Tile Resurfacing Options

StevieAus

Hi

I have a room of about 85 sq m surfaced with 60cm high gloss ceramic tiles, the tiles are all secure and the house about 13 years old.

I would like to resurface if possible with a timber look material but not ceramic tiles and preferably “ non slip”

I would appreciate any suggestions particularly something that will adhere for 

long term.

I obviously don’t want to remove the existing tiles

Thanks Stephen

2 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

A few questions:

Why don't you want to remove the existing tiles?

What are your priorities like cheap, long lasting, etc.?

You can get tiles in almost any look including timber.

Yeah, leaving the existing also means that doors will need fettling and the floors in adjoining rooms won't be at the same level, I can trip over a 1/4" step with no issues whatever.

17 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

A few questions:

Why don't you want to remove the existing tiles?

What are your priorities like cheap, long lasting, etc.?

You can get tiles in almost any look including timber.

The reason for not wanting to remove them is the work involved and the mess they would need to be jack hammered as they are set in cementcement and it's a big area

I have some of those tiles that look like timber and they are pretty good not slippery. 

I am just looking at alternatives as it is a main area it needs to be hard wearing but will not use material that's cheap and no good. 

17 hours ago, Crossy said:

Yeah, leaving the existing also means that doors will need fettling and the floors in adjoining rooms won't be at the same level, I can trip over a 1/4" step with no issues whatever.

Yes I have thought of that but we have two bathrooms and a toilet that are lower. 

I am just trying to get ideas at this stage it might end up not happening if it's not practical. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, StevieAus said:

Yes I have thought of that but we have two bathrooms and a toilet that are lower. 

I am just trying to get ideas at this stage it might end up not happening if it's not practical. 

My advice is to leave it alone, otherwise you may make a whole lot of trouble for yourself.  If the tiles are stable, its best not to mess with the heat and movement transfers that can happen if you put one layer upon another. I have just had to retile my lounge ( a large area) in  a house just 10 years old.  This was caused by thermal changes and thin tiles.  All fixed now, but as you say, a nightmare of dust and noise. 

31 minutes ago, StevieAus said:

I have some of those tiles that look like timber and they are pretty good not slippery. 

If you use large and especially long tiles, then make sure the installer uses a leveling system.

This guy explains the details - I am not sure if in this video or one of his many other videos.

On 6/6/2024 at 10:35 AM, OneMoreFarang said:

If you use large and especially long tiles, then make sure the installer uses a leveling system.

This guy explains the details - I am not sure if in this video or one of his many other videos.

Thanks for the information

On 6/6/2024 at 10:19 AM, Doctor Tom said:

My advice is to leave it alone, otherwise you may make a whole lot of trouble for yourself.  If the tiles are stable, its best not to mess with the heat and movement transfers that can happen if you put one layer upon another. I have just had to retile my lounge ( a large area) in  a house just 10 years old.  This was caused by thermal changes and thin tiles.  All fixed now, but as you say, a nightmare of dust and noise. 

Thanks for the response I think it will go onto the back burner if it does get done it will have to be with all the tiles removed.

The only reason I raised the issue is that they are high gloss,  in hindsight should have used something else all the bedrooms are parquetry.

9 minutes ago, StevieAus said:

The only reason I raised the issue is that they are high gloss

When I renovated my condominium from scratch, I used everywhere none slip tiles.

Now, living in the place since a couple of months, I confirm this was a very good idea. I will never ever slip again in my condo. 

I bought the tiles in Boonthavorn. They have a huge selection - also online.

https://www.boonthavorn.com/

On 6/6/2024 at 10:19 AM, Doctor Tom said:

I have just had to retile my lounge ( a large area) in  a house just 10 years old.  This was caused by thermal changes and thin tiles.

It seems many Thai installers like to ignore the suggested size of the gaps.

At least with my tiles that information was on the box.

image.thumb.jpeg.97af5d9dd6ede64c9c6c56b8f5d697c1.jpeg 

• Agree 1

Reading this with interest as I have related issue.

The tiles in my kitchen and (to lesser extent) office area and foyer  have a lot of dents (installed in 1997). 

Unless anyone can suggest some means of refinishing them or the like, I need to re-tile. 

It's an open floor plan and the kitchen borders on the living toom area which has parquet.  So if I tile over the existing tiles the kitchen and living areas will have difference in floilor level and I am bound to trip, stub my toes etc. On the other hand removing the old tiles, which are set in cement, would be huge and messy job to say the least.

Open to suggestions....

48 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Reading this with interest as I have related issue.

The tiles in my kitchen and (to lesser extent) office area and foyer  have a lot of dents (installed in 1997). 

Unless anyone can suggest some means of refinishing them or the like, I need to re-tile. 

It's an open floor plan and the kitchen borders on the living toom area which has parquet.  So if I tile over the existing tiles the kitchen and living areas will have difference in floilor level and I am bound to trip, stub my toes etc. On the other hand removing the old tiles, which are set in cement, would be huge and messy job to say the least.

Open to suggestions....

Maybe you should check how well the existing tiles are installed. I know you can knock on the top and that is one way to know if they are not well connected to the floor. Maybe there are also other ways to do that.

If the existing tiles are not properly installed then I think you should not put new tiles on bad installed old tiles.

And as far as I know when tiles are installed on top of existing tiles then the surface of the existing tiles must be prepared (like with a hammer, put some little holes in it so that the new tiles have something to connect. I am sure that is also "a mess". I don't know if that mess is a lot smaller compared to removing the existing tiles completely.

They video which I published above is from a guy who has hundreds of videos about tiles, and he clearly knows what he is talking about. I am sure he has also a video or two about tiles on tiles.

3 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Maybe you should check how well the existing tiles are installed. I know you can knock on the top and that is one way to know if they are not well connected to the floor. Maybe there are also other ways to do that.

If the existing tiles are not properly installed then I think you should not put new tiles on bad installed old tiles.

And as far as I know when tiles are installed on top of existing tiles then the surface of the existing tiles must be prepared (like with a hammer, put some little holes in it so that the new tiles have something to connect. I am sure that is also "a mess". I don't know if that mess is a lot smaller compared to removing the existing tiles completely.

They video which I published above is from a guy who has hundreds of videos about tiles, and he clearly knows what he is talking about. I am sure he has also a video or two about tiles on tiles.

The existing tiles are securely installed. I know I could install new tiles over them  but as mentioned do not want to as it will result in adjacent floors on same level having different heights  and be unsightly where the kitchen floor meers the living room parquet floor. 

Ideal solution would be to somehow put a new top finish on the existing tiles. No idea if possible? 

1 hour ago, Sheryl said:

The existing tiles are securely installed. I know I could install new tiles over them  but as mentioned do not want to as it will result in adjacent floors on same level having different heights  and be unsightly where the kitchen floor meers the luliving room parquet floor. 

Ideal dolution would be to somehow put a new top finish on the existing tiles. No idea if possible? 

This could be a job for a clear, or whatever colour you like, epoxy layer.

10 minutes ago, Muhendis said:

This could be a job for a clear, or whatever colour you like, epoxy layer.

Are there people/places in Thsiland who can do this? 

5 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Are there people/places in Thsiland who can do this? 

No idea but I expect there are somewhere.

First locate a supplier. They will know who is using it.

Just now, Muhendis said:

No idea but I expect there are somewhere.

First locate a supplier. They will know who is using it.

Thinking more.

Ruangsangthai near Buriram city sell the epoxy by the bucket full so a bit of creative googling etc should turn up a flooring company or two.

17 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

removing the old tiles, which are set in cement, would be huge and messy job to say the least.

It is really not that bad, generally done in a day, two at most.  I have done it and recommend it as opposed to laying new tile on top of old.

16 minutes ago, Dante99 said:
18 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

removing the old tiles, which are set in cement, would be huge and messy job to say the least.

It is really not that bad, generally done in a day, two at most.  I have done it and recommend it as opposed to laying new tile on top of old.

I think it depends a lot on the current installation. I.e. in my condo it was easy to remove the patches of "cement" which was under the existing tiles. In other areas it was all solid and more difficult to remove and more difficult to have it more or less level.

Because to be able to install the new tiles properly it helps a lot when the surface on which they are installed is more or less level. 

20 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I will look at the video but I am forming the conclusion that it's either leave them as they are or remove them which is a huge job about 80+sq metres plus take out the furniture etc

I was wondering if just removing the tiles without the underlying cement which attaches them would lessen the mess. 

21 minutes ago, StevieAus said:

I will look at the video but I am forming the conclusion that it's either leave them as they are or remove them which is a huge job about 80+sq metres plus take out the furniture etc

I was wondering if just removing the tiles without the underlying cement which attaches them would lessen the mess. 

You need a mostly level surface to install new tiles properly. And obviously the new tiles need something like cement or similar (I always forget the name for the proper tile material) between the tiles and below. It seems in Thailand nobody uses just a thin layer under the tiles. I would be surprised if you can avoid the mess and get a proper job done.

I guess if you would use laminate that could be done without much mess - if you want that material.

25 minutes ago, StevieAus said:

Yes it would.  It is one of many things you could do or not do that would reduce the quality of the job.  

Really if you can’t do it right then don’t do it.

I show the following so that you have a sample how it looks like when old tiles were removed.

This is a picture or part of my floor at the start of my renovation.

The floor in the front of the picture had parquet. After that was removed that part of the floor is relative smooth and tiles could easily be installed on that floor. The part on the right had tiles installed in a kitchen and you can clearly see the uneven surface. And the left top was a bathroom with tiles, in between was a wall.

The second picture shows basically the same location after a wall was added and not long before the new floor tiles were installed. You see that the part where you see the old kitchen tile cement in the first picture was "cleaned up" to have a relatively even surface.

I don't know how necessary all this is. I had professionals do the job and install the tiles and IMHO they did a good job, and I am happy with the installation of the tiles. I didn't have any problems with the tiles until now - but I live there only since a couple of months.

IMG_20220609_180653.thumb.jpg.f68433fceff1693012c1ac3797332121.jpg

IMG_20221104_160527.thumb.jpg.e7d520ba4217f92b2c37d818f81d91d4.jpg

5 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I show the following so that you have a sample how it looks like when old tiles were removed.

This is a picture or part of my floor at the start of my renovation.

The floor in the front of the picture had parquet. After that was removed that part of the floor is relative smooth and tiles could easily be installed on that floor. The part on the right had tiles installed in a kitchen and you can clearly see the uneven surface. And the left top was a bathroom with tiles, in between was a wall.

The second picture shows basically the same location after a wall was added and not long before the new floor tiles were installed. You see that the part where you see the old kitchen tile cement in the first picture was "cleaned up" to have a relatively even surface.

I don't know how necessary all this is. I had professionals do the job and install the tiles and IMHO they did a good job, and I am happy with the installation of the tiles. I didn't have any problems with the tiles until now - but I live there only since a couple of months.

IMG_20220609_180653.thumb.jpg.f68433fceff1693012c1ac3797332121.jpg

IMG_20221104_160527.thumb.jpg.e7d520ba4217f92b2c37d818f81d91d4.jpg

Thanks for the information much appreciated