Honoring Dr. Fauci's Legacy in Advancing Public Health

25 minutes ago, Purdey said:

He is not an expert on vaccines, which is why he wouldn't know a lie if it fell on him.

So by your logic only members of congress who are vaccine 'experts' are entitled to an opinion on whether Fauci lied to congress. That would surely rule out 99.9% of members, so the enquiry should be held by one person (assuming there is one). Bizarre.

• Agree 1

Posted (edited)
40 minutes ago, ericbj said:

From your source above:

"Dr. Tabak,” asked Rep. Debbie Lesko (R-Ariz.) of the Select Subcommittee on the Coronavirus Pandemic, “did NIH fund gain-of-function research at the Wuhan Institute of Virology through [Manhattan-based nonprofit] EcoHealth [Alliance]?”

“It depends on your definition of gain-of-function research,” Tabak answered. “If you’re speaking about the generic term, yes, we did.” [emphasis added]

Tabak added that “this is research, the generic term [gain-of-function], is research that goes on in many, many labs around the country. It is not regulated. And the reason it’s not regulated is it poses no threat or harm to anybody.” [emphasis added]

Fauci on Monday addressed the gain of function claim regarding the research in China separately in comments not inconsistent with Tabak's reference to gain of function as a "generic term" involving non-harmful / no threat research:

As the AP reported:

"The definition of “gain of function” covers both general research and especially risky experiments to “enhance” the ability of potentially pandemic pathogens to spread or cause severe disease in humans. Fauci stressed he [in rejecting Republicans' claims] was using the risky experiment definition, saying “it would be molecularly impossible” for the bat viruses studied with EcoHealth’s funds to be turned into the virus that caused the pandemic."

https://apnews.com/article/fauci-covid-pandemic-origin-congress-a66625482f25824476ee315484790230

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

Posted (edited)
25 minutes ago, connda said:

In the meanwhile Fauci was grilled by the Senate

Fauci was testifying yesterday before a House subcommittee, not the Senate.

Takeaways from Fauci’s testimony at contentious House hearing on Covid-19 pandemic

"Some of the world’s leading scientists have investigated the origins of the virus, including a committee of experts from the World Health Organization. Most scientists believe that the virus spread from animals to humans in China. Some studies have also said that the theory that the virus escaped from a Chinese lab, the Wuhan Institute of Virology, cannot be ruled out.

Most US intelligence agencies say the virus was not genetically engineered, but it is still not totally clear how the pandemic started."

https://www.cnn.com/2024/06/03/politics/fauci-testimony-house-hearing-covid-19/index.html

And sadly, the year-plus long spectacle by the Republican-led subcommittee brought no meaningful new insight into that question.

New York Times, May 2024:

"But in a report and in extensive questioning on Wednesday, the Republicans offered no new information suggesting that EcoHealth Alliance or Dr. Daszak were involved in the coronavirus outbreak. And they did not produce any evidence pointing directly to a coronavirus leak from a lab in China, with or without EcoHealth’s involvement, a hitch in their years-long effort to implicate Chinese and American scientists in the beginnings of the pandemic."

https://archive.ph/Ho5gO#selection-7093.0-7097.432

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, Purdey said:

They cannot ask if the vaccine was effective. They can ask about Wuhan. He was America’s top infectious disease expert and testified that, contrary to allegations made by Republicans on the panel, he never sought to suppress the theory that COVID-19 came from a laboratory — and has always kept an open mind about the virus’s origins.

Report on Fauci's testimony:

"Most US intelligence agencies say the virus was not genetically engineered, but it is still not totally clear how the pandemic started. A US intelligence analysis released last year said either origin was possible, and the community remains split on the issue.

“I cannot account nor can anyone account for other things that might be going on in China, which is the reason why I have always said and will say now, I keep an open mind as to what the origin is,” Fauci said Monday.

https://www.cnn.com/2024/06/03/politics/fauci-testimony-house-hearing-covid-19/index.html

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Purdey said:

They cannot ask if the vaccine was effective. They can ask about Wuhan. He was America’s top infectious disease expert and testified that, contrary to allegations made by Republicans on the panel, he never sought to suppress the theory that COVID-19 came from a laboratory — and has always kept an open mind about the virus’s origins.

You have of course seen the infamous emails between Fauci, Collins, Daszak, Farrar et al trying desperately to find a way to suppress any opinion but theirs on the origin of the virus. But you choose to ignore them.

21 hours ago, roquefort said:

You have of course seen the infamous emails between Fauci, Collins, Daszak, Farrar et al trying desperately to find a way to suppress any opinion but theirs on the origin of the virus. But you choose to ignore them.

Yes, and they show they were paying attention.

Fauci said he participated in a conference call with several international virologists to discuss manipulation in the lab or possible spillover from animals to humans. He characterized the discussion as “lively,” with arguments on both sides. Fauci said he did not try to steer the discussion in any direction.

Fauci's email with Kristian Andersen and Sir Jeremy Farrar.

https://nypost.com/2021/06/02/fauci-was-warned-that-covid-may-have-been-engineered-emails/

• Like 1

21 hours ago, roquefort said:

On Monday, Dr. Fauci said, "it's possible the virus had leaked from a lab — he said that, given that the pandemic's origins remain unknown, he personally keeps an open mind."

“I did not try to steer the discussion in any direction,” Fauci told the committee, pointing to an email he sent the same day urging evolutionary scientists to further examine the lab-leak theory.

“It is inconceivable that anyone who reads this email could conclude that I was trying to cover up the possibility of a lab leak,” Fauci said. “I always kept an open mind.”

https://www.yahoo.com/news/fauci-testifies-before-congress-for-first-time-since-leaving-government-5-takeaways-from-the-hearing-183418709.html

Regarding emails uncovered by the committee sent by David Morens, a former senior adviser at the agency who, in April 2021, seemed to indicate that Fauci used his private email address to avoid having potentially sensitive information about government business disclosed to the public.

"In his opening statement, Fauci distanced himself from Morens, saying he knew nothing about Fauci's actions and that Morens “was not an adviser to me on institute policy or other substantive issues.”

“To the best of my knowledge, I have never conducted official business via my personal email.” 

https://www.yahoo.com/news/fauci-testifies-before-congress-for-first-time-since-leaving-government-5-takeaways-from-the-hearing-183418709.html

He seems to be wiping the floor with the Republicans.

6 hours ago, Purdey said:

And you know that because you are a top scientist?

Are you saying that it is necessary to be a top scientist to have an opinion? In that case, are YOU a top scientist? Or even a bottom one?

I have a brain - and eyes. And nobody's offering me money to say what they want me to say. So you can continue believing corrupt top scientists (like Fauci), and I'll continue believing my eyes.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

A post linking to disallowed private party social media content has been removed, per the forum's rules.

"18. Social media content is acceptable in most forums. However in factual areas such as but not limited to news, current affairs and health topics, social media cannot be used unless it is from a credible news media source or a government agency, and must include a link to the original source."

12 hours ago, johng said:

Top scientists,doctors,politicians or anyone else who did not go along with the narrative  where censored de-platformed,maligned,threatened and ridiculed.

There are now a growing number of people who went along with the narrative but have now changed their tune Chris Cuomo, Piers Morgon,Dr Drew,Robert Redfield,Kerryn Phelps,Dr Aseem Malhotra  for example.

Piers Morgan? Is he a scientist? Medical doctor?  Right...jeez

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Roo Island said:

Piers Morgan? Is he a scientist? Medical doctor?

Nope and neither is Cuomo I didn't say they where either.

They where both prominent pushers of the "narrative" on their media platforms and ridiculed people who went against the "narrative"   both have now changed their tune along with many others.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, johng said:

Nope and neither is Cuomo I didn't say they where either.

They where both prominent pushers of the "narrative" on their media platforms and ridiculed people who went against the "narrative"   both have now changed their tune along with many others.

Dodgy media bubble heads. Just opinions and not scientific facts. One reason I don't listen to them.

I disagree with RFK, Jr on a lot of things.  I do agree that, with 4% of the world's population, (the most expensive health care in the world), and 16% of the world's Covid deaths, there's very little to celebrate or to honor here.

Not to mention the incredible damage done to the reputation of the healthcare industry and the public trust in the CDC that will take decades, maybe generations to fix.

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2023/07/11/kennedy_us_has_4_of_the_world_population_and_16_of_covid_deaths_because_of_bad_policy.html

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/06/30/health/us-coronavirus-toll-in-numbers-june-trnd/index.html

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, BangkokHank said:

Are you saying that it is necessary to be a top scientist to have an opinion? In that case, are YOU a top scientist? Or even a bottom one?

I have a brain - and eyes. And nobody's offering me money to say what they want me to say. So you can continue believing corrupt top scientists (like Fauci), and I'll continue believing my eyes.

No but it is necessary to read thoroughly and not just opine while knowing nothing. Republicans have done this before when interviewing Mark Zuckerberg and showing they had no clue about how social media works.

https://www.cnet.com/news/politics/some-senators-in-congress-capitol-hill-just-dont-get-facebook-and-mark-zuckerberg/

Imagine how they sound discussing science.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, impulse said:

I disagree with RFK, Jr on a lot of things.  I do agree that, with 4% of the world's population, (the most expensive health care in the world), and 16% of the world's Covid deaths, there's very little to celebrate or to honor here.

Not to mention the incredible damage done to the reputation of the healthcare industry and the public trust in the CDC that will take decades, maybe generations to fix.

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2023/07/11/kennedy_us_has_4_of_the_world_population_and_16_of_covid_deaths_because_of_bad_policy.html

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/06/30/health/us-coronavirus-toll-in-numbers-june-trnd/index.html

So the widespread misinformation on social media leads to a distrust of the CDC and the like and you blame the CDC. 

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, impulse said:

The statistics quoted by JFK may be accurate (I did not check), but soon comes the complete B.S. in his statement :

"There's country countries that did the opposite of what we did, that provided ivermectin, hydroxychloroquine, other early treatments to their populations, and had 1/200th of our death rate."  🤣

Horse purge anyone?

6 hours ago, candide said:

It's funny how MAGA folks hate Fauci because he refused to follow Trumps advices and prescriptions... 😂

You mean putting something up your bum to cure covid? :cheesy:

• Haha 1