My wife likes pondering

It's more of a funny story between you and your wife than a story that's remotely funny to anyone else in any way.

But it's nice that you're in love.

At BKK, Airport yesterday, there was a very long line for Crispy Creme Donuts.

I put it down to the flat box they come in; there's always room for it in the overhead luggage compartments. It's a loophole free add-on to the carry-on allowance, like fake duty-free is.

Edited by Prubangboy

7 minutes ago, Prubangboy said:

At BKK, Airport yesterday, there was a very long line for Crispy Creme Donuts.

I put it down to the flat box they come in; there's always room for it in the overhead luggage compartments. It's loophole free add-on to carry-on. 

I never understood the whole Krispy Kreme donut phenomenon. I remember when I saw the first branch open in Paragon in 2010 and all the people lining up. I think it was a soft opening in fact and people were only allowed to purchase a limited quantity. I thought "wait what is this?" then I thought "no, they are lining up like that for foonkin donuts?". I was at a loss for words. I was sure it was just a passing phase (as with many things that are popular for only the first minute in the hub of trendy). Sadly, I was wrong though: 

IMG_4061.jpeg.1d92485cb82a14732e103a10d51caf24.jpeg

Also, don't think I would be pleased at all if someone showed up at my door from the airport wielding a box of fried dough drowned in sugar. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, ChumpChange said:

I never understood the whole Krispy Kreme donut phenomenon.

We live in a very brand-obsessed place. It's why I wear a polo shirt with a little alligator on it. It's for them, not for me.

I pay double for the polo shirt so that they can feel better interacting with me. I def notice an uptick in cheeriness.

At least 4 times, they have said: "Special edition, 5000 baht". I save that one for special occasions.

Just now, Prubangboy said:

We live in a very brand-obsessed place. It's why I wear a polo shirt with a little alligator on it. It's for them, not for me.

I pay double for the polo shirt so that they can feel better interacting with me. I def notice an uptick in cheeriness.

At least 4 times, they have said: "Special edition, 5000 baht". I save that one for special occasions.

It is brand-obsessed, but so is most of Asia. That was another thing that struck me when I first came to Thailand. People didn't seem to mind showing off all their branded stuff. In fact, they often pay a lot of money to act as a walking advertisement for many of these meaningless brands. But in the West this behavior would stick out as being cliched and pretentious. Where I came from the people with money were often the worst dressed to avoid drawing attention. So I was certainly not used to the phenomenon in Asia. Being low key and subtle was always my approach. Not in the hub of bling though. I definitely don't want any extra attention. So you'll find me only in 100 Baht T-shirts now. 

Guess that poser who just had his US$170K watch swiped off his wrist in Frankfurt learned one lesson the hard way about how needlessly trying to show off and get attention can also have its downsides. 

I live in Nimman, Chiang Mai. I am also being judged and appraised by swarms of Chinese and Korean people living here. I def notice a diff than if I'm wearing a Uniqlo back tee shirt.

Might be a good idea for a thread: Have you dressed up or down since moving to Thailand?

Next up for me: more long pants-wearing.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Celsius said:

Then we went past Mister Donuts and she exclaims with enthusiasm... look.... it's Pon De Ring.

I came back with a bunch of sugary stuff pondering myself why I bought this junk.

How would you expect anything else from doughnuts?

• Haha 2

23 minutes ago, Prubangboy said:

I live in Nimman, Chiang Mai. I am also being judged and appraised by swarms of Chinese and Korean people living here. I def notice a diff than if I'm wearing a Uniqlo back tee shirt.

Might be a good idea for a thread: Have you dressed up or down since moving to Thailand?

Next up for me: more long pants-wearing.

I used to hang out up there well before the regional Asian invasion. It was quaint. Some nice quiet restaurants. Can't imagine what it's like now.

I dress however I feel comfortable. That's the beauty of not having to care what anyone thinks.

I was recently in Japan, picked up a couple of pairs of high quality long pants at Uniqlo at 50% off sale. ¥2,000 a pair. Would have cost ฿2000 a pair for the same pants in Thailand. 

• Haha 1