The BBC's Apology and the Fallout

The issue came to a head on March 18th when the BBC’s Corrections and Clarifications page issued a statement:

“In an article about the Liberal Democrats’ spring conference we wrongly described the political party Reform UK as far-right when referring to polling. This sentence was subsequently removed from the article as it fell short of our usual editorial standards. While the original wording was based on news agency copy, we take full responsibility and apologise for the error.”

This retraction followed legal action by Reform UK’s leader, Richard Tice, who argued that the description was “defamatory and libellous.” Tice’s response on social media highlighted that the party was also contacting other news organizations that had used similar language. The BBC’s retraction suggests a recognition of the complexities involved in labeling political entities and a need for more precise terminology.

The Problem with “Far-Right”

As a political scientist, I argue that applying the term “far-right” to political parties is problematic. This term is often used as a pejorative “boo-word,” generating more heat than light in political discussions. It is an umbrella term that groups together a variety of parties with different ideologies and goals, making it too broad to be meaningful.

image.png

There is a degree of consensus among scholars that the right-wing spectrum includes two major subtypes: the mainstream right and the far right. The mainstream right encompasses long-established parties like Christian Democrats, Conservatives, and Liberals, who adopt centrist and moderate positions and support the norms of liberal, representative democracy.

In contrast, far-right parties are newer, more radical entrants into the political system. They challenge the status quo with hard-core positions and show weaker commitment to democratic norms. This critique can be explicit, with some far-right groups advocating for the overturning of the political system, or more subtle, undermining norms such as respectful discourse and minority rights.

Extreme Right vs. Populist Radical Right

Within the far-right category, it is crucial to distinguish between the extreme right and the populist radical right. The extreme right often has roots in fascism and neo-Nazi movements. These parties provoke suspicion that they would dismantle democratic institutions if they came to power.

The populist radical right, however, is more nuanced. These parties claim to have transcended any extremist roots, focusing instead on nationalism and nativism, which can verge on xenophobia. They emphasize that the needs of citizens should take priority over non-citizens, particularly regarding welfare and housing.

What sets the populist radical right apart is its populism. As Cas Mudde explains, this ideology frames politics as a struggle between “the pure people” and “the corrupt elite.” The populist radical right champions popular sovereignty over liberal democracy, which they see as favoring an out-of-touch elite.

Reform UK: Populist Radical Right?

These characteristics are familiar to anyone who has followed hard-core Brexiteers over the past decade. Reform UK fits more closely with the populist radical right than with the extreme right. This distinction is important not only for political scientists but also for media organizations like the BBC, which must strive for accuracy in their descriptions.

Reform UK, like other populist radical right parties, does not engage in ethnic or racial discrimination in the same explicit way as the extreme right. Instead, it advocates for national sovereignty and a form of populism that challenges the political establishment. Mislabeling such parties as “far-right” obscures these nuances and undermines informed political discourse.

Credit:  London School of Economics and Political Science 2024-06-03

news-logo-btm.jpg

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

57 minutes ago, James105 said:

The reason Reform exists is due to the fact the conservatives are not considered centre right any longer.  The conservatives are now just another globalist party lining the pockets of themselves and their globalist rich mates who like to employ cheap immigrant workers (at least until they can be replaced with even cheaper robots/AI) and Labour are no different.   The conservatives were elected on a pledge to reduce immigration to the "tens of thousands".  Brexit was also down to the fact that the EU was used as an excuse that immigration could not be controlled so the people voted to give that control to the elected government. Is mass uncontrolled immigration a "centre right conservative" policy?  I don't think so.  So of course there will be a party that emerges to fill the centre right void the conservatives have vacated in pursuit of globalism.   

"The reason Reform exists is due to the fact the conservatives are not considered centre right any longer."

True, they're right, not centre anymore.

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, James105 said:

The reason Reform exists is due to the fact the conservatives are not considered centre right any longer.  The conservatives are now just another globalist party lining the pockets of themselves and their globalist rich mates who like to employ cheap immigrant workers (at least until they can be replaced with even cheaper robots/AI) and Labour are no different.   The conservatives were elected on a pledge to reduce immigration to the "tens of thousands".  Brexit was also down to the fact that the EU was used as an excuse that immigration could not be controlled so the people voted to give that control to the elected government. Is mass uncontrolled immigration a "centre right conservative" policy?  I don't think so.  So of course there will be a party that emerges to fill the centre right void the conservatives have vacated in pursuit of globalism.   

Take a look at Reform’s policies, they are focussed on reducing taxes and regulation.

They are offering crumbs to the working class and riches for the already hyper wealthy,

Classic populist scam.

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:

The first misnomer is calling Reform UK a political party.

It’s a lobby /pressure group, tactically pulling the Conservatives away from center right politics to the far right.

Reform ‘members’ don’t get to vote on Reform Policies, they have zero say in how Reform or run.

If I may quote your soulmate @Red Forever, "If it waddles like a duck, quacks like a duck and looks like a duck it's probably a duck."

It is standing in many constituencies, it is trying, we shall see how effectively, to get in touch with the electorate, gain their support, and translate that support into seats in parliament.

Sounds remarkably like a political party to me!

The smears of " far right" and now claims that it is not a political party rather suggest to me that certain groupings on the UK's political spectrum are worried by them, Tory and Labour.

In what is, for me, something of a political epiphany, I am now thinking about some form of proportional representation.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Take a look at Reform’s policies, they are focussed on reducing taxes and regulation.

They are offering crumbs to the working class and riches for the already hyper wealthy,

Classic populist scam.

Bit like Messrs Blair, Brown and Mandelson's New Labour then?

Edited by herfiehandbag
  • Thanks 2

15 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Indeed.  They have chosen classic conservative policies which is a smaller state and lower taxes.  Not sure that is "populist", its just standard conservative stuff.  The "conservatives in name only" are pursuing higher taxes and bigger state interference and we already have a party for that called Labour don't we?  When an actual conservative (Truss) was democratically elected to lead the party by its conservative members she was ousted as soon as possible to make way for the current globalist puppet incumbent which just goes to show where the conservatives are now.   The 2 main parties should just be renamed to Globalist Party A and Globalist Party B to reflect the actual choice on offer for the UK public.  

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

16 minutes ago, herfiehandbag said:

If I may quote your soulmate @Red Forever, "If it waddles like a duck, quacks like a duck and looks like a duck it's probably a duck."

It is standing in many constituencies, it is trying, we shall see how effectively, to get in touch with the electorate, gain their support, and translate that support into seats in parliament.

Sounds remarkably like a political party to me!

The smears of " far right" and now claims that it is not a political party rather suggest to me that certain groupings on the UK's political spectrum are worried by them, Tory and Labour.

In what is, for me, something of a political epiphany, I am now thinking about some form of proportional representation.

Why would Labour worry about Reform, they are taking votes away from the Tories.

I would be very surprised if Reform win more than a handful of seats, I doubt they’ll get more than a couple.

They’re not even vetting their candidates and have ‘party structure’ to support an election campaign.

What they are benefiting from is the media giving to them far more covers than the LibDems, Greens and Reform have hooked the Tories into playing catch-up.

Reform make an outlandish rightwing policy promise, which they know they can never deliver on, the Tories respond with something similar, and Reform double down dragging the Tories further to the right.

A mess of the Tories own making.

It is interesting to me how favouring your own citizens over non-citizens is seen as a radical right position.  From my position far from Europe, the "radical right" seem to be a threat mainly due to their immigration policies. They don't want thousands/millions of aliens washing up on their shores and disturbing them. Plus the social and financial costs are enormous. Actual right wing parties would call for abolishing national health care, privatizing universities, and slashing various other social programmes. These 'populists' want to keep those programmes, but only for their own citizens. Makes sense to me.

• Agree 2

38 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Classic populist scam.

Reducing tax and regulation? How dare they try to kickstart the economy!! 

Here's a couple of their policies which are so anti-working class 🙄 

Make Work Pay. Lift the Income Tax Start Point to £20,000 Per Year.
This frees up to 7 million people from paying income tax and saves every worker almost £1,500 per year. This will help many back into work and escape the benefits trap. Basic Tax rate stays at 20%. The higher rate should begin at £70,000.

Cut Energy Taxes and Beat the Cost of Living Crisis.
Save households over £500 per year. Scrap VAT on energy bills. Lower fuel duty by 20p per litre. Scrap environmental levies.

12 minutes ago, James105 said:

Indeed.  They have chosen classic conservative policies which is a smaller state and lower taxes.  Not sure that is "populist", its just standard conservative stuff.  The "conservatives in name only" are pursuing higher taxes and bigger state interference and we already have a party for that called Labour don't we?  When an actual conservative (Truss) was democratically elected to lead the party by its conservative members she was ousted as soon as possible to make way for the current globalist puppet incumbent which just goes to show where the conservatives are now.   The 2 main parties should just be renamed to Globalist Party A and Globalist Party B to reflect the actual choice on offer for the UK public.  

Truss was ousted by the Tories after bringing the economy to the brink of collapse.

Tory reputation for ‘fiscal responsibility’ (which was always a joke) exposed as a lie.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, CG1 Blue said:

Reducing tax and regulation? How dare they try to kickstart the economy!! 

Here's a couple of their policies which are so anti-working class 🙄 

Make Work Pay. Lift the Income Tax Start Point to £20,000 Per Year.
This frees up to 7 million people from paying income tax and saves every worker almost £1,500 per year. This will help many back into work and escape the benefits trap. Basic Tax rate stays at 20%. The higher rate should begin at £70,000.

Cut Energy Taxes and Beat the Cost of Living Crisis.
Save households over £500 per year. Scrap VAT on energy bills. Lower fuel duty by 20p per litre. Scrap environmental levies.

They can make any promises they wish, they are never going to be in power and therefore will never have to deliver on these ‘easy promises’

The nations public services are already near collapse, tax cutting sounds great, until public services actually do collapse.

16 hours ago, Social Media said:

They emphasize that the needs of citizens should take priority over non-citizens, particularly regarding welfare and housing.

is this not why countries are formed ? to take care of their own ? if not then why do we even have countries anymore ? no borders. one world govt. one currency. lets get to it already. 

otherwise what's the point of paying taxes into social systems ? 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

5 minutes ago, Hanaguma said:

It is interesting to me how favouring your own citizens over non-citizens is seen as a radical right position.  From my position far from Europe, the "radical right" seem to be a threat mainly due to their immigration policies. They don't want thousands/millions of aliens washing up on their shores and disturbing them. Plus the social and financial costs are enormous. Actual right wing parties would call for abolishing national health care, privatizing universities, and slashing various other social programmes. These 'populists' want to keep those programmes, but only for their own citizens. Makes sense to me.

Reform UK is a break off from UKIP.

They too used the scapegoating of foreigners as a means to win votes with promises of getting immigration under control.

How did that work out?

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Chomper Higgot said:

They can make any promises they wish, they are never going to be in power and therefore will never have to deliver on these ‘easy promises’

The nations public services are already near collapse, tax cutting sounds great, until public services actually do collapse.

If you'd have started that response with "I stand corrected, but", I might even agree with you. 

4 minutes ago, CG1 Blue said:

Scheduled for 4pm UK time. Should be interesting. Rumours are he's going to stand for election in Clacton, Essex: 

Nigel Farage to make ‘emergency general election announcement' later today

https://www.lbc.co.uk/news/nigel-farage-to-make-emergency-general-election-announcement/

He has already ruled himself out of standing as a candidate in the general election because of the "very short notice".

Well that and the fact voters have a habit of rejecting his efforts to get into Parliament.

10 minutes ago, James105 said:

I'd suggest the extra weight of an additional 700,000 people a year is going to put a strain on any service.   Stopping so many people coming in, cutting the middle management tier of the NHS, sorting out the shambolic procurement that buys drugs at the highest possible price point from labelled brands and actually charging foreigners who use it (just like other countries do) would allow for significant cuts to the NHS budget I would think.   Then repeat the process across other wasteful entities and there is plenty of opportunity to cut taxes.   They are only so high as so much money is wasted.   

14 years of austerity (budget cuts) have failed deliver anything other than failing services and constant crisis.

5 hours ago, retarius said:

Far right has become the media's way of describing people they disagree with. Right and left wing designations have fallen apart and outlived their limited usefulness. No one with any sense calls Labour under Starmer, left wing. They are identical on all significant issues to the Tories. 

Basically, there is the far left, then everyone else are far right Nazis.

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

14 years of austerity (budget cuts) have failed deliver anything other than failing services and constant crisis.

Budget cuts? In 2011 the UK national budget was 700 billion GBP. 2021 was 1.05 trillion. This year looking at close to 1.2 trillion.