Transferring stamps into new passport

I will pick up my new U.K. passport tomorrow (Friday) in Bangkok.

Do I have to have the stamps transferred before I travel overseas or is it ok to just keep both passports with me.  If possible I would like to fly out on Monday but that leaves no time to go to Jomtien immigration first.

i have I retirement extension and re-entry permit.

In theory the way that works is you get your new passport and you go to the immigration office that issued the extension to move the stamps BEFORE you wing your way out of the country.

I know if you have a multi-entry VISA <- that you got from a thai consulate you show both passports when you exit/re-enter (because they can't move a visa to a new passport)
BUT
you don't have a visa, you have a yearly extension w/re-entry permit and I don't believe you can fly out showing both passports when you have a year extension/re-entry permit in the old one, (although I freely admit I could be wrong).

28 minutes ago, jbaldwin said:

Do I have to have the stamps transferred before I travel overseas or is it ok to just keep both passports with me.

Transfer of stamps not required in your situation.

Just fly with both passports. 

Be mindful that at airport on return flight show reentry permit in old pp at check in.

On arrival Thailand have your pp opened at reentry page.

Obviously check that the io stamps you in to expiry date of reentry date. 

13 hours ago, jbaldwin said:

Do I have to have the stamps transferred before I travel overseas or is it ok to just keep both passports with me.  If possible I would like to fly out on Monday but that leaves no time to go to Jomtien immigration first.

Hi  you can travel in and out with old and new passport   but change as soon as possible  just explain o Immigration that you needed to travel urgently when you come back in ,

i was in the same situation last month  and was told get it done before traveling again other wise they would flag me .

now i have changed  check carefully the stamps in your new Passport and the date of expirer

in a post under the guy said they punched hole in old passport  well they do that but should not be in valid visas ,

1 hour ago, mikecha said:

I was in the same situation last month  and was told get it done before traveling again other wise they would flag me .

Told by who? Airport immigration?

That is misinformation.

You can travel with both pp internationally no problem.

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, jbaldwin said:

In principle holding both passports will work, as valid visas are still valid in a cancelled passport; the "cancelled"-stamp should also say that.

However, it's best to get the original entry visa and extension of stay moved to a new passport, and also update passport number all places it's used for ID, like bank accounts and eventual drivers license. Also loyalty cards might use your passport number for ID, so you cannot cash point or benefits with an old passport number.