Chinese tourist missing in Thailand, 25 million baht ransom

webfact

image.jpeg

A Chinese tourist has gone missing while vacationing in Thailand, with her father receiving a ransom demand of 25 million baht for her release.

Police at Phra Khanong Police Station were alerted by a Thai-Chinese interpreter named Moo, who works with the national cycling team coach, about the missing Chinese woman, 27 year old Xinlei Lu.

Lu, who arrived in Thailand with a group of over 10 friends on June 5, initially stayed at the Evergreen Place Siam Hotel in Phaya Thai, room 1016. Later, she moved to The Quarter Onnut Hotel, room 315, on Sukhumvit 58. Her father reported that around 6pm yesterday, he received a WeChat call from a man demanding 5 million yuan (approximately 25 million baht) to secure his daughter’s return to Shanghai.

Phra Khanong Police’s investigative unit checked The Quarter Onnut Hotel, where staff confirmed that Lu had checked in and left the hotel around 3.11pm yesterday, June 7. CCTV footage showed her walking out alone.

Moo provided additional information from Lu’s father, indicating that a flight to Singapore, TR 617, was booked for her at 8.25pm. However, checks with the Immigration Bureau and the Tourism Authority of Thailand revealed no records of her leaving the country, reported KhaoSod.

Police stated that they are thoroughly investigating this case and coordinating with all relevant authorities to ensure Lu’s safety.

In related news, the search for a 41 year old Thai man continues 20 days after he went missing during a trip to the Srinakarin Dam. The former university lecturer was last seen on May 19 during a gathering with 30 friends. Despite extensive efforts from authorities and local villagers, there has been no sign of him.

In other news, a 32 year old Thai woman, who mysteriously vanished in Switzerland nearly a month ago, has been found safe and well, the Thai embassy in Bern confirmed. The woman, who travelled to Switzerland on a Swedish passport with her American boyfriend in early April, had not been in contact with her family since April 26.

by Puntid Tantivangphaisal

Photo courtesy of KhaoSod

Full story: The Thaiger 2024-06-08

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Sad 3

28 minutes ago, webfact said:

, initially stayed at the Evergreen Place Siam Hotel in Phaya Thai, room 1016. Later, she moved to The Quarter Onnut Hotel, room 315, on Sukhumvit 58

Pretty cheap stays for that kind of ransom

• Like 1
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, webfact said:

ransom demand of 25 million baht for her release.

2 hours ago, Gottfrid said:

Sure, it can be real and true. However, it sound more like a daughters way to skim some of daddy´s money for a prolonged stay.

For 25 years, I don't think so'

• Confused 4
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Gottfrid said:

Sure, it can be real and true. However, it sound more like a daughters way to skim some of daddy´s money for a prolonged stay.

Just what I was thinking... daughters gone rogue

• Agree 2

3 hours ago, Celsius said:

Pretty cheap stays for that kind of ransom

Not sure what you mean but I could live in Thailand on 25million baht for at least 10yrs if not 20.

• Agree 1

9 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

Not sure what you mean but I could live in Thailand on 25million baht for at least 10yrs if not 20.

Wow! I lived with a wife and 2 children in Thailand,  very comfortably on just over a million baht a year. 3 big bikes, a new vehicle every 5 years. Paid private school fees, short break holidays most months and a very good social life. You must either waste a lot of money or not know what your talking about. A lot of Thai's live on 120,000 ~ 180,000baht a year.

2 minutes ago, BritScot said:

You must either waste a lot of money or not know what your talking about. A lot of Thai's live on 120,000 ~ 180,000baht a year.

I was being hypothetical how could you not understand that, she is only 27 so I was putting myself in her place. So you lived in Thailand what happened there ?

3 hours ago, Gottfrid said:

With that amount of cash it would be a prolonged stay of decades, still such cases aren't unknown.

• Agree 2

2 hours ago, Tropicalevo said:

She was travelling with friends.

Not everyone has money.

Even if they do, they do not have to stay in 5* rip-offs.

I usually stay in small 'comfy' places close to where I want to be.

What... Close to the knock shops? 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

I was being hypothetical how could you not understand that, she is only 27 so I was putting myself in her place. So you lived in Thailand what happened there ?

Yes I/we lived in Thailand.  From 2002 ~ 2005 lived 50% Kow Tow and UK (scuba diving instructor), 2005 ~ 2007 (teacher Bkk), left due to coup and immigration and attitude change towards foreign teachers and replacement with Philippine teachers 2010 ~ 2019 built house and retired left due to immigration changes 400k/800k on principle plus didn't like living under a dictatorship/coup. Also my children's education and more opportunities for them in the uk. Yes still have a house in Thailand. Will we move back full time in the future "NO!" I will not pay tax on my income I don't earn in Thailand and already paid tax on plus I don't like living on a knife edge not knowing what new law will be introduced next week. 180 days a year maybe! Hope that helps.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2
  • Haha 1

whoever is asking for the cash has to have a trail via sim...IP..bank  etc..

tell them ok then set up the ambush!

someone has to pick up the cash via in person or digital footprint.......throw and airtag in the cash bag as well 🙂

2 hours ago, BritScot said:

Yes I/we lived in Thailand.  From 2002 ~ 2005 lived 50% Kow Tow and UK (scuba diving instructor), 2005 ~ 2007 (teacher Bkk), left due to coup and immigration and attitude change towards foreign teachers and replacement with Philippine teachers 2010 ~ 2019 built house and retired left due to immigration changes 400k/800k on principle plus didn't like living under a dictatorship/coup. Also my children's education and more opportunities for them in the uk. Yes still have a house in Thailand. Will we move back full time in the future "NO!" I will not pay tax on my income I don't earn in Thailand and already paid tax on plus I don't like living on a knife edge not knowing what new law will be introduced next week. 180 days a year maybe! Hope that helps.

So you had no rent to pay, and not enough money to put in a bank to stay, and I can live on 35k a month very well including giving my misses an 'allowance', and I have enough in the bank even to self fund medical costs, and I don't need to work, I never feel I'm living on a knife edge, the coup was no problem for us....rather enjoyed it actually. but if I was 27 and had rent to pay I'd want to have a lot of fun which can cost a lot of money.

7 hours ago, webfact said:

Police at Phra Khanong Police Station were alerted by a Thai-Chinese interpreter named Moo, who works with the national cycling team coach, about the missing Chinese woman, 27 year old Xinlei Lu.

The T.A.T. will probably put up 24 million of that for lost tourism (just add another 50 baht to the proposed tourist tax)

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, BritScot said:

Wow! I lived with a wife and 2 children in Thailand,  very comfortably on just over a million baht a year. 3 big bikes, a new vehicle every 5 years. Paid private school fees, short break holidays most months and a very good social life. You must either waste a lot of money or not know what your talking about. A lot of Thai's live on 120,000 ~ 180,000baht a year.

Same same like me ! I live well on 150,000 baht a year .

000 baht a year.

22 hours ago, Gottfrid said:

19 hours ago, hotchilli said:

Just what I was thinking... daughters gone rogue

Both wrong

The girl was being scammed for 17 million yen and was told to change her SIM card and change hotels.

The father was also being scammed for the 5 million yuan.

It's all in the BP.

• Thumbs Up 2

20 hours ago, BritScot said:

A lot of Thai's live on 120,000 ~ 180,000baht a year.... I'll bet a FEW Farangs Do As well.....

• Agree 1