Opening Thai bank account using an agent.

1 hour ago, Mike Lister said:

Paying for this sort of things just legitimises that it's OK for bank staff to act in this way and endorses that we all think it's OK for them to monetise us. I don't.

I completely agree...    There's no need for an agent unless that is the last resort (same with Visa's & Driving licences).

1 hour ago, Mike Lister said:

The other point I find mildly irritating about this is that the OP has gone straight to an agent, without even trying the branches that have been recommended or the solutions suggested. In his mind, an agent is the defacto solution, which it isn't and can't possibly be.

Also agree, some guys in the Jomtien area may have had recent success in opening an account themselves - which would prove good advice for the Op if they can name a branch which is more accomodating.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Seppius said:

In Pattaya only use this agent, 100% you will pay the going rate

maneerat tour and trave, soi post office

so whats the 'going-rate'...  you haven't even legitimised your post with such information. 

Thank you everyone who contributed to this thread.

I’ve decided to open the account myself, I have a good idea of what a bank needs

if it proves to be a nightmare, then I’ll engage the services of an agent.

Again thank you for all the advice.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

46 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

There's no need for an agent unless that is the last resort (same with Visa's & Driving licences).

I am speaking in general now, not just for a bank account, but for how long should one get f*cked around for before an agent is "the last resort?" 

Just how many "can not" and "need one more photo copy" and "need to do this paper" and "need doctor certificate" and "need Certificate of Residence" and "need TM30" and "line full come back tomorrow" etc etc, then,  there's the waiting in queues, multiple times, sometime in the hot sun and / or on your feet, not great for the elderly, and then there's the transportation to get around for all of this. Many rely on public transport, which comes at a cost.  It's all designed to push foreigners onto agents.

I defy any member to state they have never been frustrated, to the point they thought authorities were doing it on purpose.  

I don't condone corruption, but sometimes, for one's mental and physical health, and for simply getting the job done, and occasionally even saving some money, pay an agent. 

Edited by KhunHeineken
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Finspin said:

Thank you everyone who contributed to this thread.

I’ve decided to open the account myself, I have a good idea of what a bank needs

if it proves to be a nightmare, then I’ll engage the services of an agent.

Again thank you for all the advice.

Nothing wrong with that, but I just asked the question to another member, but for the consideration of the general forum, just how much are you prepared to tolerate before seeking out the services of an agent? 

It's different for everyone, but just how many knock backs, return trips, paperwork etc will you tolerate before you actually wished you went to an agent in the first place?  

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, KhunHeineken said:

I am speaking in general now, not just for a bank account, but for how long should one get f*cked around for before an agent is "the last resort?" 

Just how many "can not" and "need one more photo copy" and "need to do this paper" and "need doctor certificate" and "need Certificate of Residence" and "need TM30" and "line full come back tomorrow" etc etc, then,  there's the waiting in queues, multiple times, sometime in the hot sun and / or on your feet, not great for the elderly, and then there's the transportation to get around for all of this. Many rely on public transport, which comes at a cost.  It's all designed to push foreigners onto agents.

I defy any member to state they have never been frustrated, to the point they thought authorities were doing it on purpose.  

I don't condone corruption, but sometimes, for one's mental and physical health, and for simply getting the job done, and occasionally even saving some money, pay an agent. 

Thats all true.

Unfortunately,  the only time I wanted to use an agent,  the 2 possible agents gave me the runaround,  and in the end both couldn't do it.

It was much easier to do it myself.

So I learned: an agent is no guarantee for less headache.

(Extension of DL)

And one more thing: visa extensions by agent are problematic because you have an extension in your passport which isn't from the place you live. You might as well put a red stamp next to it: "illegal".

The agent is not going to tell you this.

(It's usually no problem)

With a bank account,  you can only hope that there are no similar pitfalls.

2 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

so whats the 'going-rate'...  you haven't even legitimised your post with such information. 

I have not a clue what the going rate is, opened my accounts about 20 years ago, my point was, that agency is known for their honesty, by not trying to rip anyone off, they are fast with good English-speaking staff

Anyway I was replying to the OP who asked, not you, but if you too are looking to open a bank account via an agent, I recommend Maneerat on soi post office

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

11 hours ago, Lorry said:

Thats all true.

Unfortunately,  the only time I wanted to use an agent,  the 2 possible agents gave me the runaround,  and in the end both couldn't do it.

It was much easier to do it myself.

So I learned: an agent is no guarantee for less headache.

(Extension of DL)

And one more thing: visa extensions by agent are problematic because you have an extension in your passport which isn't from the place you live. You might as well put a red stamp next to it: "illegal".

The agent is not going to tell you this.

(It's usually no problem)

With a bank account,  you can only hope that there are no similar pitfalls.

I'm in Pattaya.  There is a "agency" on every corner here.  The agent I use is very professional.  I can't complain with their service or price.  I use them for everything because I don't like dealing with any Thai authorities, and I don't need the grief.  I've never had a problem with immigration or the land transport office using an agent.  Happy to pay the agent, and will continue to do so. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 6/14/2024 at 4:54 PM, Mike Lister said:

The op may wish to discuss this matter with @ianguygil who works in a senior capacity at Bangkok Bank. Ian has been instrumental in helping forum members with account issues at the bank, for many years. You might want to ask Ian how much the bank charges for assisted account opening!

Thanks , Mike.. He can contact me via PM and I can have somebody contact him and assist him at a branch which is convenient once he arrives. And we appreciate the interest in Bangkok Bank

Edited by ianguygil
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/19/2024 at 7:56 AM, ianguygil said:

Thanks , Mike.. He can contact me via PM and I can have somebody contact him and assist him at a branch which is convenient once he arrives. And we appreciate the interest in Bangkok Bank

Why would anyone need to contact you about such an issue?

Can you explain why the OP can't just walk into a bank and do it himself?  What is bank's policy?

We all know there is no retirement visa without 800k baht, and there's no 800k baht without a bank account. 

I would be interested why this is happening.  Is it because of corruption?