Visa run from Bangkok: do and don't

I suggest go with a company/agent.

It's a long time ago that I did that, so I don't have up to date information.

But at that time they knew every day where to go on that day and where not.

Obviously you can go alone, but it's not really cheaper. And it's so much more convenient if someone else manages possible hassle for you.

• Like 2

Take the train to Aranya for $10. Walk across the border. Have a coffee. Walk back across and take the train back.

The train arrives at 11:30 and leaves again at like 1:05.

Make sure you dress appropriately

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Yagoda said:

Take the train to Aranya for $10. Walk across the border. Have a coffee. Walk back across and take the train back.

Thanks, I used the train one time - 10 years ago - to come back from Aranyaprathet. But in 2024, it seems you need to pass one night in Cambodia.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Yagoda said:

Take the train back if you're allowed back in, that is.

The Poi Pet / Aranyaprathet border really is a bad idea for any border runner with some history. And even someone who hasn't spent a lot of time in Thailand yet might run into trouble trying to go back on the same day there.

@anotherfarangishere didn't say what kind of visa he has, if any.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, problemfarang said:

i would go to savanakhet from mukdahan.

its a nice and fun jurney too. 

also can enjoy the area too.

Interesting, thank you. I don't know the area at all. Do you've some recent experience to share?

How do you go to Mukdahan from Bangkok? Regular bus? I don't want to use minivan.

10 minutes ago, Caldera said:

The Poi Pet / Aranyaprathet border really is a bad idea for any border runner with some history. And even someone who hasn't spent a lot of time in Thailand yet might run into trouble trying to go back on the same day there.

Tourist Visa (e-visa) + 30 days extension.

3 minutes ago, anotherfarangishere said:

Tourist Visa (e-visa) + 30 days extension.

So your plan is to do border bounce and obtain a visa exempt 30 day stamp. 

You stated in couple of replies...

"I don't want to use minivan." 

That would have helped in the OP.

Fly Bangkok to Udon Thani and short run to friendship bridge. 

• Agree 1

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

So your plan is to do border bounce and obtain a visa exempt 30 day stamp. 

You stated in couple of replies...

"I don't want to use minivan." 

That would have helped in the OP.

Fly Bangkok to Udon Thani and short run to friendship bridge. 

Yes, I should have mentioned "no minivan", my mistake, sorry..

I could even take a night train to Nong Khai and walk to the border, I have done this several times in the past. It's ok these days, no problem at all, just to pay for the Lao Visa in $? No need to stay one night in Laos?

Did someone has a recent experience?

One more thing: do you think the new 60 days extension - when it will be effective, I know right now it's always 30 days - will also be valid for visas run by land or limited to airports?

Edited by anotherfarangishere

45 minutes ago, Tod Daniels said:

Just curious when you last did this bargain basement, I'll bounce myself run to Aranyaprathet/Poipet?
I usually get a couple messages a week from people stuck on the Cambo side who got denied entry comin' back in at that border. AND they hadn't used their two entries a year, by land, OR had extensive entry/stay histories

Sucks to be them I reckon. Everyone is different.

Go to Siem Reap then, hang out 

43 minutes ago, anotherfarangishere said:

Thanks, I used the train one time - 10 years ago - to come back from Aranyaprathet. But in 2024, it seems you need to pass one night in Cambodia.

42 minutes ago, Caldera said:

41 minutes ago, Tod Daniels said:

I tell you that Aranyaprathet/ Poipet border was bad BEFORE the countries closed during covid and since that border re-opened it's only gotten worse. 

It's so bad even border run companies that lug foreigners to the border every day will not use that crossing.

Usually what happens is you stamp out of Cambodia, go to the thai stamp in, get denied entry, get the denial of entry based on no visible means of support (really the only reason they can deny you) ไม่มีปัจจัยในการยังชีพตามสมควร is the reason they put on the stamp.
BUT
As soon as you get back to the Cambo side (where they cancel your exit stamp and let you back in) you're approached by a couple guys who say for xxxx baht they can get you in TOMORROW morning when the border opens (most people report 300USD as the price asked)

It's just plain and simple a bad crossing and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

Pay a service that runs to the border from bangkok to get you to the border, get you out and back in, and bring you back. There are 4 or 5 that make that run. 

Go to Siem Reap and stay for three days, hang out, smoke weed, go to the Temples and head back. Thousands of folks go through there every day. If your papers are in order they will ignore you.

But, for border bouncers who would be in the slightest fashion suspicious:. Take a plane.

• Agree 1

14 minutes ago, anotherfarangishere said:

Yes, I should have mentioned "no minivan", my mistake, sorry..

I could even take a night train to Nong Khai and walk to the border, I have done this several times in the past. It's ok these days, no problem at all, just to pay for the Lao Visa in $? No need to stay one night in Laos?

Did someone has a recent experience?

One more thing: do you think the new 60 days extension - when it will be effective, I know right now it's always 30 days - will also be valid for visas run by land or limited to airports?

That no mini van sure throws a wrench in the gears 😕

Sure take the train to Nong Khai, stamp out of thailand, buy the VOA for Lao, take the bus across the bridge, stamp in, stamp out, take the bus back and stamp back into thailand.

There is no amount of time you have to be out of the country only that you can only get TWO free 30 day visa exempt entries by land in a calendar year (Jan 1 - Dec 31) so as long as you haven't burned your two land entries this year you're good

As far as the 30 day visa exempt switching to 60 days the last update from the Thai Public Relations Dept said that it was "expected" to take place at the end of June or the beginning of July image.png.eb08ea0009fd32baf61cb40420206aa2.png

Edited by Tod Daniels

48 minutes ago, anotherfarangishere said:

Interesting, thank you. I don't know the area at all. Do you've some recent experience to share?

How do you go to Mukdahan from Bangkok? Regular bus? I don't want to use minivan.

there is NO fast way to Mukdahan (which is like Nakhon Nowhere Thailand 😮 ) It's the province across from Savannakhet Lao, and people go to that border who live up there, NOT from bangkok as there's no train, and there's no fast way there..

Take a regular bus to Nong Khai (which is the same hours to get to as Mukdahan) Like the company Nakhon Chai Air. They have really NICE buses and good pricing too 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

16 minutes ago, Tod Daniels said:

wanna answer when you bounced last or just leave it at that?

I dont bounce sport, I have a Cambodian long term visa and since January I have one out to Thailand and three in via that crossing. I have yet to see a problem anywhere. Ive crossed with some dodgy barang  characters too doing reverse Visa runs. I have several mates who bounce in and out twice a year.

Im probably going to run ito Thailand this weekend via that border since Ill only be i Bangkok for a week. That way come November I can get 90 days and party in Bangkok for Christmas.

Its how you look, act and conduct yourself too.

Edited by Yagoda

11 minutes ago, Tod Daniels said:

There is no amount of time you have to be out of the country only that you can only get TWO free 30 day visa exempt entries by land in a calendar year (Jan 1 - Dec 31) so as long as you haven't burned your two land entries this year you're good
image.png.eb08ea0009fd32baf61cb40420206aa2.png

No, I came first time to Thailand in March by plane with an e-visa.

I've already bought a plane ticket to Da Nang but I was thinking ignore it for a visa run. But it could be better to use it and stay few days in Vietnam until the 60 days exemption is effective.

My goal is to stay in Thailand until October 8. So, if I stay in Da Nang until July 10 and get 60 days visa exemption when coming back to Thailand + 30 days extension, it should be perfect, no need for a visa run.

If I get only 30 days, I should do a visa run.

Anyway, thanks for your help, I appreciate it.

19 minutes ago, Tod Daniels said:

there is NO fast way to Mukdahan (which is like Nakhon Nowhere Thailand 😮 ) It's the province across from Savannakhet Lao, and people go to that border who live up there, NOT from bangkok as there's no train, and there's no fast way there..

Take a regular bus to Nong Khai (which is the same hours to get to as Mukdahan) Like the company Nakhon Chai Air. They have really NICE buses and good pricing too 

Seems I should take a bus from Khon Kaen...?

1 minute ago, anotherfarangishere said:

Seems I should take a bus from Khon Kaen...?

Just go to Nong Khai and use the main border with Lao up there at the friendship bridge

29 minutes ago, Yagoda said:

I dont bounce sport, I have a Cambodian long term visa and since January I have one out to Thailand and three in via that crossing.

Ahhh there we go, you are "reverse bouncing" and would NEVER see a problem coming from that way, until you hit your two land entries per year (if you're from a country that is limited like that) and get told you can't enter by land but have to fly

It's the people who live IN thailand that have the issue bouncing out back to continue staying in thailand at that border 😛 

13 hours ago, Yagoda said:

This is literally the WORST crossing in Thailand for being denied return - bad-stamp in passport and in the immigration-database (creates problems later), then asked for a massive bribe "workaround."

10 hours ago, anotherfarangishere said:

I've already bought a plane ticket to Da Nang but I was thinking ignore it for a visa run. But it could be better to use it and stay few days in Vietnam until the 60 days exemption is effective.

Staying out awhile, would allow returning by-air without risk of being denied-entry, if you do not have a longer-ish stay history in Thailand in recent years.   But, I have not seen a firm-date on when the 60-day exemption will happen. 

Fly-Ride to any border except Aranyaprathet will work. Alternatively, a 3-across seating 1st-Class (wide seats) bus overnight from Bangkok to Nong Khai, if you don't like vans. 

Edited by Rob Browder

20 hours ago, anotherfarangishere said:

I have a lot experience with this border. They are super friendly and nice. Mukdahan is a great Esan city. Savanakhet is also nice laos city. You can reach with bus or minibuses almost everywhere. 

You will do a visa run so you dont need to go deep into savanakhet. 

Mukdahan there are lot of places for.food and listen to music and so on. 

You can go by bus. It takes 6 hours by car. And there are buses take you directly yo border and even in savanakhet. Its very cheap. Buses from bangkok to savanakhet. 

31 minutes ago, problemfarang said:

I have a lot experience with this border. They are super friendly and nice. Mukdahan is a great Esan city. Savanakhet is also nice laos city. You can reach with bus or minibuses almost everywhere. 

You will do a visa run so you dont need to go deep into savanakhet. 

Mukdahan there are lot of places for.food and listen to music and so on. 

You can go by bus. It takes 6 hours by car. And there are buses take you directly yo border and even in savanakhet. Its very cheap. Buses from bangkok to savanakhet. 

Thank you, it's noted. But still more complicated than a night train Bangkok/Nong Khai.

If the 60 days exemption comes at the end of June or beginning of July I should avoid the visa run.

9 hours ago, Rob Browder said:

This is literally the WORST crossing in Thailand for being denied return - bad-stamp in passport and in the immigration-database (creates problems later), then asked for a massive bribe "workaround."

Staying out awhile, would allow returning by-air without risk of being denied-entry, if you do not have a longer-ish stay history in Thailand in recent years.   But, I have not seen a firm-date on when the 60-day exemption will happen. 

Fly-Ride to any border except Aranyaprathet will work. Alternatively, a 3-across seating 1st-Class (wide seats) bus overnight from Bangkok to Nong Khai, if you don't like vans. 

Thanks for your comment. For Nong Khai, I prefer train to bus.

• Like 1