PM Unveils Thailand's First Châteaux Wine Exhibition

webfact

22 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

I got news for you Grapes are a fruit. 

I have news for you—fruit wine is not 100% wine. It is a wine with added fruit juice to lower the tax.

I know you are trying to be clever, but in the industry, fruit wine is used to denote those cheap boxes and bottles under 500THB that masquerade as 'wine'.

22 hours ago, Peterphuket said:

And above all: NO comparable quality.
French wines remain superior to what the Thais think they can make.

17 hours ago, Gottfrid said:

Just maybe they should learn how to make wine first. Before talking about being a hub again.

2 hours ago, MarkBR said:

Thailand has a fundamental problem in growing grapes, grapes are a Mediterranean climate plant.  This affects the quality.

They need a lot of research in how to breed varieties that will grow well in a subtropical climate., thus hopefully, improving the quality dramatically.  This is necessary if they want a profitable wine industry.

The announcement was about an exhibition of French wines, and his comments were about reducing the price of imported wines. None of this was about Thai-made wines.

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, khunjeff said:

The announcement was about an exhibition of French wines, and his comments were about reducing the price of imported wines. None of this was about Thai-made wines.

Correct, but you need to know a little bit more to make it a hub

• Confused 1

22 hours ago, dinsdale said:

Most wines I think. Being an Aussie I hold our wine in the very highest regard. Thai 'wines' are not even worthy of being mentioned in the same sentence. 

I agree with the 'wines' comment - I have not had a decent home grown wine in Thailand yet...  

However, beer on the other hand is quite different, some of the 'craft houses' make excellent beer.... 

Phuket Brew works sell some of their beers in some 7-11's... at 88 baht a 500ml can - very well priced and very tasty beer, I hope to see more development in this area throughout the year. 

Meanwhile, the article itself seems to me more about pairing Thai food with imported Wines and how the zero import tax and reduction in alcohol tax from 10% to 5% will stimulate growth in these markets - as most others have pointed out, we are yet to see this tax reduction  and many of us are cynical that that we'll see it at all and profits will not be syphoned off by the cartel of importers. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

A bit like the marketing ploy... Non alcoholic wine. 

That's called GRAPE JUICE you marketing Imbeciles. But naturally they expect you to pay more for it. 

The French are renown for their wines.

Australia make some pretty good reds, NZ are OK with some whites. 

Thailand make great food. 

Play to your strengths. 

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

For those who are waiting for cheaper wine in a restaurant. You may have to wait a little while longer.

Quote from a wine importer:
"It’s not like tomorrow everybody will drop their prices by 30%. It’s going to take a long time to implement it step by step,” says Conrad, as the price changes must be reflected across the supply chain. “Maybe by the end of the year, we could see some effect.”

https://www.thedrinksbusiness.com/2024/03/rocky-start-for-thailands-latest-alcohol-tax-reform/