World Exceeds Critical 1.5°C Warming Threshold for Past Year, Scientists Warn

36 minutes ago, AhFarangJa said:

Google is your friend. there are numerous videos on line of researchers being brought to task for false information, both in the U.S. and Australia. But hey, you believe what you want, I will follow the money trail, and believe what I want. That is our right......at the moment.

I do, and I do search the internet regularly.

I also do believe what I want to believe, which is not necessarily the same as everybody else.

I also look back to at least 8 years of logging the weather reports that I have been keeping for many years.

19 hours ago, Roo Island said:

I was in the Maldives not long ago. Due to rising sea levels, they are having to build a wall around the entire airport. Nothing to do with politicians except their lack of action.

You need to prove that sea level is rising more in the Maldives than in NZ then. Sea level is not and has not been a problem in my lifetime.

It's as likely to be that the airport is sinking, rather than the sea rising.

Without proof your claim is just an opinion.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, AhFarangJa said:

Google is your friend. there are numerous videos on line of researchers being brought to task for false information, both in the U.S. and Australia. But hey, you believe what you want, I will follow the money trail, and believe what I want. That is our right......at the moment.

YouTube isn't a credible source for reliable information. Quite the opposite

• Agree 1

On 6/7/2024 at 6:52 AM, impulse said:

Yeah.  They're doing a lot in the states.  Making it more difficult and expensive to manufacture there, so companies are shifting their manufacturing to the 3rd world where they care more about the environment.  Or maybe they don't.

Under the Biden administration, US manufacturing is way up.

10 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

You need to prove that sea level is rising more in the Maldives than in NZ then. Sea level is not and has not been a problem in my lifetime.

It's as likely to be that the airport is sinking, rather than the sea rising.

Without proof your claim is just an opinion.

https://sealevel.nasa.gov/faq/8/is-the-rate-of-sea-level-rise-increasing/

sea_level_3.4_mm.jpeg

• Like 1

US manufacturing on the mend; rising raw material prices pose obstacle

On 6/7/2024 at 7:36 AM, AhFarangJa said:

Looks like the pro global warming, climate change politicians in the WEF, WHO, UN paid the most to the scientists to get the figures they wanted. 

More tax, more limitations, more control.

More conspiratorial frothing.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 6/7/2024 at 4:29 AM, thaibeachlovers said:

and yet the "leaders of today" do nothing much, except try to impose more tax.

Where is the action?

There can't be significant action until there is public consensus on the issue.

As a concrete example, it's a standard Denier troll tactic to deflect discussions of new data showing climate change is real into a discussion about mitigation, at which point the troll states "climate change isn't real, so why bother with mitigation?".

• Like 1

On 6/7/2024 at 7:36 AM, AhFarangJa said:

Looks like the pro global warming, climate change politicians in the WEF, WHO, UN paid the most to the scientists to get the figures they wanted. 

More tax, more limitations, more control.

You really think that NASA satellites that report global temperature want more money?

On 6/7/2024 at 12:03 PM, AhFarangJa said:

Suit yourself, now run off and get your 24th. clot shot booster, goodbye.

How are you on the Flat Earth thing?

Were the Moon landings real?

How far down the rabbit hole do you live?

• Like 1

On 6/7/2024 at 12:56 PM, thaibeachlovers said:

I have yet to hear of any solutions from them that is affordable, acceptable and works.

Please start your own topic about Global Warming mitigation strategies. This topic is about evidence for Global Warming.

On 6/7/2024 at 1:12 PM, Roo Island said:

@thaibeachlovers is okay with taxpayers shelling out cash to pay for damage from global warming. He just wants to protect the big oil companies from any limitations on their profits.

Which is what the Deniers are really about.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I see you are still telling lies. You have no proof that I ever said that.

That's the obvious explanation for your posts.

I will point this out in the future.

2 hours ago, Danderman123 said:

Your position on Global Warming is of support for the oil companies. I will demonstrate this in the future.

A lot of climate deniers are also Trump supporters and watch Faux News

• Agree 1

As predicted by me.

Part of a post i made on Udonmap 2 years ago

However, i agree with Whistler that the change has been left far to late - the world is going to be a tough place to live in for our children. Forget 1.5 degrees Centigrade of Warming, that will happen by 2030; 2 degrees will be difficult. Just have to look at the record temperatures the last couple of years, the droughts, floods all hitting new highs - and the worlds forests are going up in smoke faster than we can plant them.

Even if we stopped burning all fossil fuels tomorrow, doesn't mean that temperatures start falling straight away. It is like an oil tanker - stop the engine and it will take miles before it stops. A lot of warming is already built in by heat in the oceans and melting ice lowering albedo.

Can we mitigate the warming? We could, but it would be neither affordable or acceptable to most people who vote. China could maybe... not possible with capitalism.  It would need draconian changes, diverting a large part of our GDP to decarbonisation - ban fossil fuels except for exceptional needs, stop consumerism, stop global tourism and much more. Because current progress is so sluggish (and getting slower), I predict that 2 degrees Centigrade of warming will be hit by 2040, and that attempted mass migration from Africa and possibly Asia will be the cause of rising famine, anarchy and wars. By 2050 genocide and selective culling will be normal, if WW3 hasn't done it already.

Democracy is doomed. Or, the world collectively takes the bull by the horns and does something this decade.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Roo Island said:

A lot of climate deniers are also Trump supporters and watch Faux News

Who is denying that climate exists?

Climate is changing, but the idea that humans can influence it by making Elon very rich or paying more tax is IMO a nonsense.

Besides, your side has yet to post any solutions that are affordable, acceptable and effective.

19 hours ago, rickudon said:

Democracy is doomed. Or, the world collectively takes the bull by the horns and does something this decade.

I agree that "democracy" is doomed, but did we ever have it to be doomed?

The idea that the world will do anything collectively is laughable. Half the planet hates the other, and billions want to live like western millionaires.

Given the complete lack of example by so called "leaders", if we are indeed in the end times, the end will arrive despite all the hot air uttered by all the governments on the planet.

20 hours ago, rickudon said:

It would need draconian changes, diverting a large part of our GDP to decarbonisation - ban fossil fuels except for exceptional needs, stop consumerism, stop global tourism and much more. Because current progress is so sluggish (and getting slower), I predict that 2 degrees Centigrade of warming will be hit by 2040,

You assume that banning fossil fuels would actually make a difference. I disagree- damage done and not to be changed.

I'd predict 2 degrees by 2030.

2 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

You assume that banning fossil fuels would actually make a difference. I disagree- damage done and not to be changed.

I'd predict 2 degrees by 2030.

Thank you for your opinion unbacked by reasoning or evidence.

Edited by placeholder
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, placeholder said:

Thank you for your opinion unbacked by reasoning or evidence.

You are welcome. I do not have to have any evidence for an opinion and my opinion is as valid as yours.

My opinion is that we are doomed. Tell me how Elon is going to save the human species. :cheesy:

Next.

Just now, thaibeachlovers said:

You are welcome. I do not have to have any evidence for an opinion and my opinion is as valid as yours.

My opinion is that we are doomed. Tell me how Elon is going to save the human species. :cheesy:

Next.

No. Your opinion is not as valid as mine or any anybody whose opinion reflects the understanding that elevated levels of greenhouse gasses are responsible for rapid climate change including global warming. 

And foolish comments like mitigating anthropogenic climate change somehow depends on Elon musk is further proof of your lack of knowledge. Even if mitigation and reversal of anthropogenic climate change and global warming were somehow dependent on EV's, Tesla is rapidly losing ground to other manufacturers.

And I noticed that after you claimed that there was no proof that sea levels were rising, and proof was provided re satellite measurements, you kept quiet. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Who is denying that climate exists?

Climate is changing, but the idea that humans can influence it by making Elon very rich or paying more tax is IMO a nonsense.

Besides, your side has yet to post any solutions that are affordable, acceptable and effective.

Yummm...deny climate exists? Wow.

Why do you think the climate is changing? Elon?:cheesy:

55 minutes ago, Danderman123 said:

Are those climate change politicians in the room with you right now?

You have been fooled by online trolls into believing a giant conspiracy theory. Most scientists support the Global Warming hypothesis. The few that don't are often funded by the oil industry.

Or are Trump supporters and fall for the misinformation on social media or dodgy right wing media outlets

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Are you "entitled to your opinion"?

Not really - without reason or evidence it isn't an opinion.

There are a few terms that describe an opinion without reason or evidence:

• Assertion: This is a simple statement that is presented as true, but without any justification.
  • Prejudice: This is a preconceived opinion about something that is not based on reason or experience. It's often negative.
  • Belief without reason: This term emphasizes the lack of justification for the opinion.
  • Hunch: This is a feeling or intuition that something is true, but it's not based on any solid evidence.

however climate deniers are slightly different

Denialism:  often used in a strong sense, referring to the rejection of well-established facts and scientific consensus. It implies a deliberate attempt to disregard evidence, often for emotional or ideological reasons. For example, climate change denialism refers to the rejection of the overwhelming scientific evidence that human activity is causing global warming.

Also there is cognitive bias: This is a term that encompasses various mental shortcuts that can lead to biased thinking. Some cognitive biases can make people resistant to new evidence, especially if it challenges their existing beliefs.

For instance, confirmation bias describes  seeking out information that confirms what they already believe and disregarding information that contradicts it.

If someone is simply resistant to new information due to mental shortcuts, "cognitive bias" might be more fitting. But if they are actively rejecting well-established facts, "denialism" is the stronger term.

Unfortunately along with the evidence most climate deniers are not familiar with these terms because they are unfamiliar with critical thinking methodology

Edited by kwilco
  • Like 1