Putin Promises 'Immediate' Peace if Ukraine Drops NATO Bid and Cedes Occupied Territories

21 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

If I wanted pablum I would cook some oatmeal. 

At least you are arguing at the lunacy level of NATO! 😂

Everything gets censored away again, so I am out of this thread again.

Edited by AreYouGerman
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 2

Pres Ze went to CHF and got some more promises of weapons. 

2 questions:

since UA is bankrupt [already] how they will pay for quadrupled arms?

since May 20 (something) his presidency expired that makes him just a private citizen. a tourist, how do they deal with him? unshaved boy in cargo pants and T-shirt? nothing he signs is valid AFAIK

• Confused 4
  • Agree 1

5 minutes ago, AreYouGerman said:

Then, tell the winning side that it should agree to unconditional surrender.

don't forget to steal their gov. money and interests on that money 

• Confused 3
  • Agree 1

53 minutes ago, rabas said:

Let me make it simple. Putin started the war. If Putin withdraws there can be peace tomorrow. 

This is just impossible. The key reason is Crimea, which is deeply integrated to Russia now. For over than 10 years people in Crimea are living under same laws, same currency, same language and so on. Children are born, diplomas received, pensions earned, healthcare policies implemented. There is no acceptable way to cut it out, either for Putin, either for Russian people.

• Like 1
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Woof999 said:

Yeah I know I stole your car, but I've booked it in for a service next week and the kids have gotten used to it, so better that I just keep it.

People and their lives are not a property.

Yes, Putin created this problem. This not changes a fact that now there is no possible way to fix it in Ukranian way.

• Like 1
  • Confused 4

1 minute ago, Woof999 said:

Of course there is. Putin had to do it when he stole the land. Everything on the Crimean peninsular was fully integrated into Ukraine and had been for at least half a century. Putin undid it all. It can be undone again.

The difference between us is that you are talking about land while I'm talking about people.

As for the land, there is no technical problem to give it back to Ukraine.

As for people, this just impossible. 

How about asking Crimean people, are they want to be part of Ukraine again? The result will be devastating. Or you willing to do so anyway and not care at all how many lives will be broken?

• Confused 3

10 minutes ago, Woof999 said:

Weren't those lives broken in 2014?

Yes, that was very wrong to do. Many families broken, some people had to leave their places. That was very wrong idea of Putin. Making it to happen again will just repeat his actions, with much more worse consequences. Or as the crime was made once, it its legal to repeat it again?

10 minutes ago, Woof999 said:

The majority of your ~100 or so posts are on threads related to Putin and it's pretty clear that you support him and/or his actions, so I guess there is little value in any kind of debate.

As I told earlier, then have nothing to say about topic, attack your opponent personally.

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 1

12 minutes ago, Woof999 said:

After Crimea, Donbas and every other territory that has been illegally annexed is returned, Ukraine could facilitate anyone who wants to become Russian to have their wish. Easy, no. Impossible, absolutely not. Those that don't want to be Ukrainian simply don't need to live in Ukraine. Simples. The ONLY reason that Putin cannot agree to that is because it would finish him as a "leader".

Well, your words have changed my mind. Doing this might be a better idea than keep the Crimea by any cost. More lives saving for sure. But no way Putin will go for that. His decisions already lead to deaths of thousands of humans and now there is no way back in his head than ever. Also will be hard to explain to Crimean people why they have to move from the place where they born, where the graves of their parents and so. This will be painful, but look like least harmless way.

• Confused 1

10 minutes ago, VBer said:

Well, your words have changed my mind. Doing this might be a better idea than keep the Crimea by any cost. More lives saving for sure. But no way Putin will go for that. His decisions already lead to deaths of thousands of humans and now there is no way back in his head than ever. Also will be hard to explain to Crimean people why they have to move from the place where they born, where the graves of their parents and so. This will be painful, but look like least harmless way.

Actually I'm more sympathetic to Crimea than I am to the other annexed territories. As I'm sure you know better than me, Crimea was "Russian" from the 18th century and was ceded to Ukraine when both Russia and Ukraine were part of the union. Even before 2014, the majority of people there were still more Russian than Ukrainian, although they didn't necessarily want to join Russia so much as to have more devolved power of their own. However, Putin was so confident that the wider areas of eastern Ukraine (such as Kharkiv) dreamed of integrating with Russia that I'm sure that the defence they put up against his invasion gave him at least a bit of a wakeup call.

To end, I think that defeating Putin now and reclaiming ALL the territories will displace less people in the long run, at a cost to a smaller group of people in the short term. If he succeeds in keeping the areas already occupied, I don't think that there are too many people who would believe he will be content to not do exactly the same again, over and over.

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, beautifulthailand99 said:

If you are already doing this then please ignore. But if you're not and you are blowharding for more war then could I suggest putting your money where your mouths and keyboards are.

https://www.usubc.org/site/recent-news/war-bonds--invest-to-support-ukraine

Screenshot 2024-06-16 132739.jpg

You mean like these war bonds in support of Ukraine, from Canada.

Took my full allotment last fall

https://www.canada.ca/en/department-finance/programs/financial-sector-policy/ukraine-sovereignty-bond.html

image.png.2aeb0c58682b70708bbe6329dfa001ee.png

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

35 minutes ago, kwonitoy said:

You mean like these war bonds in support of Ukraine, from Canada.

Took my full allotment last fall

https://www.canada.ca/en/department-finance/programs/financial-sector-policy/ukraine-sovereignty-bond.html

image.png.2aeb0c58682b70708bbe6329dfa001ee.png

Firstly massive respect. I mean it, you are backing your moral universe with your own money - putting your money where your mouth is.

Can you make money ?

Canadians who participate in the Ukraine Sovereignty Bond are, in effect, purchasing a regular five-year Government of Canada bond at a 3.245 per cent rate of return

So basically AAA rated back by the Canadian goverment and a five year fix at that. If interest rates go down then it's a surefire winner as you lock in that rate - but I'm getting 5.25 to 6.0% on various fixes in the UK so that's a  2 -2.5% premium to support Ukraine over a market rate. If you could hedge that with a short on the Ruble the you could probably make up the difference. That said I'm long on physical gold have been since the invasion as I'm a doomster in temperament.Things can always get worse and that's the way the wind is blowing sadly.

Edited by beautifulthailand99

3 minutes ago, kwonitoy said:

How the Ukraine Sovereignty Bond will work

Canadians who participate in the Ukraine Sovereignty Bond are, in effect, purchasing a regular five-year Government of Canada bond at a 3.245 per cent rate of return. To provide investors with confidence about the safety of their funds, the Ukraine Sovereignty Bond is likewise backed by Canada’s AAA credit rating.

The bond will pay interest twice per year, on February 24 and August 24, until the bond matures in 2027. For example, a $1,000 investment at a yield of 3.245 per cent should expect to receive $16.23 every February and August through 2027.

The bond will mature on August 24, 2027, Ukrainian Independence Day, at which time bondholders will receive the full repayment of their initial investment.

There is a return on it, much like Canada Savings Bonds that I grew up with. Not the most astute investment but there is a return on the money, the right thing for me to do as a Ukrainian descended Canadian with the financial means. They sold out very quickly.

Oh yes, Canada I am reminded of a notorious Canadian incident when Zelenskiy visited. The "difficult" Banderite connections who before Zelenskiy's heroic stance was the most famous Ukrainian nationalist. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, beautifulthailand99 said:

Oh yes, Canada I am reminded of a notorious Canadian incident when Zelenskiy visited. The "difficult" Banderite connections who before Zelenskiy's heroic stance was the most famous Ukrainian nationalist. 

Ahh yes the "Gotcha" post

The government of Canada jumped on a bandwagon, as politicians do and invited this guy without doing any vetting or background checks.

I didn't vote for our current government don't agree with them on most of their policies

I didn't invite the man to Parliament.

Ancient history

• Confused 2