New COVID Sub-variant KP.2 on the Rise in Thailand

13 minutes ago, johng said:

The chances of dying where always very slim.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/36341800/

The IFRs had a median of 0.034% (interquartile range (IQR) 0.013-0.056%) for the 0-59 years old population, and 0.095% (IQR 0.036-0.119%) for the 0-69 years old. The median IFR was 0.0003% at 0-19 years, 0.002% at 20-29 years, 0.011% at 30-39 years, 0.035% at 40-49 years, 0.123% at 50-59 years, and 0.506% at 60-69 years.

Again, it's not just dying that's the problem. My young and super healthy friend lost his taste for 2 years and still has issues.

• Agree 2

31 minutes ago, johng said:

The chances of dying where always very slim.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/36341800/

The IFRs had a median of 0.034% (interquartile range (IQR) 0.013-0.056%) for the 0-59 years old population, and 0.095% (IQR 0.036-0.119%) for the 0-69 years old. The median IFR was 0.0003% at 0-19 years, 0.002% at 20-29 years, 0.011% at 30-39 years, 0.035% at 40-49 years, 0.123% at 50-59 years, and 0.506% at 60-69 years.

A study from the same Stanford Univ. professor who predicted early on that the COVID pandemic would only cause 10,000 deaths in the U.S. -- with the actual number ending up at 1.2 million!

A fiasco in the making? As the coronavirus pandemic takes hold, we are making decisions without reliable data

By John P.A. Ioannidis

March 17, 2020

"If we assume that case fatality rate among individuals infected by SARS-CoV-2 is 0.3% in the general population — a mid-range guess from my Diamond Princess analysis — and that 1% of the U.S. population gets infected (about 3.3 million people), this would translate to about 10,000 deaths. This sounds like a huge number, but it is buried within the noise of the estimate of deaths from “influenza-like illness.”

https://www.statnews.com/2020/03/17/a-fiasco-in-the-making-as-the-coronavirus-pandemic-takes-hold-we-are-making-decisions-without-reliable-data/

Not to mention:

Dr. John Ioannidis: “The Biggest Mistakes I am Sure Are Mine.”

April 19, 2024

"While there’s a lot of competition, it’s hard to think of another scientist who was so wrong, early, so consistently, and so publicly.

During some of these appearances, Dr. Ioannidis told viewers to distrust everything they’d heard so far. In his appearance with Mr. Levin on April 2020, for example, he said that “the evidence we had early in the pandemic was utterly unreliable.” He said predictions of mass death were “completely off, it is just an astronomical error.” Dr. Ioannidis then told viewers he had newer and better data."

https://sciencebasedmedicine.org/mistakes/

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

On 6/17/2024 at 6:25 AM, Ben Zioner said:

masks should be mandatory

The land of smiles is finished forever in my opinion.

Now it's just the land of the crazy eyes.

People glare at me with their faraway stare and I can't 

tell if they're angry, happy or just insane, so I just ignore them.

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Roo Island said:

Well. Not being vaxxed kinda wishes death and disease on others. Vaxxed or not

Only if you choose to frame it like that.

• Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

A study from the same Stanford Univ. professor who predicted early on that the COVID pandemic would only cause 10,000 deaths in the U.S. -- with the actual number ending up at 1.2 million!

A fiasco in the making? As the coronavirus pandemic takes hold, we are making decisions without reliable data

By John P.A. Ioannidis

March 17, 2020

"If we assume that case fatality rate among individuals infected by SARS-CoV-2 is 0.3% in the general population — a mid-range guess from my Diamond Princess analysis — and that 1% of the U.S. population gets infected (about 3.3 million people), this would translate to about 10,000 deaths. This sounds like a huge number, but it is buried within the noise of the estimate of deaths from “influenza-like illness.”

https://www.statnews.com/2020/03/17/a-fiasco-in-the-making-as-the-coronavirus-pandemic-takes-hold-we-are-making-decisions-without-reliable-data/

Not to mention:

Dr. John Ioannidis: “The Biggest Mistakes I am Sure Are Mine.”

April 19, 2024

"While there’s a lot of competition, it’s hard to think of another scientist who was so wrong, early, so consistently, and so publicly.

During some of these appearances, Dr. Ioannidis told viewers to distrust everything they’d heard so far. In his appearance with Mr. Levin on April 2020, for example, he said that “the evidence we had early in the pandemic was utterly unreliable.” He said predictions of mass death were “completely off, it is just an astronomical error.” Dr. Ioannidis then told viewers he had newer and better data."

https://sciencebasedmedicine.org/mistakes/

John, perhaps you have posted this information elsewhere and I have missed it, but what is regarded as the latest/best covid vaccine available in Thailand, in the North if you happen to know that also?

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, Mike Lister said:

John, perhaps you have posted this information elsewhere and I have missed it, but what is regarded as the latest/best covid vaccine available in Thailand, in the North if you happen to know that also?

Mike, the latest available vaccine here and elsewhere is the 2023-24 version aimed at the XBB variant that is no longer the main one circulating. In Thailand right now, AFAICT, only the Pfizer vaccine is available in that type. Last time I checked, I couldn't find anyone offering the comparable Moderna COVID vaccine here.  I don't think any other older versions are still available here.

The last update I did on all that was back in March, when as far as the central BKK authorities knew, only several locations in BKK were offering the newer Pfizer vaccine.  Though that may have changed/expanded since then. One place to start is by calling the Ministry of Public Health's COVID public hotline (where they do speak English) at phone 1422 and inquiring on the latest for your specific area. They may or may not know more...

Here was the prior recap relating to places in the BKK area:

Also, another forum member posted here recently about another location outside BKK in the North where he had obtained the newer Pfizer COVID vaccine:

"As of two week’s ago, Bangkok Hospital, Chiang Mai were offering Pfizer Comirnaty - ฿2,500 including vaccine, doctor’s fee and hospital fee. "

https://aseannow.com/topic/1329918-new-covid-sub-variant-kp2-on-the-rise-in-thailand/?do=findComment&comment=18996640

PS - Western countries like the U.S. and U.K. will have new version 2024-25 versions available starting this fall targeted the newer variants... Presumably those will become available for private purchase here in Thailand sometime thereafter. But with the current XBB version of the vaccines, their arrival in Thailand seemed to follow about 6 months behind their rollout in the west.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Mike, the latest available vaccine here and elsewhere is the 2023-24 version aimed at the XBB variant that is no longer the main one circulating. In Thailand right now, AFAICT, only the Pfizer vaccine is available in that type. Last time I checked, I couldn't find anyone offering the comparable Moderna COVID vaccine here.  I don't think any other older versions are still available here.

The last update I did on all that was back in March, when as far as the central BKK authorities knew, only several locations in BKK were offering the newer Pfizer vaccine.  Though that may have changed/expanded since then. One place to start is by calling the Ministry of Public Health's COVID public hotline (where they do speak English) at phone 1422 and inquiring on the latest for your specific area. They may or may not know more...

Here was the prior recap relating to places in the BKK area:

Also, another forum member posted here recently about another location outside BKK in the North where he had obtained the newer Pfizer COVID vaccine:

"As of two week’s ago, Bangkok Hospital, Chiang Mai were offering Pfizer Comirnaty - ฿2,500 including vaccine, doctor’s fee and hospital fee. "

https://aseannow.com/topic/1329918-new-covid-sub-variant-kp2-on-the-rise-in-thailand/?do=findComment&comment=18996640

Thanks John, I appreciate the information and your efforts on this topic.

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, johng said:

No no no and no big "fing no"   being "vaxed" does not  prevent transmission they never tested for transmission  "at the speed of science" 

Ummmmm....if you don't get get sick, you are not going to transmit the disease. Especially if your symptoms are mild and the time you are sick is reduced.

https://www.ucsf.edu/news/2022/12/424546/covid-19-vaccines-prior-infection-reduce-transmission-omicron

Vaccination and boosting, especially when recent, helped to limit the spread of COVID-19 in California prisons during the first Omicron wave, according to an analysis by researchers at UC San Francisco that examined transmission between people living in the same cell. 

The study demonstrates the benefits of vaccination and boosting, even in settings where many people are still getting infected, in reducing transmission. And it shows the cumulative effects from boosting and the additional protection that vaccination gives to those who were previously infected. The likelihood of transmission fell by 11% for each additional dose.

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, rattlesnake said:

A friendly reminder from 2021, about what our 'democracies' implemented:

Countries making COVID-19 vaccines mandatory

https://www.reuters.com/business/healthcare-pharmaceuticals/countries-making-covid-19-vaccines-mandatory-2021-08-16/

From that 2021 report:

"Dec 30 (Reuters) - Governments have been making COVID-19 shots mandatory for health workers and other high-risk groups, pushed by a sharp upturn in infections caused by the Delta variant and a slowdown in vaccinations, as well as the new Omicron variant.

A growing number of countries are also making shots compulsory for public servants and other workers."

And that was driven at the time by the following reality:

"WHO estimates that between 80 000 and 180 000 health and care workers could have died from COVID-19 in the period between January 2020 to May 2021, converging to a medium scenario of 115 500 deaths1.

These deaths are a tragic loss. They are also an irreplaceable gap in the world’s pandemic response."

https://www.who.int/news/item/20-10-2021-health-and-care-worker-deaths-during-covid-19

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Roo Island said:

I'll just go with what you said.. 'Not going to waste my time'.

I very rarely bother with covid conversations because all you guys think you know it all

and the rest of us know you don't and it's always just a boring stalemate

• Thumbs Up 1

9 minutes ago, rattlesnake said:

Your inability to explain your rationale is duly noted.

Easy to explain but hard for covid deniers to accept

3 minutes ago, SenorTashi said:

I'll just go with what you said.. 'Not going to waste my time'.

I very rarely bother with covid conversations because all you guys think you know it all

and the rest of us know you don't and it's always just a boring stalemate

Again. Hard to have intelligent conversations with covid deniers. Put up a link backing your statement, or it's not true.

• Haha 1

On 6/18/2024 at 7:05 AM, Roo Island said:

Many ignore those who survived but struggle for years with long covid. It's not just about deaths.

At least 1 person decided not to struggle for years with long covid. Most people don't have the resources of an American CEO too.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/03/21/texas-roadhouse-founder-kent-taylor-dies-at-65-after-taking-life-following-post-covid-struggle-.html

• Sad 1

On 6/17/2024 at 9:11 AM, Mike Lister said:

In all fairness, my last shot was exactly one year ago and by all accounts, ineffective against the current variants.

Ive had none and seems to effective against all variants !

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1