Airplane Makes Emergency Landing At U Tapao Airport After Landing Gear Problem

webfact

2 hours ago, Georgealbert said:

These VIP companies keep their flight plans and manifest very secretive to protect the privacy of their customers. As there was no reportable incident, I doubt anything will become public.

My own personal view is now leading me to believe this was a planned refuelling stop, hence the 68 minute turnaround time on the ground.The warning alert for the nose gear was detected on pre-landing checks on the approach to the airport, and the airport decided to put in a full emergency response plan as a precaution. Once on the ground the pilot received technical advice on solutions from home-base, and these were actioned, checked and okayed to proceed..

The aircraft only left Manila, today at approximately 09.00 this morning thai time and is heading north east currently. I can find no listed destination, but seems to be in the direction of Japan possibly.

IMG_3312.jpeg

The aircraft involved, has now landed at Tokyo, Haneda Airport.

IMG_3318.jpeg

• Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, SiSePuede419 said:

You're saying why would there be a problem with wiring on an car that's 30+ years old.  Or 20 years old.  Or whatever.  The point is mechanical systems like landing gear motors and associated mechanical gear do wear out and fail over time.

What country"s educational system failed you in Critical Thinking skills?

Just curious. 🤔

Frankly I'm not sure that I am the one who is lacking critical thinking here. It is not that the landing gear mechanisms would wear out over time that I'm questioning, it is why the light would come on mid flight on the way to the Philippines. Have you thought about that? 

Sí puedo, pero no, no lo haré. 

Edited by spidermike007

Have located the ADS-B (Automatic Dependent Surveillance–Broadcast) flight data/log information for the approach into U-Tapao.

It would appear that the plane started to descend at 13.18 EDT (Eastern Daylight Time)(00.18 Thai time.). The aircraft landed at 13.44 EDT.(00.44 Thai time).

The data seems to show a steady decrease in altitude, with what seems to be the largest course change coming just before it started to descend, at 13.17.

My knowledge does not allow any further interpretation of this data, and not clear if this is a normal approach. If anyone is better qualified, please give an overview.

IMG_3322.jpeg

IMG_3321.jpeg

Edited by Georgealbert
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 6/15/2024 at 11:05 AM, Moonlover said:

The pilot did not 'feel the need' to do an emergency landing, he followed the clear and strict instructions to land as soon as possible. It may only have been a spurious electrical problem or it could mean something more serious. And it seems that it was, the undercarriage initially failed to deploy.

Pilots don't try and 'second guess' a problem, they follow the procedures. They DO NOT ignore warning indicators, ever. The flight crew of Lauda Air flight 004 did that and look what happened!

Regarding the comment in the last paragraph firstly it had nothing to do with the landing gear but the reverse thrust activating during flight.

If you care to read the report of the investigation into the accident Lauda had followed all the recommendations from Boeing who had never encountered the problems leading up to the accident.

From memory no blame was attributed to the crew or airline.

4 minutes ago, StevieAus said:

Regarding the comment in the last paragraph firstly it had nothing to do with the landing gear but the reverse thrust activating during flight.

If you care to read the report of the investigation into the accident Lauda had followed all the recommendations from Boeing who had never encountered the problems leading up to the accident.

From memory no blame was attributed to the crew or airline.

I got that information from the report via Wikipedia:

'At 23:08, Welch and Thurner received a visual warning indication on the EICAS display that a possible system failure would cause the thrust reverser on the No. 1 engine to deploy in flight. After consulting the aircraft's Quick Reference Handbook, they determined that the alert was "coming on and off" and that it was "just an advisory thing". The pilots took no remedial action', 

Make of it that you will.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lauda_Air_Flight_004

According to Airfleets web site this AcJ 319 tail number 9H-LIV is registered with COMLUX AVIATION Malta since 06-10-2020.

If you look at the COMLUX.com web site you can view that this Airbus A319 is a luxury VIP Plane for charter.

I did not attach any photos od the plane interior as I do not kmow if it is permitted.

3 hours ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women.

What is wrong with you? Take a single question out of context and post something so bizarre out of topic childish comment? You sure all is ok?

18 hours ago, Woof999 said:

Also, if any issue was detected shortly before arrival, that wouldn't have given enough time for all those ambulances to get there. From top of descent to landing was within the time it would have taken a Pattaya ambulance to get anywhere near.

There is a hospital right next door.....

47 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

There is a hospital right next door.....

And?

You clearly have zero idea about emergency/crisis planning.

This incident had 40 ambulances on standby, do you really think 1 hospital could supply that? The attendance of emergency responders is pre planned so that there is enough medical personal/equipment and transport ready at the RVP, and it will always come from many areas, so that normal emergency response can be maintained for other incidents/emergencies in all areas.

Any possible mass casualty event, will need to transport casualties to many hospitals, as a single hospital will not have the capacity to deal with more than a handful of seriously injured patients.

Edited by Georgealbert

16 hours ago, Georgealbert said:

Have located the ADS-B (Automatic Dependent Surveillance–Broadcast) flight data/log information for the approach into U-Tapao.

It would appear that the plane started to descend at 13.18 EDT (Eastern Daylight Time)(00.18 Thai time.). The aircraft landed at 13.44 EDT.(00.44 Thai time).

The data seems to show a steady decrease in altitude, with what seems to be the largest course change coming just before it started to descend, at 13.17.

My knowledge does not allow any further interpretation of this data, and not clear if this is a normal approach. If anyone is better qualified, please give an overview.

IMG_3322.jpeg

IMG_3321.jpeg

"My knowledge does not allow any further interpretation of this data, and not clear if this is a normal approach. If anyone is better qualified, please give an overview."

That's a normal instrument approach to RWY18 joining at PIWAT.

image.jpeg.e55dd5a29de8330df4a5af6c786b66d6.jpeg

image.jpeg.69cde6fc308929a4d825452fff7e2214.jpeg

23 minutes ago, BKKBike09 said:

"My knowledge does not allow any further interpretation of this data, and not clear if this is a normal approach. If anyone is better qualified, please give an overview."

That's a normal instrument approach to RWY18 joining at PIWAT.

image.jpeg.e55dd5a29de8330df4a5af6c786b66d6.jpeg

image.jpeg.69cde6fc308929a4d825452fff7e2214.jpeg

Thank you.

So other than the issue with the landing gear warning, everything was routine?

Edited by Georgealbert

1 minute ago, BKKBike09 said:

Looks like it.

Looking at all the information, my thinking now, is this was a planned re-fuelling stop, given it was only on the ground for 68 minutes.

Sometime during the flight, the crew received a warning alert about the landing gear, and informed ATC, at U-Tapao, before the landing.

I can find no record of a transponder 7700 code, but the crew may have declared “pan, pan” depending on the airlines procedures.

ATC and the airport management actioned a full pre-determined response for a declared full emergency, based on aircraft type/size, rather than reported number of pax onboard.

Once on the ground the pilot communicated with a home-base engineer, for a suitable fixed, which worked, was checked and allowed the flight to continue onto Manilla.

The plane flew to Japan yesterday and is currently flying west today.

• Thanks 1

This same aircraft, Airbus A319, operated by Comlux Malta, registration number 9H-LIV, flight MLM567, has this afternoon, 17 June, just landed again at U-Tapao Airport, at 16.40 ,after a 6 plus hour flight from Japan.

No emergency declared this time, but on landing, tracking data stopped.

IMG_3338.jpeg

1 hour ago, Georgealbert said:

This same aircraft, Airbus A319, operated by Comlux Malta, registration number 9H-LIV, flight MLM567, has this afternoon, 17 June, just landed again at U-Tapao Airport, at 16.40 ,after a 6 plus hour flight from Japan.

No emergency declared this time, but on landing, tracking data stopped.

IMG_3338.jpeg

The plane left the airport again at 17.46, so just over an hour re-fuelling stop. Which seems to suggest further that the landing in the early hours of Saturday, was a planned routine re-fuelling stop, with the added drama of a landing gear alert.

3 hours ago, AdamRich said:

I think they were going to Utapao as a fuel stop anyway, but as they were preparing to land, there was a problem with the gear.

Yes agree, used U-Tapao as a planned re-fuelling stop on both legs of the trip. The aircraft had an hour stop at U-Tapao again yesterday, on a flight from Japan before returning to Dubai, Al Maktoum International Airport.

IMG_3342.jpeg

On 6/15/2024 at 10:02 AM, webfact said:

image.jpeg

A FLYDUBAI aircraft heading from Dubai to the Philippines made an emergency landing at U Tapao Airport soon after midnight last night (June 15) after the landing gear initially failed to deploy, Sanook.com, TV Channel 7, Naewna and Daily News newspapers said.

Approximately a hundred passengers plus the captain, a co-pilot and seven crew members were unharmed.

The captain of Airbus A319-115 (CJ) aircraft asked to land at U Tapao Airport at 00.30 a.m. after an emergency light flashed that the landing gear would not deploy.

The airport’s air traffic controllers quickly alerted the ground staff to prepare for this emergency landing with over 40 ambulances from Rayong and Chonburi quickly getting there.

by TNR Staff

PICTURE: The FlyDubai flight making an emergency landing at U Tapao Airport last night. Photo: CR and shared on X by F91 Trafficpro

Full story: THAI NEWSROOM 2024-06-15

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

The Red Bull heir just snuck back in ...nudge nudge wink wink 

52 minutes ago, Thaipan68 said:

Something not right about this story, the plane only holds 16

image.png.1c2cdb69bbd7c588d0edfa040bdbe0b9.png

That is because it is a private first class jet. It is not a standard commercial airline.

https://comlux.com/aviation/fleet/airbus-acj-319-9h-liv

All of which has been discussed already in the thread, Even the picture you posted says 19 pax, but you state holds 16!