Officials Guarantee Safety on Koh Samui Following Minor Earthquakes

samui-5-scaled.jpg

The Minister of Natural Resources and Environment, Pol Gen Patcharawat Wongsuwan, has reassured residents of Koh Samui that they are safe despite the island experiencing three minor earthquakes recently.

Responding to public fear and to provide security, Pol Gen Patcharawat directed the Department of Mineral Resources to fix a seismometer on the island. This would help ensure the safety of both residents and tourists. The first earthquake, which had a magnitude of 2.4, hit the island on Thursday, June 30. Two more quakes, measuring magnitudes of 2.4 and 2.2 respectively, occurred on Saturday. These earthquakes originated from the sea near the Bo Phut subdistrict and are thought to be a result of a shifting fault line.

Both Pichit Sombatmak, the head of the Department of Mineral Resources, and Dr. Virachart Wiwekwin, the head of the active faults unit of the Seismology Division, confirmed the minor nature of these earthquakes. They stated that there was no structural damage or aftershocks caused by these tremors. They also reassured that Koh Samui is a geologically stable area and it's unlikely to face any major seismic activities.

Officials from the Department of Mineral Resources are scheduled to visit Koh Samui later this week. They will spot potential sites for installing the seismometer. After the initial survey, there will be a series of discussions with relevant parties to finalize the installation plans.

File photo for reference only

news-logo-btm.jpg

-- 2024-06-03

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Confused 1
  • Haha 2

Since 2008, there have only been 16 earthquakes in Surat Thani. Most occurred on and near the Khlong Marui Fault Zone (KMFZ), a major active strike-slip fault system.

Those that even felt these 2 earthquakes described it as feeling "like a heavy truck driving by."

This is not a major earthquake risk zone, with the largest ever one occurring  on July 2, 2020 at 10.15, and was 4.9 on the richter scale, at a depth of 160 km, and 68 km northeast of Surat Thani. No one reported even feeling this earthquake 4 years ago, and it was only detected by earthquake monitoring station of BMKG (Meteorological, Climatological, and Geophysical Agency of Indonesia).

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Georgealbert said:

Since 2008, there have only been 16 earthquakes in Surat Thani. Most occurred on and near the Khlong Marui Fault Zone (KMFZ), a major active strike-slip fault system.

One of the reports did state that this was the first recorded earthquake in the Gulf since records have been kept. All others had been on the mainland.

Not sure how accurate that statement is.

Certainly I have never 'felt the earth move' in the 24 years that I have lived here :whistling:

Checked my CCTV cameras at the reported quake times and no visible vibration there.

Much ado etc etc

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, Tropicalevo said:

One of the reports did state that this was the first recorded earthquake in the Gulf since records have been kept. All others had been on the mainland.

Certainly I have never 'felt the earth move' in the 24 years that I have lived here :whistling:

Checked my CCTV cameras at the reported quake times and no visible vibration there.

Much ado etc etc

Yes, rare to occur in the gulf of Thailand, but these were not the first, the largest one in 2020, is shown on the map below, from an earthquake site.

https://www.volcanodiscovery.com/earthquakes/quake-info/2866749/M4-Thu-2-Jul-Malay-Peninsula-Thailand.html

IMG_3083.jpeg

Edited by Georgealbert
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

The Minister of Natural Resources and Environment, Pol Gen Patcharawat Wongsuwan, has reassured residents of Koh Samui that they are safe despite the island experiencing three minor earthquakes recently.

Does he have a crystal ball?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JimHuaHin said:

No, Thai Ministers and officials are more powerful than Mother Nature.

You'd think after the Indian Ocean Tsunami of 2004 it would have taught them to be more wise.

1 hour ago, JimHuaHin said:

Thai Ministers and officials are more powerful than Mother Nature.

Yes, besides they've installed a seismometer so everyone's safe.

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, Tropicalevo said:

Much ado etc etc

I felt the earth move in Patong once, her name if I recall was Ploy

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 6/3/2024 at 3:44 PM, AhFarangJa said:

Now that is fresh news, it has not happened yet.

All discussions to take place in 5 star hotels, all expenses paid, and will take at least two weeks. Upon which a committee will be appointed to look at all the facts, before another visit in a month or so to finalise decisions and dish out contracts. 

"Yes Minister" (Sir Humphrey Appleby)😄

• Haha 1