Jon Stewart mocks corporate exploitation of LGBTQ+ Pride

Message added by Juana Tenderloin,

This is the Gay forum with enhanced Forum Rules - Please observe the Code of Conduct for this forum.

As usual, he nails it.

Jon Stewart: 'Stop pretending' corporations support Pride (advocate.com)

Jon Stewart is fed up with companies co-opting LGBTQ+ Pride for their own bottom line.

The Daily Show host recently roasted the cringe-worthy Pride campaigns of several corporations, including Burger King, Skittles, and Target. Stewart claimed that companies have recently been using the queer community for their own financial gain after decades of turning their backs of them.

“Pride Month is, of course, that time of year when corporations get together and financially exploit the decades-long struggle of gay people for acceptance and equality," Stewart said in Monday's episode. "Remember when you were fired from that bank job after you were outed? Well, Burger King does! With a burger that has two bottom buns!"

18 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Sorry, I disagree. Yes, the companies only go for the pink dollar and don't care too much about the content. On the other hand, they show LGBT+ couples, something that would have been impossible just a few decades ago. The more often the general public sees gay/lesbian couples, the more "normal" it will become to also see them on the streets, and young people are encouraged to come out.

Let the companies do what they do, I say, as it does have a positive effect towards tolerance and acceptance. 

9 minutes ago, onthemoon said:

Sorry, I disagree. Yes, the companies only go for the pink dollar and don't care too much about the content. On the other hand, they show LGBT+ couples, something that would have been impossible just a few decades ago. The more often the general public sees gay/lesbian couples, the more "normal" it will become to also see them on the streets,I  and young people are encouraged to come out.

Let the companies do what they do, I say, as it does have a positive effect towards tolerance and acceptance. 

I see your point but look how both Target and Bud caved when pressured by the anti  LGBT right wing.

1 hour ago, Jingthing said:

I see your point but look how both Target and Bud caved when pressured by the anti  LGBT right wing.

True, they care more about profit than the cause. The culture in the US is way behind many other countries in tolerance and acceptance. I don't think that we should discourage other companies from promoting gay values even in that country, though. Keep encouraging them to show gay/lesbian couples, I say. Even if they do it only for the pink dollar, the more people see these couples, the more it becomes normal and nothing to get upset about.