New Passport, Same Address. Do I need to immediately report the Passport to immigration?

New Passport, but I'm staying at the same 1 year condo rental. Do I need to report the new passport to immigration immediately or should I wait for 90 day reporting?

With a new passport, I cannot do online reporting and must go to immigration to inform them during 90 day reporting. Can I wait to do it then or does it need to be immediately reported?

I have entered on a new passport before , all I had to do was show my old passport . Then I went to Immigration when I got around to it and they transferred everything into my new passport , no real issues .

• Thumbs Up 2

11 minutes ago, Dawesy said:

I have entered on a new passport before , all I had to do was show my old passport . Then I went to Immigration when I got around to it and they transferred everything into my new passport , no real issues .

except in reality, the old passport is no longer a valid official document.  With IO's the way some are here, it is easy enough to get the stamps transferred and whatever else is needed for all to be valid.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

OP, note that while your old passport is cancelled any relevant stamps etc remain Valid.

You can exit and reenter Thailand with both passports. 

You could leave transfer till your 90 day report window is open and do the TM47 and transfer of stamps same visit.  

https://aseannow.com/applications/core/interface/file/attachment.php?id=939160&key=2e63bc0d8abee18369df31b777516cb4 

Note to anyone that has extension based on retirement and attending CW for transfer of stamps there is list of required docs is on page 2 of link above.

Added requirement not listed is need to provide photocopies of bankbook pages and update..

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

18 hours ago, Travello01 said:

New Passport, but I'm staying at the same 1 year condo rental. Do I need to report the new passport to immigration immediately or should I wait for 90 day reporting?

With a new passport, I cannot do online reporting and must go to immigration to inform them during 90 day reporting. Can I wait to do it then or does it need to be immediately reported?

I would do it immediately and get visa stamp and extension of stay moved to the new passport. Also update bank accounts and driving license – if it contains your passport number – and any other place where your passport number is used for identification.

Some immigration offices require a new TM30-registration after entry from abroad, probably also when your passport ID has changed from the old TM30 registration.

Your next 90-days address report might also need to be done in person, but you can ask your immigration office when transferring visa-stamps, the various offices have slightly different rules.

• Agree 1

I would strongly advise you do and get the visa 'moved' into the new PP. I was advised to do it with my next extension a couple of months later and got a 60 day 'overstay' fine (two years ago).

Of course it depends on who you get on the day and which office you deal with, but don't give them an excuse do it ASAP.

Edited by George FmplesdaCosteedback
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, George FmplesdaCosteedback said:

I would strongly advise you do and get the visa 'moved' into the new PP. I was advised to do it with my next extension a couple of months later and got a 60 day 'overstay' fine (two years ago).

Of course it depends on who you get on the day and which office you deal with, but don't give them an excuse do it ASAP.

Same situation,  3 years ago at CW: no problem,  no fine 

6 hours ago, George FmplesdaCosteedback said:

I would strongly advise you do and get the visa 'moved' into the new PP. I was advised to do it with my next extension a couple of months later and got a 60 day 'overstay' fine (two years ago

Something more to your overstay issue. This is incorrect. 

Perhaps you did not present both passports at airport after travel and given incorrect stamp.

No urgency to transfer stamps. 

Note: visas are not transfered. Notation of information is noted in new pp. 

My 10 year PP was received  several days AFTER my EMERGENCY PP was used to renew my retirement extension. I immediately ( next day ) went to immigration and had my retirement stamps transfered to 10 YEAR PP as I was leaving the country for a 10 day trip to USA. I carried all 3 passports when I exited and reentered ( re-entry permit active ) and showed only my NEW passport to enter Thailand at the air port with. NO problems at all.

This is why I recommend the  IMMEDIATE stamps transfer and NEW PP information supplied to immigration.

When I went to do a my next 90 day report, I was refused until I did a new TM-30 because I had exited and reentered the country. Did the TM-30 and a few minutes later the 90 day.

All good with no fines.

19 minutes ago, edwardflory said:

This is why I recommend the  IMMEDIATE stamps transfer and NEW PP information supplied to immigration.

You only need to transfer stamps etc if have dealings with immigration. You can postpone the transfer till it's required. 

17 hours ago, edwardflory said:

FOOD FOR THOUGHT

THINK, does your new PP NUMBER match with the information on your extension of stay PERMISSION?  If not in theory you COULD be here illegally.

I would think since you entered on a ""new"' passport, the old passport is invalid - unless you have dual citizenship AND dual passports. The OLD PP is invalid if the corner is clipped - if so transfer the extension stamps to new PP - usually no cost at immigration to transfer and update PP and extension information.

ADDL EDIT

Some offices require a NEW TM-30, EVEN if returning to SAME address IF you leave the country.

what a load of rubbish about being here illegally

• Agree 1

I got a new passport last month in my embassy last month (the old passport was full). I was on 1 year extension + multi re-entry. I didn't go to immigration but exited Thailand few days later. At airport immigration, with both passport, they stamped the last entry stamp to the new passport (I entered in bkk and exited in Phuket) and stamped that the extension was on the old passport. They told me to make sure I carry my old passport when I re-enter next time.

I re-enter few days later without problem. They only wrote on the new entry stamp that the extension was on the old passport. I have actually done that many time as I am travelling a lot.

11 minutes ago, jphasia said:

They told me to make sure I carry my old passport when I re-enter next time.

I re-enter few days later without problem.

That's all fine however you will need immigration to transfer visa information etc at some point.

You could even do it at same time as next extension or 90 day report etc. 

I posted link to form for transfer earlier in thread. 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I flew out of the country with both passports. An employee of Thai immigration pulled me to the side and transferred my visa stamp onto my new passport.

-Painless process, it may have taken 15-20 minutes and I didn't need paperwork.

Upon re-entry, I had scheduled an appointment with Elite Visa staff to transfer my Elite Visa 5 year sticker. She walked me through immigration and they stamped a new 1-year visa onto the new passport.

-Painless process, 15-20 minutes again. Perhaps 20-25 minutes from my gate to the taxi area.

-They required my Elite Visa card (in my case a photocopy, front and back) OR the original letter of acceptance that you receive upon gaining membership.

For now, I am uncertain if I needed to redo my TM-30. I can see both arguments, yes and no, as I have gone through major official channels.

I chose to not redo it and I'll update you on whether or not it is the correct thing to do or not after I do my 90 day notification, which I have to go to immigration for on the first attempt anyway.

Note: I attempted to do a 90 day notification on my new passport prior to leaving the country and was rejected with a notice that said I had to go to immigration on a new passport for the first 90 day.

I left the country prior to being in the country for 90 days, so there is no "overstay" on the 90 day reporting.

We will see. Thanks to everyone for the advice. I appreciate it and will update you with what I learn.

Edited by Travello01