European Far-Right Surge: A Warning for Biden and a Potential Boost for Trump

Social Media

image.png.1cc8a486c58e17ac266554b579b1b6c3.png

In June 2016, Britain voted to leave the European Union, an event that foreshadowed Donald Trump's unexpected election win a few months later. Fast forward to June 2024, and far-right candidates, sharing Trump’s populist nationalism, anti-immigrant stance, and disdain for globalist institutions, have achieved significant gains in European Union elections. This raises the question: could similar political dynamics benefit Trump in the upcoming US elections?

While American voters do not directly follow foreign elections, and the US presidential system differs significantly from European parliamentary elections, there are notable parallels. Trump's victory in 2016 was partly due to the weaknesses of Hillary Clinton's campaign, but it also reflected broader populist sentiments similar to those driving the Brexit vote. Now, President Joe Biden faces a comparable challenge. The European elections demonstrated the efficacy of a message that resonates with public anger over migration, economic pain, and the perceived personal costs of climate change policies. Trump is leveraging these themes in critical battleground states.

Lessons from Europe: Incumbents and Economic Discontent

One key takeaway from the European elections is that incumbents are particularly vulnerable in times of economic hardship. As Biden heads to the G7 summit in Italy, he joins a group of politically weakened Western leaders. French President Emmanuel Macron and German Chancellor Olaf Scholz have faced setbacks from far-right parties reminiscent of Europe's darker history. Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau's low approval ratings suggest he might not lead his party into the next election. British Prime Minister Rishi Sunak is bracing for a significant defeat in the upcoming general election. Interestingly, Italy's right-wing Prime Minister Giorgia Meloni, whose party recently saw significant victories, appears to be one of the more secure leaders.

However, Biden's situation is somewhat unique. Unlike a traditional race between an insurgent outsider and an unpopular incumbent, Trump carries his own set of challenges. He has a controversial record as a former president, marked by two impeachments and various legal troubles. Despite this, his populist nationalism continues to find an audience.

Contrasting Trends and Potential Counterbalances

Populist nationalism is not universally ascendant. Biden's Democratic Party had a surprisingly strong performance in the 2022 midterm elections, countering the "Make America Great Again" narrative. The potential return of Britain's Labour Party next month and Poland’s recent rejection of populist rule also suggest that right-wing dominance is not inevitable.

In France, Macron's response to the far-right National Rally’s gains was bold: he dissolved Parliament and called for new elections. The National Rally, evolved from the ultra-right-wing National Front, has never won the presidency, but its leader, Marine Le Pen, has moderated some policies to appeal to a broader electorate. Macron is betting that higher voter turnout in legislative elections might reverse the far-right trend. If the National Rally wins, Macron may have to appoint the young far-right leader Jordan Bardella as prime minister, potentially creating a disastrous government that could undermine Le Pen's future presidential ambitions.

Macron's gamble is rooted in his belief in the French people's ability to make the right choice for their future. He framed his decision as an act of trust in democracy, similar to Biden's plea to American voters to protect their democracy. Biden reiterated this message during the 80th anniversary of the D-Day landings in Normandy, standing beside Macron.

Implications for the US Election

The White House will closely monitor the results of the French elections on July 7, viewing them as a potential indicator for the US political climate. The European far-right surge underscores the volatility and unpredictability of current political dynamics. Biden's ability to counter Trump's populist messaging and address voter concerns about the economy, immigration, and climate change will be crucial in the months leading up to the US presidential election.

Credit: CNN 2024-06-12

news-logo-btm.jpg

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

The pendulum swung too far, did too much damage, and now it's swinging back.

Elected officials all over the West, ignore that at your professional peril.  Safer to be an unelected deep stater.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

If far right means, a last push of local people being fed up with the socialstic imports of no education muslim into european countries that cause an increase in rapes, mobbings, robbings, killings... then YES

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

On 6/12/2024 at 7:42 AM, Hanaguma said:

In what ways are these populist parties 'far right'? They aren't seeking to disband any government social programmes, end universal health care, cut funding to universities, restrict pensions, or any other right wing positions. Is it just their collective stance on illegal migrants? Pretty weak sauce if that is so.

It all so mystifying and "far-right". Not surprisingly the article fails to mention much of anything economic. They certainly didn't go near terms like inflation, recession, stagnation, interest rates, employment or de-industrialization.

In addition there is also no mention of the either the Gaza or Ukraine conflicts.  Discontent is rising among voters as billions are siphoned from government coffers and western military's empty their stockpiles to aid Ukraine with no end in sight.

Many things they don't want to talk about :jap:

Edited by expat_4_life
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Polls this far out from the election mean zero, but you know that, don't you?

The only poll that matters is the last one.

• Like 1

On 6/12/2024 at 8:24 AM, JonnyF said:

Oh look, the mythical "far right" have risen again 😄.

Funny how that happens every time the citizens reject incompetent leftists. Uncanny in fact. 

The far right narrative is being pushed again as evil by  the far left in control of the media!

Who has been violently  protesting  in the streets  lately?

Chaos Ensues by protesting in the day and using violence at nite.A video shows a peaceful protest & march but as nite sets in evil lurks!

Edited by riclag
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, riclag said:

The far right narrative is being pushed again as evil by  the far left in control of the media!

i believe the proper terms are far right and extreme left. :)

22 minutes ago, stoner said:

i believe the proper terms are far right and extreme left. 🙂

I enjoy your comments as opposed to the far left’s comments on here that I scroll pass without even looking!

👀

You try to be moderate at times and I respect that.I place kind emoji’s to many of your comments 

Edited by riclag

8 Far Left extremest were arrested and federally charged during a Congressional Baseball game!

In 2017 a sick leftist shot up 

republicans at this event!

https://nypost.com/2022/07/28/climate-protesters-arrested-outside-of-congressional-baseball-game-in-d-c/

https://nypost.com/2018/06/12/steve-scalise-to-release-inspirational-memoir-after-baseball-field-shooting/

14 minutes ago, riclag said:

I enjoy your comments as opposed to the far left’s comments on here that I scroll pass without even looking!

👀

You try to be moderate at times and I respect that.I place kind emoji’s to many of your comments 

so much division and polarity now in all aspects of life really. quite sad. 

i could try to make a comment reflecting all of this but will just be jumped on with gotcha questions and regurgitated talking points. a lot of these issues are extremely complex and require a better approach than currently being used.

i was reading a newsweek article about trump today that was fact checking some things. anyways while reading the comments i saw the same distinct pattern of commenting from both sides that i see on here. so many of the same talking points and name calling.

i will now post a link that totally destroys your link. 

• Agree 1

On 6/12/2024 at 7:42 AM, Hanaguma said:

In what ways are these populist parties 'far right'? They aren't seeking to disband any government social programmes, end universal health care, cut funding to universities, restrict pensions, or any other right wing positions. Is it just their collective stance on illegal migrants? Pretty weak sauce if that is so.

It's interesting that the European 'Right' is pretty closely aligned with US Democrats in the positions mentioned above.  They really only differ in their views on immigration.  The US right wing, on the other hand, fits the description above perfectly!