Hello all,

I separated from my wife a few years back. I have a son who is 16 years old and am considering switiching back to a NON O visa from a NON B. I had a NON O marriage visa for many years. My ex is Thai and obviously my son is a Thai citizen....

Here is my question: I have read that this visa is discontinued when my son turns 20 BUT I have also read a few stating that this is not the case. I remember one poster on here commenting that he still continued to get this visa AFTER his child turned 20.

Anyone? 

• Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

@DrJack54 Thanks, I've been told that it is 14 for non Thai, than 18, than 16. Everytime I got this "info" from IO at CW. Too late though, but maybe in next life could use )

27 minutes ago, 248900_1469958220 said:

Another issue is that I am NOT living with my son, he stays with his mother nearby. Is this an issue? We are separated but I see him often....

https://aseannow.com/topic/1077214-non-o-for-parent-of-thai-child/

"If you’re not married to your child’s mother you need to legalize your parenthood. Being named in the birth certificate isn’t enough. You would need to apply at the local court" 

ubonjoe attached link to what's required to be "legalized father" 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

https://aseannow.com/topic/1077214-non-o-for-parent-of-thai-child/

"If you’re not married to your child’s mother you need to legalize your parenthood. Being named in the birth certificate isn’t enough. You would need to apply at the local court" 

ubonjoe attached link to what's required to be "legalized father" 

What has this to do with the question of not living together with the child?

• Sad 2

38 minutes ago, AreYouGerman said:

What has this to do with the question of not living together with the child?

The OP, will apply for 12 months extension based on support of Thai child.

Direct your advice to the OP if you have any. 

Where did I mention requirement to live together? 

14 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

The OP, will apply for 12 months extension based on support of Thai child.

Direct your advice to the OP if you have any. 

Where did I mention requirement to live together? 

The IOs want to see the child accompanying and pictures of the child with father in/around the house on a regular basis.

You answered with a link to a topic about how to apply for legetimaztion but this isn't what the poster asked about. Just wanting to make sure the op gets the right info and helpful answers and not copy/paste stuff.

-->

4 hours ago, 248900_1469958220 said:

Another issue is that I am NOT living with my son, he stays with his mother nearby. Is this an issue? We are separated but I see him often....

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, AreYouGerman said:

You answered with a link to a topic about how to apply for legetimaztion but this isn't what the poster asked about.

Nonetheless this is required for extension based on support of Thai child.

The OP will realize this when applies for 12 month extension.

As the child does not live with you , you will not get that extension, that is one of the rules

Guessing you and your ex-wife had the child together, so legitimization is a non-issue

The rules state max age 20, but some people seem to have got the extension after that age.

5D712270-10A1-4933-9789-B92BAEE6B278.jpeg.5949977577ce19821a4449539a9fda90.jpeg

Quite similar to my situation -  I have a current extension of NON O based on Thai daughter aged 18 this year.  I have always in doubt whether I have the right to continue the same extension when she will reach at age of 20. I remember Thai officer at Phuket immigration keeps reminding me my extension will become invalidated after her age of 20 but I see your comments are quite contrary to that. 

I shall be curious to know if  anyone based on Thai child aged over 20 have succeeded to extend the NON O extension - in Phuket or else in Thailand?  

Hence, should I re-check with Phuket Immigration regarding no Thai age limit?  

21 minutes ago, Nabbiex said:

Quite similar to my situation -  I have a current extension of NON O based on Thai daughter aged 18 this year.  I have always in doubt whether I have the right to continue the same extension when she will reach at age of 20. I remember Thai officer at Phuket immigration keeps reminding me my extension will become invalidated after her age of 20 but I see your comments are quite contrary to that. 

I shall be curious to know if  anyone based on Thai child aged over 20 have succeeded to extend the NON O extension - in Phuket or else in Thailand?  

Hence, should I re-check with Phuket Immigration regarding no Thai age limit?  

Clear as mud as usual here.....Inspite of everyones helpful advice and it 'seeming' to be the case that ,you can renew after your child turnd 20.......I am not holding my breath.

• Agree 1

It is, as is often the case, important to be exact in your use of terms.

When discussing visas, it is accurate to talk about Non B, Non O etc. In the case of applying for a Non O visa at a Thai embassy/consulate to visit your Thai child, there are no restrictions in terms of cohabitation or age. (Depending on the embassy/consulate, the birth certificate showing you as the father will usually be sufficient without legalisation.)

When talking about extensions of your permission to stay in Thailand, visas are irrelevant (except that you need to be on an entry from a non immigrant visa). You are seeking an extension to stay with your Thai child. In that case,

(i) you need to be living in the same household as your child; and

(ii) the child must either be under 20 years of age, or be seriously disabled to the point where they are unable to live independently.

• Thumbs Up 1

Let me give some input here based on my personal experience.

As BritTim stated above, we need to be very between Visa and Extensions of stay. Also, on the actual situation.

For me, I divorced from the Thai mother when my son was still very young and I got the full parental rights by the court during the divorce. Since my son has been living with me in the same house. I actually purchased the house but in my son name (he owned the chanote and is the master in the blue book).

As I have working in SE Asia for the last 20 years (Vietnam, Cambodia, Myanmar), I was very frequently travelling between those countries and Thailand to come back home.

The justifications to travel very often to Thailand was obvious for the immigration and as soon as I provided the Thai birth certificate, the copy of the tabien baan, I was granted a Non O 1 year multi entries based on my son.

I did that for many years. The last Non O of this type was granted to me in 2019 from the Thai Embassy in Yangoon. My son was already 20 years old.

In 2020, as this 1 year Non O was expiring, I was in Thailand but due to Covid, my next trip abroad (Vietnam) was delayed but I got a 60 days extension at the immigration (based on my son). I left Thailand within the 60 days and this visa expired while I was in Vietnam. I went to the Thai Embassy in Saigon in 2021 to get new Non O but they explained me that they were not issuing anymore 1 year ME Non O and advised me to go for a 90 Non O and get 1 year extension based on my son when I will be in Thailand. The requirements a bit higher, asking a letter from school or employer (either he was still in school or working already)of my son, photos inside and outside our house with both of us, and i think 400k in the bank (can't remembe)....

I could get all of that of course but as I was over 50 years old, having sufficient funds in the bank (800k), i decided to go for the retirement extension instead as it was faster and easier. But my son was already 24 years old and there was no issue about that.

• Thanks 2

20 is the deadline and you need at least shared custody, a place for them to stay, to come with you to immigration,  pics in and around house, 400k on bank, blue book, ...

personal experience...

hope you are 50+ by then

I really do appreciate all the replies by everyone.....but yet again, so many different answers! I will just give it a go...

Will report back either way , when its all done and dusted....

• Thanks 1